Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

Super Mario Galaxy 2
Format: Video Game|Change

on December 26, 2017
Our eight year old son received this for Christmas and has requested I post a review declaring it is great! As an older parent, this game is drastically different from the Mario Brothers games I grew up playing. The biggest difference and what my son likes the most about it is the fact it is not a "side-scrolling" game that dictates your movement. This version allows you more freedom to move how you want and explore, which is what my son likes the most.

The biggest disappointment to me is the fact it is predominantly a one-player game. There are a couple options for a second player to get involved, but these seem to be after-thoughts without a lot of function or usefulness. I prefer the versions where multiple people can play simultaneously for family fun. But, in the end, the eight year old enjoys it and that, after all, is the most important part.
I really can't understand why more people don't talk about the two player mode in this game. In the first Galaxy game, two player was a needless afterthought. In this game, it's a fun tactical enhancement.

The second player can provide several services to Mario:

* Collecting star bits (like the first Galaxy game)
* Stomping low-level enemies
* Freezing larger enemies, bowling balls, etc.
* Collecting coins, even hard to reach ones
* Generally helping Mario with the tougher challenges

This is great fun. Finally Dad can help the kids through tough levels!

We also like New Super Mario Bros. Wii for its full two-player mode. In that game, up to four people play equal, independent characters (Mario, Luigi, Toad...) But frankly, my daughter is a lot better at games than I am, and in Galaxy 2, I get to play her assistant. It's a great concept.

In general, this is a solid upgrade from the first Galaxy game. The rough edges have been evened out, making it less frustrating and more fun overall. There are lots of hidden Galaxies, and periodically a character will invite you to a challenge as well. Five stars for another winning Mario title.
11 comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon May 25, 2010
My daughter was 5-years old when we first played the original Super Mario Galaxy. She would constantly corner me every day so that we could play it over and over, and after we beat it, over and over again. In fact, I have beaten the original game a total of 10 times with my daughter as my trusty side-kick at the player 2 spot, grabbing stars, freezing bad guys, or shooting the occasional bad guy or gold dot to get me a much needed coin.

So imagine our delight when we heard on Amazon.com last June that Super Mario Galaxy 2 was available for pre-order...without a confirmed date, of course, but ready for pre-order nonetheless.

Does Super Mario Galaxy 2 hold up? Does it still manage to capture the heart of a 7-year old girl and her father? The answer is a resounding YES.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 completely operates in its own right by being a stand-alone story. The only nod to the previous Galaxy comes in the form of Rosalina who will appear if you have significant difficulty with a level so that she can actually show you how to pass a level (at the cost of getting a bronze, NOT gold star). Back to the story (or the little of it that there is, a la most Mario games), Princess Peach has been kidnapped by a GIGANTIC Bowser (surprise!). Naturally, Mario is going to rescue her with the help of star power from master luma (star-like creatures with the capability to transform).

Who is there to help Mario this time? Well, this time Luigi is a playable character later on, as opposed to the original Galaxy which forced you to take the torturous path of collecting all 120 stars before unlocking him. Yoshi is on board as well, your trusty steed who can eat red-hot peppers to move quickly and cross water no less, or become a blimp full of hot air, or glow to reveal hidden paths.

The biggest change for us as a father-daughter team is that Player 2 has more to do now. Player 2 is actually an orange luma who follows Mario around. Now, Player 2 (in addition to freezing enemies and grabbing stars) can actually spin as well to knock enemies to the ground or grab coins from remote places by flying over to them quickly and then bringing them back to Mario. Also, making Player 2 an actual, tangible entity in the game (as opposed to a mysterious P2 star that has no discernible presence) makes it even more fun for my daughter who gets caught up in the action because the game itself is usually too hard for her as Player 1. She will actually say things like, "Daddy, you get the one on the right, I'll get the one on the left." It's extremely hard to pry her away from it when it's time for a story and bed.

