Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

on February 10, 2018
Love the game. Really nostalgic for me since growing up I had a Nintendo 64. Now my little brother really enjoys it. sometimes the most simple of formulas for a game is all a child needs. He prefers this game over the XBOX and all the games he has on that. It is a great gift idea for someone who has a young child who does not really understand the concept of the biggest and newest game system. Him and I love this game and we are about 15 years apart. It bridges the gap a bit and we both can play this game and have a lot of fun.
on March 3, 2014
As someone who never really got into fighting games bar Melee (and Mortal Kombat, but this isn't that), Brawl was an anticipated release for me. When it came out, I was a bit torn but in the end I accepted it just fine. After over 5 years and 3 different copies of the game, I can say that it's well worth a purchase. One of my favorite things about this game is its roster, having 37 characters
(counting ZSS and Shiek) yet still managing to have no true clones. No character plays exactly the same, so you have a lot to choose from, assuming you're not a lame piece of garbage and pick Meta Knight, Ice Climbers, or Olimar. Aside from those three, there are no particularly cheap characters and almost everyone is at least usable. Despite the more interesting roster Brawl has, Melee was a much more competitve game, with more high-level techs such as Wavedashing (a small slide that can help you maneuver short distances at mach speed as well as just help with your combos), and L-canceling (a landing cancel that also helps with combos). Also, Brawl has tripping, an infamous system that ruins a lot of combos as well as helping to doom Sonic and Captain Falcon to the low tiers. However, Brawl has a major leg up from Melee in the form of the Wii's s***e programming, allowing some really dumb mods to take place. If you have an SD card reader on hand, you can make Brawl into a mess of your choice, reskinning characters, removing tripping, replacing the Final Destination stage with the hands of a giant Captain Falcon statue, and other various improvements and nonsense. The greatest modding option, however, is hands-down Project M. I won't go too deep into it here, you can just look it up, but to keep it simple I'll just tell you that with the Project M mod, Brawl becomes hands-down the best Smash game there is. It adds all of the crazy techs Melee throws at you, rebalances the characters so no one except Falco is broken, ups the general pace of the game, and even adds 2 Melee-exclusive characters. My rating is towards stock Brawl, but Project M is totally 5-stars. Even without the mod, it's still a damn solid game and worth your time.

For Project M (and yes, it's free): [...]
VINE VOICEon August 14, 2009
Super Smash Brothers Brawl is what I call the defining game on the Wii. Unlike other games that resort to using motion controls, this game returns to the use of a nonmotion guided control scheme to allow for a wide array of fun. At its core, Brawl is a traditional fighting game with the usual onslaught of combos, playable characters, and modes. However, surrounded by this core is excessively addicting gameplay, collectibles, music, and fan service.

Potentially, this game is a fan service game. It features hundreds of references to many Nintendo properties and even a few third party playable characters. I could sit here and describe every single mode to you but that would take me forever. Brawl packs so much but where the fun mostly lies is in its versus mode. There is an online versus mode but due to constant lag problems it should be avoided. This is the definitive local multiplayer game with up to four player support using any combination of wii remote control, nunchuk, classic controller, and gamecube controller.

The only negative aspect of this game is the annoying single player mode called the subspace emissary. It is all flash and no substance. Basically a player plays this mode to unlock a few collectibles or characters (though characters can be unlocked by fulfilling other feats in the numerous other modes). There is no voice over work performed in the cutscenes in this mode, little background information is given, and it brings back to life an annoying gameplay mechanic from times past, replaying boss fights...

Looking beyond the subspace emissary you shall have a game that is loaded with tons of features and all. It will take more than 100 hours to unlock every collectible (yes because there is a collectible for having 100 hours of playtime), for people who do not have tons of local players to play with there is a decent online mode or one can just constantly play against ridiculously over powered PC controlled opponents.

