Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 642 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 809 reviews
VINE VOICEon May 25, 2010
My daughter was 5-years old when we first played the original Super Mario Galaxy. She would constantly corner me every day so that we could play it over and over, and after we beat it, over and over again. In fact, I have beaten the original game a total of 10 times with my daughter as my trusty side-kick at the player 2 spot, grabbing stars, freezing bad guys, or shooting the occasional bad guy or gold dot to get me a much needed coin.

So imagine our delight when we heard on Amazon.com last June that Super Mario Galaxy 2 was available for pre-order...without a confirmed date, of course, but ready for pre-order nonetheless.

Does Super Mario Galaxy 2 hold up? Does it still manage to capture the heart of a 7-year old girl and her father? The answer is a resounding YES.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 completely operates in its own right by being a stand-alone story. The only nod to the previous Galaxy comes in the form of Rosalina who will appear if you have significant difficulty with a level so that she can actually show you how to pass a level (at the cost of getting a bronze, NOT gold star). Back to the story (or the little of it that there is, a la most Mario games), Princess Peach has been kidnapped by a GIGANTIC Bowser (surprise!). Naturally, Mario is going to rescue her with the help of star power from master luma (star-like creatures with the capability to transform).

Who is there to help Mario this time? Well, this time Luigi is a playable character later on, as opposed to the original Galaxy which forced you to take the torturous path of collecting all 120 stars before unlocking him. Yoshi is on board as well, your trusty steed who can eat red-hot peppers to move quickly and cross water no less, or become a blimp full of hot air, or glow to reveal hidden paths.

The biggest change for us as a father-daughter team is that Player 2 has more to do now. Player 2 is actually an orange luma who follows Mario around. Now, Player 2 (in addition to freezing enemies and grabbing stars) can actually spin as well to knock enemies to the ground or grab coins from remote places by flying over to them quickly and then bringing them back to Mario. Also, making Player 2 an actual, tangible entity in the game (as opposed to a mysterious P2 star that has no discernible presence) makes it even more fun for my daughter who gets caught up in the action because the game itself is usually too hard for her as Player 1. She will actually say things like, "Daddy, you get the one on the right, I'll get the one on the left." It's extremely hard to pry her away from it when it's time for a story and bed.

Has the gameplay changed much? Well, no, the same mechanics are there. It's interesting that the game starts off as a 2D sidescrolling event that leads into somewhat a 3D perspective until it's a full-blown 3D adventure. It's a subtle, baby-step transition and, as an IGN reviewer put it, it pays off in getting those unfamiliar with the original to get into the action.

Despite having the same mechanics of jumping and spinning, Mario has some new powerups. Cloud Mario can create little tufts of clouds to hop up. Rock Mario has our hero turning into a solidified boulder to roll around (and even "bowl" to hilarious effect). Drill Mario allows our hero to drill through to inaccessible areas. And, of course, there's Yoshi who is able to eat his enemies and use a couple of funny power-ups of his own as previously mentioned. Bee Mario, Fire Mario, Spring Mario, etc., make their return.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is smooth, polished and shows the time-dedicated love and attention that was bestowed upon it during its 3-year absence. It takes the best parts of the original and makes them better while taking away what didn't work the first time. They have wisely included more for player 2 to do while acknowledging that Mario is still, front and center, the star of the show. The music is even more fully orchestrated than before. The attention to detail is phenomenal and showcases Nintendo's desire to never compromise by releasing a product too quickly without undergoing the rigorous quality control that this game clearly had.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a delight for children and even a delight for me as a 37-year old father. This is my "daughter and me" time, when we share a fun family night (Mommy likes to watch ;D), night-after-night and it is my modern-day Monopoly. Cheers to Nintendo for taking a winning formula, keeping it more than alive, and breathing fresh ideas into this franchise.

So what are you waiting for? Purchase the game...this is one of the flagship titles, and deservedly so.
3232 comments| 460 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 23, 2015
As parents we try to limit our kids to as little "visual junk food" as possible. Because engaging the mind is important at any age, and especially for children, we're consistently looking for wii games that accomplish this goal, while also being entertaining. Super Mario Galaxy 2 does this, leading the pack in visual appeal and creativity.

