Industrial Deals Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

on March 9, 2018
Just like every other Smash game, I used many hours playing Brawl, and loved it! My friends and I were definitely not competitive when the game first came out, so we played it with an open mind like everyone should. Using explosive items, 4-players all using Ganondorf on Final Destination (sometimes on Delfino Plaza haha), and of course the well-made Sub Space story mode which we've never seen before in a Smash game. The music in the game was catchy and the music during Sub Space was just really good.

The last boss of the Story being Tabuu which would be so difficult to beat on Intense because of his insta-kill move-set. After long hours, my friend and I were able to beat him on Co-op, very fun stuff.
I was truly disappointed when the new Smash release did not contain content of that kind.
Later, I began playing competitively, joining an online clan; and with new discoveries, there's always interesting and fun things to learn and do. It definitely is a slow moving game, with friends however, it is super fun: with or without items. It definitely brought back memories of competitive play with friends back in the day during Melee.
on April 21, 2017
The graphics are great. My grandson loved it. Unfortunately the game stopped after a short time playing and the screen said to eject game and refer to manual. Nothing in manual. Will return for an exchange and try again.
on March 3, 2014
As someone who never really got into fighting games bar Melee (and Mortal Kombat, but this isn't that), Brawl was an anticipated release for me. When it came out, I was a bit torn but in the end I accepted it just fine. After over 5 years and 3 different copies of the game, I can say that it's well worth a purchase. One of my favorite things about this game is its roster, having 37 characters
(counting ZSS and Shiek) yet still managing to have no true clones. No character plays exactly the same, so you have a lot to choose from, assuming you're not a lame piece of garbage and pick Meta Knight, Ice Climbers, or Olimar. Aside from those three, there are no particularly cheap characters and almost everyone is at least usable. Despite the more interesting roster Brawl has, Melee was a much more competitve game, with more high-level techs such as Wavedashing (a small slide that can help you maneuver short distances at mach speed as well as just help with your combos), and L-canceling (a landing cancel that also helps with combos). Also, Brawl has tripping, an infamous system that ruins a lot of combos as well as helping to doom Sonic and Captain Falcon to the low tiers. However, Brawl has a major leg up from Melee in the form of the Wii's s***e programming, allowing some really dumb mods to take place. If you have an SD card reader on hand, you can make Brawl into a mess of your choice, reskinning characters, removing tripping, replacing the Final Destination stage with the hands of a giant Captain Falcon statue, and other various improvements and nonsense. The greatest modding option, however, is hands-down Project M. I won't go too deep into it here, you can just look it up, but to keep it simple I'll just tell you that with the Project M mod, Brawl becomes hands-down the best Smash game there is. It adds all of the crazy techs Melee throws at you, rebalances the characters so no one except Falco is broken, ups the general pace of the game, and even adds 2 Melee-exclusive characters. My rating is towards stock Brawl, but Project M is totally 5-stars. Even without the mod, it's still a damn solid game and worth your time.

For Project M (and yes, it's free): [...]
on April 23, 2017
My kids and I absolutely love this game. I wish it came out on the Wii-U. The Wii-U game "Super Smash Brother Brawl" wasn't nearly as good as this one, mainly because of the multiplayer adventure "campaign".

I have recommended this game to many friends.
on July 27, 2013
I got this for my six-year-old son for Christmas seven months ago. I was more than a little hesitant since it is rated T for Teen, but he had already played the game and really, really (I mean really) wanted it. Well, I have watched him play this game far more than is healthy, and I've been slaughtered by him pretty much every time I've tried to go head-to-head against him, and I'm still not sure why it's rated T. Okay, it does have a lot of violence (duh) but it is all cartoon violence, there is no blood at all. And there is nothing else at all (drugs, alcohol, sex, etc.) that could possibly affect its rating. After seven months this is still by far my son's favorite game! (He's playing it as I type.) And even though I almost always loose, I still get a good kick out of playing it with him every once in a while, and he loves killing me!
VINE VOICEon August 14, 2009
Super Smash Brothers Brawl is what I call the defining game on the Wii. Unlike other games that resort to using motion controls, this game returns to the use of a nonmotion guided control scheme to allow for a wide array of fun. At its core, Brawl is a traditional fighting game with the usual onslaught of combos, playable characters, and modes. However, surrounded by this core is excessively addicting gameplay, collectibles, music, and fan service.

