BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 22, 2017
I was looking for a vegetarian cookbook that would explain how to create a vegetarian meal. I especially wanted one that was more than just salad and pasta recipes. I have found that I rarely use some of the famous vegetarian cookbooks that I own (Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone and Yotam Ottalengi's Plenty) because they are just collections of recipes and don't do a great job of explaining how to ensure full nutrition with a vegetarian diet. Heidi Swanson's book filled the gap. This book does a great job of explaining different grains and vegetables and the few recipes I have prepared from it have all been delicious. This book doesn't have a lot of recipes (if you need that, see the books mentioned above), but the ones it does have are winners.
on March 21, 2011
I love Heidi Swanson's approach to healthy vegetarian eating. Her recipes are easy and fun and eating healthily is simple and easy to manage. She is lucky enough to live in San Francisco...where lovely fresh veggies and fruits and grains abound. But the ingredients in her recipes are easy to find. I follow her blog, too. I have loved everything that I have made from her recipes. Her ravioli pasta salad with spinach and pine nuts is amazing. Soba noodles recipes are fabulous, too.

I love having this book in my collection. I just preordered her newest book, too.
on April 29, 2007
I love this cookbook. I'm not a vegetarian, I've wanted to incorporate more whole, organic, and natural foods into my cooking. This book makes it easy. Heidi Swanson understands that in order to entice people to cook with natural ingredients, the recipes have to be delicious (and beautifully photographed, as these are), and they need to fit into busy lives. The collection in Super Natural Cooking does both things. I've already cooked or baked through about half a dozen recipes in the book -- all successfully. And I've tried some new ingredients, including sucanat, quinoa, and amaranth flour. If you're remotely interested in this topic, you should check out the book. These recipes offer a painless way to make your cooking healthier and more delectable.
on May 4, 2011
I bought this book and have made a couple of dishes. They turned out great! Easy instructions with beautiful pictures. She also goes into depth regarding some of the common ingredients that are used in the book. The only complaint I have is that some of the ingredients are pricey or hard to get. So if you don't live near a speciality store (ie. Whole Foods), then you may have to rely on the internet to purchase them. She does give a list of websites where you can purchase the ingredients. Overall this is a good book to start for vegetarians or for people who want to eat healthier.
on May 7, 2007
The book is beautiful! and the recipes are rich in color an nutritional value. I gave it 4 stars in 2007. But now in 2012... I have had this book for 5 years and never done a recipe. I ask myself why. I think the problems are: 1) The organization of the book with a mixture of tips for healthy eating and recipes makes it difficult to navigate, 2) Many recipes have uncommon/difficult to find ingredients and 3) Many recipes are too "natural" to serve at a dinner party ("cooked groats" for example) which is one of the main reasons I cook from a book. If I had to recommend a book, it would be Recipes from the Old Mill: Backing with Whole Grains which is the opposite from this one: it has no pictures, just a few drawings and it is more a backing book, but has pizza and pot pie recipes among other dishes. I have used it countless times with great results.
on September 15, 2015
Still checking it out, but at used book prices, it;s a great deal.
on September 5, 2017
Well written
on January 20, 2014
I bought this as an initial foray into vegetarian cooking. It's a gorgeous book with a lot of information about basic cooking ingredients and their nutritional benefits. I can't say I really needed that background info, but it's nice I suppose. Overall, I like this book and have enjoyed the few recipes I've made so far. If you're like me though, and are just trying to get your feet wet in the vegetarian world, this book may not be the best starting point, as many of the ingredients are somewhat obscure. But it may be a worthwhile purchase for the sweet potato spoonbread alone. That dish will make your eyes roll back in your head.
on July 8, 2014
Heidi Swanson's cooking is right up my alley- I love her cooking and writing style. Straight forward recipes, not a lot of ingredients, a focus on whole and fresh foods, but all the flavor combinations are delicious. I also like that she gives ingredient descriptions and substitution options. I have this and Super Natural Everyday, and both are my go-to cookbooks these days for simple, fresh recipes that knock it out of the park in terms of flavor.
on October 5, 2009
I am a working(full time hairdresser)mom, a hobby enthusiast(pottery), and fresh ingredients self taught cook! I have 2 boys who are 4 and 5 years old and this cook book has great recipes even if you eat meat. Meat doesn't have to be on your dinner table 7 nights a week! I originally got the cookbook for the garbanzo bean burgers which are so easy to make (try adding edamame-frozen if its easier!) when I get home some nights at 9 pm I make these really quick and have a few for lunch the next day! My sons love the biscuits and alot of the other recipes, it has expanded our dinner and I know its healthy for them! I even went on to buy Heidi's (very expensive!!!!) Cook 101. which is awesome! Be smart and let this book be a guide to more creativity while cooking!