Customer Reviews: Super-wool Hiker GX Merino Wool Hiking Socks (3 Pairs)
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits STEM Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Leonard Cohen Shop Cycling on Amazon STEM

on April 27, 2011
These socks have a nice feel to the material and appear well made. I've worn them a few times now but not for any long hikes yet. I wear them with hiking boots for field work here in Hawaii. Sometimes we are hiking lava flows, sometimes pasture grasses with rocks and holes, and sometimes rainforest.

I've given them 3 stars because they are really a light-weight hiking sock, as compared to my medium-weight REI brand Merino socks and heavy weight socks from the Smartwool people that the manufacturer's description compares them to. So at $10 a pair, they are not a special value.
on August 30, 2012
As an old infantryman and current wilderness hiker, my feet are very important. These socks may be good for warm weather or wearing around the house, but they are too thin for places like the Pacific NW. You can feel a breeze through them. They are well made, but the sizes run small. I wear 11 1/2 and ordered size 12 and they are tight, the heel seam doesn't even come to my heel. I will wear them shopping or around the house, but they will definitely stay home when I go to the woods.
on August 31, 2011
I bought a dozen pair based on a review saying they were large... most sox feel too tight for me (size 8 shoe; bought 8-12 socks). They are great: no peeling skin on the bottom of my feet from sweating; no itching ankles from 'too tight' fit irritating dry skin in the winter. Can't say if they offer 'extra support' with the band around the instep, but walking around in stocking feet the reinforced toe and heel are holding up well. I also based my order on the review saying they were 'too thin' for hiking (didn't want to buy all new shoes); they're great for standing all day on concrete at scout camp. This is the first year my feet were as healthy after camp as they were before. I'll comment on the anti-microbial feature after they have been worn and washed several times.

Update: Ran out of these socks when I was too busy to wash them. (I wash them separately on cold and hang them out to dry.) Wore a pair of thick cotton yesterday (yuck)... then today a wool and polyester. When I took my shoes off at the end of the day my feet smelled; the first time since I bought these socks. That could be just because of the great construction and Merino wool... or it could be the anti-microbial feature. Either way they are terrific socks.

There is very little difference between blue and black; they are pretty much grey. The black socks have HIKER GX written across the toes in red, which is cool if you one of the many individuals who doesn't like clammy sandal soles and is wearing socks with your Birkenstocks.

The wool content of these socks is 100% Merino wool. The socks also contain 25% polyester and elastic. I ordered a half dozen more pair. One pair seems to have shrunk; I sent them to The Great Canadian Sock Co. Inc. for a free replacement.
on June 11, 2011
They are okay for the price I paid. Beat any cotton sock. Wicks away perspiration. Nice elasticity, soft. smooth interior. I would have wanted more cushioning but this is the case of you get what you pay for. More wool, more cost. You have too look at the percentage of wool. I have seen 65% up to over 80% merino wool. I have come to believe that paying more for good socks is worth it. Does the job, will not clump up, keeps you warm and dry and prevents blisters. I expect these to last much much longer than any cotton sock I use to buy which would always fall apart. So I pay more, but they last longer,I buy fewer and the result they actually pay for themselves.
on August 27, 2012
I've bought several brands of mostly made of wool socks over the last year. Cabelas, Smartwool, Wigwam and a few others. These fit, feel, breath and are wearing the best. I don't do reviews unless I feel pretty stongly about the product. If I could give them 6 stars I would. Excellent socks.
on January 6, 2016
3 Pair Super-wool Hiker GX Merino Wool Hiking Socks (Medium (5-9 Shoe), Olive)

The socks look and feel very well-made. It's very soft, not too thick and not too thin either. And I like the color, it's dark olive.

But the sizes listed here are a little misleading. I found these socks by narrowing down my search results to men's socks, so I assumed the sizes listed are for men. They are however women's sizes. The actual sizes are in the first photo I uploaded here.

I'm a man and wear shoes size 8.5-9, so I bought these socks at size M. Look at the second photo to see how small it is for my feet. I should've bought size L, so now I'll be returning these.

If they fixed the listing, it would've easily been 5 stars from me.
review image review image
on August 19, 2016
I just received my new socks today and have to give them a try so I put them on word into the gym in my running shoes.
All I can say is wow!
these socks really feel great. they feel stable, cool, and they do not move from where you put them.
I will wear them on a hike tomorrow and add another review.

8/20 Update:
I took the socks out for a true test today and all I can say is WOW!
What an amazing feeling. I wanted to do a just comparison, so I wore the same show as I did last week but with a different pair of socks.
With the other pair of socks I felt pressure along the outer part of my ankle for the entire 8 miles of walking,
With these JB's I felt NO pressure. It felt so comfortable I am having 2nd thoughts about using a true hiking shoes. I wore my old Asics Nimbus 12 running shoe and these socks have given them a whole new place on my shoe rack. I am new to trail walking, and hiking, so I might be off base here, but these JB's have proven you don't have to break the bank for a good pair of outdoor/trail running/hiking socks.
I hope JB Fields will stand behind the product as they stated in the warranty. As a backup I bought a pair of Darn Tough, so I will be very curious to see how they compare to the JB's. I will get a chance to put them to the test again when I get to the Grand Canyon.
I would strongly recommend these socks based on my experience wearing them.
on July 10, 2014
These socks make my feet sweaty and COLD. I think the percentage of wool in the fabric is misrepresented. It just feels like nylon. My feet start sweating after wearing these for 5 minutes. I have Merino wool socks from other makers and they are nice and warm and wick moisture away for real, which is not the case with these. I guess it's my fault for buying cheap.
on September 15, 2014
These were marketed as hiking socks. These are much too heavy for what I consider hiking socks. They are very comfortable and I will wear them often in the winter, but THAT is what they are....Winter outdoor socks. Sure....people do hike in the winter....but when I go to the store and ask if they have any wool hiking socks, they know what I mean....and this isn't it. It's still a great price.. you get 3 pair's, and they are well made...just don't expect socks you'd be comfy wearing while rock climbing in a temperate zone. You'd be changing your liner socks every couple hours at least!!

A service notation: I ordered a 3 pair package that was supposed to contain 3 different colors (these 'tan" ones, a bluish color and I think the other was charcoal) ...I ended up with 3 pair's of these tan ones, but I just kept them instead of sending them back. I bought them for a summer long trip to Alaska, and just didn't have the time to wait for the turn around time of shipping them back and awaiting the new ones.
on December 8, 2014
One of those mid-life resolutions. . . I refuse to ever suffer cold or wet feet again. So I live in Merino wool socks and have purchased a few different brands from Amazon. I was surprised to find that the Hiker GX socks seemed to outlast the other brands. Not a scientific study, for sure, but after a few months of use and many washings, the others start fraying and stretching and these are still in good shape. They do seem to suffer a little more shrinkage that other brands so if you have big hooves buy big or try another brand.