Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services victoria victoria victoria  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 177 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 230 reviews
on January 2, 2016
Love the zany winking at the camera humor here. It's full of self referential, parody. It even makes the bold move of mocking a strong portion of the fan base with a certain "hi-technical" lizard. But underneath all that lies a pretty good problem solving Game with slight RPG elements. It borrows a page from the Metroid playbook in that it gives you a toolbox of tools to solve problems in the form of companions named Pixels as well as character specific abilities in the cadre of teammates you assemble. On top of this it contains traditional Mario platformer elements such as stomping on goombas etc... By the way during the very start of the game a dialogue occurs where Mario is asked to save the day, and you can actually respond "nah I don't feel like it" which I found so amusing I continued to select this option even after being re-asked two more times. Well guess what, three being a sort of magic number, the game over screen appears. No big deal right? Wrong, you have to sit through the 8 minute opening sequence again with no option to skip it. Don't be an jerk like me just accept when They ask you to save the day.
on December 5, 2015
If you like RPG games then you might like this one. There is a TON of reading in this game. So much that it is the main reason I'm giving it 3 stars. Unfortunately I couldn't find anyway to skip the strory lines. The reading, combined with this annoying beeping sound when dialog is taking place, makes this Mario not to high on my list. However it is still very well done like all Mario games. The dialog is hilarious at times, but just too much to be more than 3 stars. I never really found myself looking forward to playing it and b/c of the massive amount of reading my 6 year old couldn't get behind it either.
on December 21, 2012
I enjoyed the original Paper Mario and loved Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door so I knew I'd be playing this eventually. I got it knowing that it wasn't strictly an RPG game anymore but more of a platformer-RPG. I wasn't happy with the change but was more than willing to give it a chance. Ultimately, I found a game that was fun but holds itself back through some poor design choices.

Story - Count Bleck has decided that he wants to end all worlds by using the power of the chaos heart. He obtains this by forcing Bowser and Peach to get married. Mario and company get separated and he meets Tippi who teleports him to Flipside where he meets Merlon. Merlon explains that Mario needs to collect the 8 pure hearts to stop Count Bleck. You'll go through 8 different worlds to obtain them. The whole pure hearts story isn't exactly compelling, especially the way in which you obtain some of them. That said, the rest of the story is pretty good. There's plenty of funny dialogue and humorous things happening throughout to keep you entertained.

Gameplay - The game mostly plays like a platformer. You'll run around and hop on enemies heads in real time. You'll find plenty of blocks to hit and get coins and other goodies. The RPG elements of the game are much lighter than the previous games and some seemed tacked on. You can use attack items or healing items at any time and can hold up to 10 of them. There will be plenty of dialogue and plenty of puzzles to solve. You'll get experience for killing any enemies or for picking up some objects. Every so many points you'll level up which gives you all your life back and then you'll get 5 extra hit points 1 level and 1 extra attack power the next. This will rotate throughout the game. You will get 8 Pixls throughout the game which give you certain powers depending on which one you have equipped. One lets you pick up objects and throw them, another lets you put a bomb down to hurt enemies or blow up blocks and another lets you shrink yourself down. There are some side quests and other things to do but for the most part, I didn't bother with them because they were generally fetch quests or time consuming things.

The big thing about the gameplay is the ability for Mario to switch between 2D and 3D at any time. This works out reasonably well and allows for a lot of things that wouldn't normally be possible in a strictly 2D game. Most puzzles are solved in the game by switching back and forth between the two. One minor gripe I have about this is that the view they give you here can make it somewhat tedious to kill enemies. You'll often jump just over an enemy and land right in front/behind them and get hurt by them.

The biggest 2 gripes I have about the ability to flip really drag the game down. First, you have a time limit you can be in 3d. Once it hits 0, Mario takes 1 damage and it fills back up. If you flip back to 2d before the timer runs out it fills back up at an absurdly slow pace. I'm not sure exactly why they did this. It makes searching for things in 3d annoying and time consuming. There are some parts where you'll want to be in 3d for a minute or 2 to collect some coins, hit some blocks or explore the area and you'll find that you're much more willing to just take 1 damage then wait the 20-30 seconds for the timer to fill back up. The second major gripe I have here is that Mario is the only character that you can go into 3d with. If you select any other character while in 3d you'll instantly be flipped back to 2d. You will need to go into 3d constantly throughout the game to solve puzzles, find secrets and transverse areas. So unless you want to constantly change your character by going into the start menu, you'll find that you're pretty much stuck playing as Mario throughout the whole game.

Characters - There are 4 playable characters in the game, each with their own unique powers, Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser. As I just mentioned, you'll find yourself playing as Mario for the majority of the game simply because you can't be bothered with having to change characters every 20 seconds. This makes me surly as someone who would've liked to spend more time playing as Luigi. Merlon and all of the characters in Flip-Side are totally forgettable and uninteresting, though Tippi is alright. The most memorable and interesting characters other than our heroes tend to be Count Bleck's minions.

Controls - I really have no complaints here. The controls are solid. There is nothing here not to like.