Has the gameplay changed much? Well, no, the same mechanics are there. It's interesting that the game starts off as a 2D sidescrolling event that leads into somewhat a 3D perspective until it's a full-blown 3D adventure. It's a subtle, baby-step transition and, as an IGN reviewer put it, it pays off in getting those unfamiliar with the original to get into the action.

Despite having the same mechanics of jumping and spinning, Mario has some new powerups. Cloud Mario can create little tufts of clouds to hop up. Rock Mario has our hero turning into a solidified boulder to roll around (and even "bowl" to hilarious effect). Drill Mario allows our hero to drill through to inaccessible areas. And, of course, there's Yoshi who is able to eat his enemies and use a couple of funny power-ups of his own as previously mentioned. Bee Mario, Fire Mario, Spring Mario, etc., make their return.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is smooth, polished and shows the time-dedicated love and attention that was bestowed upon it during its 3-year absence. It takes the best parts of the original and makes them better while taking away what didn't work the first time. They have wisely included more for player 2 to do while acknowledging that Mario is still, front and center, the star of the show. The music is even more fully orchestrated than before. The attention to detail is phenomenal and showcases Nintendo's desire to never compromise by releasing a product too quickly without undergoing the rigorous quality control that this game clearly had.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a delight for children and even a delight for me as a 37-year old father. This is my "daughter and me" time, when we share a fun family night (Mommy likes to watch ;D), night-after-night and it is my modern-day Monopoly. Cheers to Nintendo for taking a winning formula, keeping it more than alive, and breathing fresh ideas into this franchise.

So what are you waiting for? Purchase the game...this is one of the flagship titles, and deservedly so.
3232 comments| 465 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 28, 2014
While the first Galaxy was a fantastic game, this one builds off of all of the good things that game had going for it and made them great. Playing Galaxy 2 On my Wii U I was shocked at how awsome this game looks graphically. Considering it was developed for the Wii it looks really outstanding.

I often felt a little dizzy playing the first Galaxy game, not sure if I just got used to it or if there is just less use of gravity trickery in this game but I did not feel as dizzy playing this one. Aside from better graphics the biggest difference for me in this game was I felt the level design was much better and creative. I really liked the use of Yoshi in a 3d style Mario game. I feel this is the better game of the two.

To me if you have yet to play the Galaxy series for whatever reasn I would suggest picking them both up, however if money is tight or you just don't have time for both Galaxy 2 is the one to get.
on June 24, 2010
I got SMG2 last week and I'm in World 3 so my comments only apply to what I have seen so far in the game.

Pros:

- The levels are much easier to access. You don't have to walk all around the spaceship to figure out what levels you haven't completed yet. That is a nice improvement.
- If you liked the first game, then you're almost guaranteed to like this one because it is so similar to SMG1.

Cons:

- Music is definitely not as good as the music in SMG1. The music in the first one was so good that I just had to get the songs for it online. (1/12/11 update: you can listen to all the songs for free on Grooveshark)
- Lack of novelty. This can be a good or a bad thing. Some reviews suggest that this game has massive changes/improvements over SMG1. If that's what you're expecting I would say prepare to be disappointed. With the exception of a few relatively minor changes, you're pretty much playing the same game (which is NOT to say that it isn't fun!). SMG1 was SO different from other video games that the novelty of it blew people's mind. The changes in this game when compared to the first one are very minor.
- Although the graphics are good, they are not as impressive as SMG1 if you ask me. The background graphics (of galaxies, etc) blew me away in SMG1 so maybe my expectations were too high this time.

One final comment I would like to make is about the level of difficulty. Yes, some levels are very challenging. But (so far) I disagree with some reviewers that are saying that this game is A LOT harder than SMG1. I think they're about the same. If you can beat SMG1 I don't see why you wouldn't be able to beat this game.
on January 25, 2011
Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the sequel that Super Mario Galaxy deserves. After playing SMG 1 I couldn't imagine the game developers possibly being able to come up with the same amount of creativity that they did in the first one; and not only did they manage, they surpassed it.