Each "galaxy" contains worlds that are as diverse and creative as anyone could imagine. Some are plain and fairly straightforward, while others are gems of visual richness that are challenging to complete. Some worlds defy the laws of physics, requiring the operator to use their intellect and problem solving skills to move on to the next level. All contain a creative spark, and that trademark Mario lightness and fun.

Our kids love this game, and it hasn't become boring to them even after playing it for several months. As parents we find ourselves drawn in as well, mesmerized by the visual appeal, and left with one question on our minds: "who comes up with this great stuff?" Kudos to Nintendo, this is a world-class game for the wii.
on June 24, 2010
I got SMG2 last week and I'm in World 3 so my comments only apply to what I have seen so far in the game.

Pros:

- The levels are much easier to access. You don't have to walk all around the spaceship to figure out what levels you haven't completed yet. That is a nice improvement.
- If you liked the first game, then you're almost guaranteed to like this one because it is so similar to SMG1.

Cons:

- Music is definitely not as good as the music in SMG1. The music in the first one was so good that I just had to get the songs for it online. (1/12/11 update: you can listen to all the songs for free on Grooveshark)
- Lack of novelty. This can be a good or a bad thing. Some reviews suggest that this game has massive changes/improvements over SMG1. If that's what you're expecting I would say prepare to be disappointed. With the exception of a few relatively minor changes, you're pretty much playing the same game (which is NOT to say that it isn't fun!). SMG1 was SO different from other video games that the novelty of it blew people's mind. The changes in this game when compared to the first one are very minor.
- Although the graphics are good, they are not as impressive as SMG1 if you ask me. The background graphics (of galaxies, etc) blew me away in SMG1 so maybe my expectations were too high this time.

One final comment I would like to make is about the level of difficulty. Yes, some levels are very challenging. But (so far) I disagree with some reviewers that are saying that this game is A LOT harder than SMG1. I think they're about the same. If you can beat SMG1 I don't see why you wouldn't be able to beat this game.
on February 26, 2014
I have only had the game for about two weeks and so far I like it. I have found it to be a bit faster then Super Mario Galaxy in it progress but its pretty fun. I purchased this game to continue Mario's journey and I can say it was well worth it. I like how they have brought back Yoshi and some of the older game music. However I have found some of the levels to be a little easier then the 1st game and some of the bosses are also less challenging. The graphics I think are a little better then the original game. I also found that the camera angles can be a bit of a problem at times but that was also true with the 1st game. All in all i have enjoyed playing it and think it is worth the price.
I really can't understand why more people don't talk about the two player mode in this game. In the first Galaxy game, two player was a needless afterthought. In this game, it's a fun tactical enhancement.

The second player can provide several services to Mario:

* Collecting star bits (like the first Galaxy game)
* Stomping low-level enemies
* Freezing larger enemies, bowling balls, etc.
* Collecting coins, even hard to reach ones
* Generally helping Mario with the tougher challenges

This is great fun. Finally Dad can help the kids through tough levels!

We also like New Super Mario Bros. Wii for its full two-player mode. In that game, up to four people play equal, independent characters (Mario, Luigi, Toad...) But frankly, my daughter is a lot better at games than I am, and in Galaxy 2, I get to play her assistant. It's a great concept.

In general, this is a solid upgrade from the first Galaxy game. The rough edges have been evened out, making it less frustrating and more fun overall. There are lots of hidden Galaxies, and periodically a character will invite you to a challenge as well. Five stars for another winning Mario title.
on January 2, 2017
By far the best Super Mario game of the series! It's bright and colorful, fun yet challenging. Sometimes Mario games can get a little frustrating and boring, but this one is not like that at all. It just pulls you in and makes you want to play. The fact that it has an outer space theme is unique and the gameplay is just awesome. There are so many moves you can learn to master and so many little tasks and little games within the game. The worlds are whimsical and entertaining. Highly recommend whether you are a super mario fan or not!
on May 28, 2014
While the first Galaxy was a fantastic game, this one builds off of all of the good things that game had going for it and made them great. Playing Galaxy 2 On my Wii U I was shocked at how awsome this game looks graphically. Considering it was developed for the Wii it looks really outstanding.