Ultimately, if you are a Wii owner you need this game!
on July 27, 2013
I got this for my six-year-old son for Christmas seven months ago. I was more than a little hesitant since it is rated T for Teen, but he had already played the game and really, really (I mean really) wanted it. Well, I have watched him play this game far more than is healthy, and I've been slaughtered by him pretty much every time I've tried to go head-to-head against him, and I'm still not sure why it's rated T. Okay, it does have a lot of violence (duh) but it is all cartoon violence, there is no blood at all. And there is nothing else at all (drugs, alcohol, sex, etc.) that could possibly affect its rating. After seven months this is still by far my son's favorite game! (He's playing it as I type.) And even though I almost always loose, I still get a good kick out of playing it with him every once in a while, and he loves killing me!
on April 21, 2017
The graphics are great. My grandson loved it. Unfortunately the game stopped after a short time playing and the screen said to eject game and refer to manual. Nothing in manual. Will return for an exchange and try again.
on July 24, 2013
This review comes a little late, as the product has been out for a few years now, and the Nintendo Wii U has replaced the Nintendo Wii, but I wanted to write a review anyway, to make it clear that this is one of the greatest games available for the Wii. The only caveat to this, is that it's strengths depend on playing entirely multi-player with people in the same room. It is a very clever game that introduces enough weapons and different attacks to keep the game interesting, enough characters and platforms to add nostalgia to the gaming experience, and enough randomness to keep the game interesting, and keep too strong a player from dominating everyone, without causing that player to feel that the game is treating them unfairly.

My only complaint of the game would be the multi-player online is way too slow, and uninteresting (only a few platforms to choose from, and not as much customization is allowed). But then, like I said, the greatness of this game lies in the multi-player on the same system.
on December 4, 2017
Christmas present for my daughter she's going to freak she wanted this game for a while now
on October 8, 2011
My daughter bought this game for my son for his birthday. It was new but did not work with the Wii. The Wii could not read the disc at all. Before giving up and returning the game we called the number for Nintendo in the front of the instruction booklet and found out that this problem is rare but had occurred with other Wii customers. Nintendo paid to have the game system and game returned to them and repaired the Wii (needed a manual update from the factory) and a new game disc that had been tested in the repaired Wii. The whole process was finished in about one week and everything plays great now!! The game is a lot of fun for our 7 year old son and friends. This is just to let others know that if the disc doesn't work, contact the Ninetendo customer service number in the book before assuming the game is defective. It may be that the Wii needs a little repair and the folks at Nintendo were very helpful in this matter.
on April 28, 2008
I was expecting a lot from this game, especially after playing Mario Galaxy and the way they use the new controller there. Sure the graphics are great, the levels are cool and I don't regret buying it, I just wish they did something a little different with the controls. There's nothing this version than there was in the old GC version. In fact, you can pretty much use the old GC controller which is cool if you have a bunch laying around and not too many of the new controllers. I like that feature but I wish they got more creative with the controls if you were using the new controllers.

That said, everything else about this game is great. If you are looking for a better looking, more challenging version from the GC version, you will not be disappointed. Reworked controls would have gotten it a 5/5.
on May 1, 2011
This was one of the reasons why I finally caved in and purchased a Wii. The Super Smash Bros. games won me over from that first day, when, visiting my grandparents in Texas many many years ago, I rented a copy of the original N64 Smash from Blockbuster and spent a whole weekend with that beautiful grey cartridge. It was, quite simply, a smashing good time.

Then there was Melee, and now Brawl. Brawl is hard for me to rank against the others. Of course it is the best looking graphically...or is it? Melee's graphics still hold up today, they are crystal clear. Brawl really isn't a giant leap from Melee's graphics. But graphics don't matter in the end right? It's all about gameplay.

Brawl is a lot of fun, as should be expected from a Smash Bros. game. There are a ton of characters to unlock, and a lot of awesome debuts onto the Smash scene, such as Solid Snake, Diddy Kong, Pokemon Trainer, and Meta Knight, to name a few. It always fun to learn to master a new character on Super Smash Bros., learning the right strategies, strengths, and weaknesses. Brawl provides a lot of opportunity to get to learn a lot of different characters.

There is also a ton of new items, and the Final Smash mechanic. These are all neat additions, but they can wear out the welcome, and stray from the simplicity that made the first Smash Bros. so great. The Final Smash mechanic in particular can be a bit unbalanced, with some characters' Final Smashes being absolutely devastating, while others' are next to useless. The new items can also tend to inundate the battlefield unless you tweak the options, turning a test of skill into a race for items (which is cool if that's what you want, otherwise you may want to reduce the amount of items available in the menu options).

Brawl also features a single-player story-ish mode, the Subspace Emissary. It's really a sort of quasi-platforming game with the Super Smash Bros. mechanics that doesn't really work...but it provides some sort of entertainment if you don't have any friends around and are tired of brawling with CPUs. It is also one of the methods used to unlock characters.

There is online play, but it can be problematic at times. I have been in many matches that get plagued with terrible lag that ruins the experience. Perhaps just as often, however, it works fine, and it's a blast brawling with friends online.

Brawl is another fun entry in the Super Smash Bros. series, and worthy of the name. Aside from a few minor flaws, it is a great return to taking our favorite Nintendo characters and having them beat the snot out of each other.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.