In SMG 2 you get to play with Yoshi, which adds a new element to the game. And with Yoshi comes his fruit which has different effects on him when he eats them, the same way mushrooms and flowers have on Mario. There are also a lot more opportunities to play with Luigi in SMG 2, as Luigi has a few skills that even Mario doesn't.

I would go as far as to say I like this one better than the first, simply because of the layout. SMG 1 took place on a space station that could be confusing when trying to locate galaxies (located in rooms). SMG 2 is very basic, being contained on a spaceship shaped like Mario's head which flies to the different galaxies. Therefore, they were able to bring back the map view (think Super Mario 3) which makes it much easier to locate and reach your galaxies, as well as see which ones you've completed.

The only con I can come up with for Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the fact that some of the levels are ridiculously hard (I hate the clones). However, with some practice they are definitely passable.

Save up, get a second job, do whatever you have to do to get this game, because Super Mario Galaxy 2 is out of this world!
VINE VOICEon August 5, 2010
[Note: I just got this game today haven't finished it yet - I have about 25 stars - but since I didn't see any other reviews on Lunch I thought I'd post one asap.]

The designers of Super Mario Galaxy 2 must have voted against Obama in 2008 because it's "more of the same" rather than "change." Nonetheless, for gamers, that's a good thing. While the game seems like it's essentially an expansion pack of the first, what an expansion. The levels are all new and have great settings. You also get to play as Yoshi and Luigi on some levels.

Gameplay
Same, but better game controls. There are some cool new challenges, including a test of how many enemies you can jump on consecutively. There's also the boulder and drill, which are fun to use. Some levels are almost entirely in 2-D, really giving a classic Mario feel to them.

The enemies are a LOT better in this game. Super Mario Galaxy 2 resurrects some Mario franchise favorites, including the Hammer Bros. (!) and Lakitu. The bosses are also a lot better - no more silly moles. They look pretty serious this time around.

Graphics
Of course an improvement from the first game (not that there was much to complain about the first time around). Graphically, the game looks almost like a CG animated movie.

Challenge
The game starts out easy - easier than the first in my opinion - but ramps up the challenge level later on. The first few levels are fairly easy, whereas some of the third or fourth stars in a galaxy are really tough. My sense so far is that it has enough to satisfy everyone.

Music
The music in this game was fully orchestrated, and you can tell the difference. Even the overture, though largely the same as the first game, sounds much more crisp. You can find it online for sale as a CD, or possibly download it as a mp3 files.

Miscellaneous
There are a couple of other things I should note:

This game does not have a central "observatory" as in the first game. Rather, you fly Starship Mario on a map. This saves you a LOT of time, so you don't have to keep searching for the room just to begin a level.

Also, each level has Bowser flags that you can switch to Mario flags, thus marking your continue spots (in the first game, there was no indication of where you would continue if you died).

As in the first game, I was disappointed Super Mario Galaxy 2 did not have any additional rewards for collecting power stars. I've always thought it would be awesome if with every 30 or so power stars you unlocked a new character (imagine getting Link or Samus for unlocking all of the stars!). As it stands, players don't have much incentive to try to get all 120 stars after beating Bowser.

Overall
Overall, if you liked the first game, you'll love the sequel. If you didn't like Super Mario Galaxy, or got too frustrated, don't be surprised if you hate this one! I'm loving it so far. It seems like everything that was wrong or annoying with the first one is now fixed. Enjoy!

Shopping
Word to the wise: if you want to save some money, this game is available for around $35-40 on eBay or Amazon. I got my copy for $32.
on September 6, 2010
This is a great game. I liked the first Super Mario Galaxy. I love Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Since plenty of reviews have preached this game's virtues since it's release, I want to focus on one thing in particular which has been underplayed in my opinion. The two player mode in Galaxy 2 is great, in the right circumstances. For two gamers, I can see how it isn't that much fun. But for a gamer and non-gamer, or gamer and young child, the two player mode is a blast and adds so much to the game. My girlfriend and I play the game together. I bought it as a single player game, planning on playing it alone. I bought New Super Mario Bros Wii around the same time so that we'd have something to play together. We've played some of that, but since she's a casual gamer, she gets frustrated by dying in the game.