I often felt a little dizzy playing the first Galaxy game, not sure if I just got used to it or if there is just less use of gravity trickery in this game but I did not feel as dizzy playing this one. Aside from better graphics the biggest difference for me in this game was I felt the level design was much better and creative. I really liked the use of Yoshi in a 3d style Mario game. I feel this is the better game of the two.

To me if you have yet to play the Galaxy series for whatever reasn I would suggest picking them both up, however if money is tight or you just don't have time for both Galaxy 2 is the one to get.
on May 29, 2016
Great Game I Loved It A Lot There Are Some Stars On Here That Getting Them Is Quite A Task Such As Daredevil Runs And Speed Run And A Few Green Stars This Game Has 242 Stars Not The 120 Like The First One Before You Buy This Game Do A Little Bit Of Research On It I Had To Have A Guide Help Me Find All The Green Stars Cause Without It There Was No Way I Could Have Done It Also The Grandmaster Galaxy The Last Galaxy In The Game The 242 Star Titled " The Perfect Run " Hardest Star To Get In Whole Game Look It Up On YouTube!
on April 12, 2017
Loved the game over the years. The disc has held up well and there have been no glitches. It ranks behind the Zelda series as my favorite
on November 15, 2010
Remember the original, and even many of the follow up iterations?

It may be easy to take one look at Super Mario Galaxy 2, see the same gravity-altering traps and spherical worlds from its predecessor, and dismiss this as a by-the-numbers sequel to the superb original. But by assuming you know what to expect from Mario's latest adventure, you would be doing yourself and this game a great disservice. This is not only the new standard against which every 3D platformer must now be judged, but it also seamlessly integrates so many elements from Mario's 2D roots that it stands toe-to-toe with even its genre-defining progenitors. Every aspect of this game is absolutely bursting with joy. The vibrant artistic design immediately welcomes you into this colorful world, and the catchy soundtrack deftly mixes classic tunes with new compositions to provide the perfect backdrop for your goomba-stomping, star-snatching fun. But it's the expertly designed levels that will keep you coming back, even after you've seen everything this game has to offer, just to experience it one more time. This is an instant classic that belongs alongside the best games Nintendo has ever created.

Things are once again rotten in the Mushroom Kingdom. Bowser has taken Princess Peach prisoner for the umpteenth time, forcing Mario to momentarily put his plumbing gig on hold to rescue his fair lady. The best thing that can be said about the story is that it mostly stays in the background. A few lighthearted exchanges between Mario and his foes precede major battles, but there is only a brief break in the action before you get back to flinging fireballs and cracking shells. In fact, Galaxy 2 is much more streamlined than its predecessor. The elaborate hub world that has appeared in each of Mario's previous 3D adventures has been scrapped and replaced by an easy-to-navigate map that lets you hop right into the next level. Galaxy 2 has less downtime than the original, ensuring you're always engaged and entertained.

And you'll be happy to jump right into the action because Galaxy 2 is a long and often challenging adventure. There are lots of different activities to take part in, but everything comes with the same prize: a shining star. It takes 70 of these celestial bodies to make it to the end of the game, but there are many more hidden throughout the universe waiting to be discovered. No matter what you're doing in Galaxy 2, everything feels just right, thanks to the ultraprecise controls. It's a breeze leaping between walls, performing deadly butt-stomps, or jumping across lava-filled pits. There is an unabashed joy in movement that makes even running around the colorful worlds and taking in the uplifting atmosphere feel special. The camera does an admirable job of framing the action, giving you a clear view even when you're dancing on the ceiling in a reverse-gravity room or leaping between floating meteors in space. There are a few times where the angle is less than ideal, making it difficult to line up an exact jump, but for the most part, the camera performs its duty with flying colors.

I borrowed much of this review from CNET as they said it better than I could. If you like Mario Games, and you like SMG, you'll love SMG II

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.