Potentially, this game is a fan service game. It features hundreds of references to many Nintendo properties and even a few third party playable characters. I could sit here and describe every single mode to you but that would take me forever. Brawl packs so much but where the fun mostly lies is in its versus mode. There is an online versus mode but due to constant lag problems it should be avoided. This is the definitive local multiplayer game with up to four player support using any combination of wii remote control, nunchuk, classic controller, and gamecube controller.

The only negative aspect of this game is the annoying single player mode called the subspace emissary. It is all flash and no substance. Basically a player plays this mode to unlock a few collectibles or characters (though characters can be unlocked by fulfilling other feats in the numerous other modes). There is no voice over work performed in the cutscenes in this mode, little background information is given, and it brings back to life an annoying gameplay mechanic from times past, replaying boss fights...

Looking beyond the subspace emissary you shall have a game that is loaded with tons of features and all. It will take more than 100 hours to unlock every collectible (yes because there is a collectible for having 100 hours of playtime), for people who do not have tons of local players to play with there is a decent online mode or one can just constantly play against ridiculously over powered PC controlled opponents.

Ultimately, if you are a Wii owner you need this game!
on November 7, 2012
Brawl has amazing upgraded graphics from Melee along with a new adventure level that actually has a lot more adventure than Melee. There are a lot of the same events, however, you can also play demos of the older original games that these characters come from. There are a lot of beautiful unlockable trophies and all new events that make the game stand out from the last. Brawl has wonderful fixes that got rid most of the previous game's lag time between button to attack. The one downside I find to this game is that Gannon (a playable character) has gotten slower, weaker, and has less range. You do not get to play as Pichu or Mewtwo in this game.

Playable characters are:
Lucas
Ike
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer (The Pokemon Trainer doesn't fight, but three pokemon do for you: Ivysaur, Squirtle, or Charizard)
Ice Climbers
Pikmin & Olimar
on October 8, 2011
My daughter bought this game for my son for his birthday. It was new but did not work with the Wii. The Wii could not read the disc at all. Before giving up and returning the game we called the number for Nintendo in the front of the instruction booklet and found out that this problem is rare but had occurred with other Wii customers. Nintendo paid to have the game system and game returned to them and repaired the Wii (needed a manual update from the factory) and a new game disc that had been tested in the repaired Wii. The whole process was finished in about one week and everything plays great now!! The game is a lot of fun for our 7 year old son and friends. This is just to let others know that if the disc doesn't work, contact the Ninetendo customer service number in the book before assuming the game is defective. It may be that the Wii needs a little repair and the folks at Nintendo were very helpful in this matter.
on February 10, 2018
Love the game. Really nostalgic for me since growing up I had a Nintendo 64. Now my little brother really enjoys it. sometimes the most simple of formulas for a game is all a child needs. He prefers this game over the XBOX and all the games he has on that. It is a great gift idea for someone who has a young child who does not really understand the concept of the biggest and newest game system. Him and I love this game and we are about 15 years apart. It bridges the gap a bit and we both can play this game and have a lot of fun.
on January 6, 2015
I bought this as a gift for my niece and nephews and it's their first experience with the Smash Bros. series. To be honest I actually prefer Brawl over the newer Wii U version regardless of it being in HD. The music is better overall and The Subspace Emissary is a fun adventure mode which is completely missing from the Wii U version.

This is a great game for the Wii and anyone who buys it will enjoy it. It has a lot of replay value and various modes to keep you busy for a long time. The ability to use the Gamecube controller on the Wii is also an added benefit since the controller ports were standard on the earlier Wii models.

It's a fun game whether you play alone or with a group of friends.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.