We tried the two player mode in Galaxy 2 out of curiosity. During the first level, I didn't really think she'd like it, there didn't seem to be that much to do and it didn't seem to be all that helpful to have a second player. But she did like it so we continued playing and the more we did, the more fun she had with it. And not only that, but having her playing really is helpful. I'm a decent but not great gamer and Galaxy 2 is definitely more difficult than the first Galaxy game. There were levels I definitely would have struggled with had she not been playing. She enjoys helping and doesn't have to worry about getting frustrated by dying.

The second player can do a few things.
1. Pointing at the screen and collecting star bits, in the same manner as player one would. This is helpful because it means I can focus more on the platforming and not as much the collection aspect, which again is helpful on harder levels.
2. Pointing at the screen and pressing A to collect coins, 1 up mushrooms, etc. This can be really useful to collect things in areas that are not easy to get to. Also very useful on stages with coins that require speed collecting, which we find very fun.
3. Pointing at enemies and pressing A to freeze or kill enemies. She can either kill smaller enemies or freeze bigger ones in place, like chain chomps or firebars. Very useful on difficult levels, I'd have trouble avoiding all of the enemies without her help.

Again, the two player mode isn't meant for two gamers but it's a great fit for one gamer and one non/semi-gamer. The game as a whole is a blast and all Wii owners should play it.
on March 2, 2011
I got this for my two girls and didn't realize what kind of game it was. First, I didn't realize it is primarily a one person game and second, I didn't realize it is an adventure game rather than a true Wii motion game. Having said that the kids love it and have spent hours playing with it.

I've watched them play and I can honestly say I don't really see how you can have much success without the second player. While one player does most of the work the other player definitely provides a high level of support. Not only that but they really enjoy playing with each other. They'll spend five hours straight workign together but I don't think either of them would spend more than a couple of hours on their own. It's great to see them enjoying each other so much.

My only complaint is that I'm still biased to games that truly leverage the power of the Wii motion controls and that provide exercise as well as entertainment. More like the Mario Olympics. But in the end to see the two kids playing together for hours and laughing their heads off ... priceless.
on June 12, 2010
I've been playing games since I was five years old with my dad's old Genesis. Recently, I've been playing a LOT of games on my Wii, making sure I finish all of the good titles before I move onto PS3. After 15 hours of time clocked in so far, I can confidently say that SMG2 is not only the best game on Wii (even better than SMG1), but is also, quite simply, one of my favorite games of all time.

Every level shines with ingenious creativity. You'll travel lush rain forests, desert wasteland, icy snow-tops, and a diverse number of levels that either refer to Mario's past or build upon old ideas in remarkable new ways. It's almost as if the team working on this game took SMG1's base engine and concept as its template, but started from scratch on everything else. Control wise, Galaxy was already perfect, but the camera needed fixing. Problem addressed. The new World Map in SMG2 is a welcomed addition, as it is much easier to navigate through levels than the hub in SMG1. Yoshi visits Mario in a number of levels, making great use of his tongue with the IR pointer for a number of incredibly clever challenges. So far, I have 60 stars in my first 15 hours of gameplay, at the end of world 5 out of 6(ish). Even though I am having an easier time through this than SMG1, I would still say that this game is more challenging (I'm just beastlier than before :). For those who are looking for extended play value, SMG2 delivers. If you collect all 120 stars and each galaxy's comet coin, you will receive the ability to collect 120 "green" stars. I can't wait!

This game is, in my opinion, the greatest gaming experience to be had on Wii. Simply put, if you own a Wii, and either A) want the most fulfilling experience on Wii or B) want something to pass the time after wearing out "Wii Sports"--- this game will not disappoint. Buy it. Now.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.