Difficulty - This is another area where the game lets me down. This game is incredibly easy. At no point was I in any real danger of dying. Almost every enemy is just a minor object in your path because they're so simple to kill. Bosses are rarely difficult at all, some you'll kill within 20 seconds whereas others just take a little more time to kill because they have invulnerable periods. Your partner Tippi will tell you how to beat every single one of them so there is no guesswork or need to figure out how to beat a boss. Just going through the game and with no backtracking, I had 55 hp at the end of the game. Even the end game boss was a complete cake walk. Was the 2 whole damage Count Bleck was doing to me supposed to scare me? I had 4 or 5 items that gave me 50hp back at any time, none of which I'd bought and I didn't even use any during the final fights. The puzzles in this game are incredibly simple most of the time, though they do get better towards the end and there was one or two that took me a minute or two to figure out.

Length - I ended up somewhere around 19 hours. I'd say expect anywhere from 17 hours - 21 hours. Longer if you're doing the side quests and such. I guess there is some sort of after game stuff you can do but I didn't bother with it.

Thoughts pro - There are some fun and interesting levels. Having to work off my debt in world 2 was a unique experience. There's an item that spawns a bunch of miniature NES versions of Mario or Luigi that surround you and follow you. They'll hop on enemies and hurt them for you or if they walk into an enemy they'll hurt the enemy and die off. Always enjoyed finding those little fellows, especially for the old school jumping sound effect that plays each time they jump.

Thoughts con - There are some absolutely tedious levels in this game. 6-1 immediately springs to mind. In this level you run into one enemy on a stage, talk to him, fight him, then go through a door. Repeat this 23 times. It's the same exact background and everything each time. I just starting skipping the dialogue for each enemy you fight as it just became annoying. It's just a terrible level to play through. World 7 is also slightly annoying as well.

In order to access the next world, you have to go back to Flipside and place a heart into a heart pillar. I understand the reasons for doing this but it occasionally got annoying. The heart pillars are all in the same area generally, you just have to know which route to take and which one you can actually get to. Doing this gets somewhat more tedious once you access the other town known as Flopside, which is mostly a mirror of Flipside.

Not a lot of interesting things to do with your money or for doing sidequests. Some of the pixls are absolutely worthless. You need the cudgel one for one section of the game and then never touch it again and there's one that you use to cross some spikes a whole whopping 2 times.

Final thoughts - I enjoyed the game and found it fun. The dialogue for the most part is entertaining and everything generally works well together. The actual gameplay is mostly satisfying. That said, I also found it annoying and tedious at times. The game is a complete cakewalk to get through which I don't like. I want a challenge, I want to die a couple times along the way and have to get better. I enjoyed the game while I was playing it but I could only take so much at a time. I never had the craving to play it like the other ones and it took some willpower to actually turn it on to play. It's a fine game in spite of itself but I hope this isn't the direction the series keeps going. Overall I'd give it a 7/10.
on January 24, 2017
Really enjoyed playing this game, took a little bit to get used to flipping to 3D, but after that it was a great adventure
on January 31, 2017
Fun game- kids had a great time playing it!
on April 8, 2017
ok
on July 8, 2014
Grandsons love this game.
on February 5, 2017
It's fun until it traps you in a mini game where you have to repteadly jump for hours at a time with good timing to precede. lowest quality Mario game I have actually played ! It's also disappointing that it dropped a lot of the rpg elements from the previous games. If you skipped this one back in the day, YOU DID NOT MISS OUT
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 30, 2011
When I first booted this game up, I was amazed -- the presentation was awesome, the dialogue was funny, and the unique flipping controls were very cool. I made it about halfway through the game, spurred on by the entertaining dialogue that genuinely made me laugh out loud at points. It's clear that the people who translated this game were having fun, and it has a lot of charm in that aspect. But the gameplay can't keep up.

Around halfway through the game is when I tired of it. There was too much backtracking and it became a chore to play. You'll find yourself navigating in 2D for most of the game, which is intended, but the sparsely populated 3D world doesn't offer much of interest when you do switch to it. You have to switch to it mainly to solve really simple puzzles. There's not much thought to it; if you are stuck, just switch to 3D and you'll likely find a solution. The fact that you can only switch to 3D as Mario is a disappointing design choice, because you have to switch so often. Switching involves opening up the start menu and choosing a character, which gets extremely tedious.

Another major issue I have is that a core part of the game, the RPG elements, are extremely poor, because ultimately, they don't matter. The game is easy, and you have very little to no control over your character's development. It's not like the Paper Mario RPGs in which you choose a stat to increase upon leveling. The game itself chooses "power" or "health" for you when you level. For this reason, it feels like the RPG elements are tacked on. Most of the time, you won't even notice when you level up.

Basically, this game is a poor RPG and an average platformer. Would I recommend it? It depends on what you're looking for. At the reduced price of this version, I think it's worth a buy if you like silly, fun stories. Like I said before, it really does have a great, funny translation and good dialogue. If you dislike dialogue and are mainly interested in gameplay, I would look elsewhere.
33 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2013
I am a Mario fanatic. I love nearly all the super Mario bros games on all the different systems. However, this particular game I do not much care for. It's slow, the subtitles seem to me, to be never ending, and to boot it's just kind of boring to play. Obviously there are a lot of other people who feel differently. So don't only take my word.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.