Oil month Automotive HPC World Book Day Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on February 13, 2014
An ex-football player past his prime (6'3", 360 lbs, size 13D, medium arch), I was recently diagnosed with plantar fasciitis. My orthopedist recommended daily stretching exercises and Orthoheel slippers to wear indoors (no more walking around in socks). What a difference! The slippers and exercises lessened my symptoms from the start and, over time, eliminated most of my discomfort, so I decided to find some orthotic inserts to improve my street shoes.

So far, I've tested:
1. Dr. Scholl's Massaging Gel Extra Support
2. Aetrex Copper Medium Arch
3. Spenco Polysorb Total Support
4. Superfeet Orange, Copper, Black
5. Powerstep Pinnacle
6. Powerstep Pinnacle Pro

each for two hours' total walking time over a few days in two pairs of my favorite shoes: New Balance 606 hikers and Cole Haan loafers with Nike Air.

Dr. Scholl's Massaging Gel Extra Support: Advertised for big & tall men, they didn't do much for me. While the extra cushioning helped at first, it helped less and less the longer I walked on them. I mentioned this to my orthopod and he told me the key to managing PF is not cushioning, it's support. Grade: D

Spenco Polysorb Total Support: Remembering my doc's advice, I chose these for the rigid heel cup and arch support. Though quite comfortable overall, the arch support was a bit too low for my medium-high arches and the heel cup was insufficient support for weight. While they worked reasonably well for me, I believe they would a be better choice for lighter individuals with lower arches. Grade: B

Aetrex Copper Medium Arch: Promising better arch support, these felt very similar to the Spenco insoles even after walking around the block. I then swapped one of the Aetrex insoles for one of the Spenco insoles and walked around again. Only then could I tell them apart. The Spenco offered a little better support for the mid- and fore-parts of my foot, the Aetrex offered a little better support for my arch. Grade: B

Superfeet: I was in an Allen Edmonds store and noticed the Superfeet insoles. The clerk said many men my size have good success with them. I tried the Orange and the Copper DMP versions in the store. Finding the Orange too high for my arches, I got a pair of the Copper DMP. These are easily the most rigid of the insoles I've tried...and easily the best. Superfeet arch support sits farther back on the insole than other brands. This made a real difference in the support and comfort I felt walking long distances. I also found the medial post support in the heel did a better job than other insoles in combatting over-pronation. Neither the Orange nor the Copper are thin enough to work inside my Allen Edmonds dress shoes, so I tried a pair of the Black. They work very well though obviously cannot provide the same level of support I get from the Orange. Grade: A

Powerstep Pinnacle: While it seems well-made and offered good support, it simply did not work for me. The gel-based arch support sits too far forward and in the middle of the insole. The insoles felt like I had lumps of clay underfoot. After a few blocks of brisk walking, my feet began to fatigue as if I were walking barefoot in sand. Again, these may work for some people but they didn't for me. Grade: C

Powerstep Pinnacle Pro: Other wearers commented that the Pinnacle Pro differs markedly from the Pinnacle, so I tried a pair. I barely made it a block before heading back home. Though more rigid than the Pinnacle and with a better heel cup, the Pinnacle Pro was too inflexible through the arch and ball of my foot. These were the only insoles I tried that truly caused me pain. Of course, it could just be the contours of my feet, and for others the Pinnacle Pro might be great. Grade: F
33 comments| 276 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 12, 2016
I used to be a SuperFeet devotee, but I've since found greener pastures. SuperFeet do certainly offer benefits; they are very firm, can last about a year of daily use while still providing integral arch support, and can be cut to fit the precise shape of your shoe. However, I simply cannot validate the cost anymore. I currently use PowerStep insoles as a replacement and find them just as impressive in terms of arch support, but they are nearly half the cost of SuperFeet. They also offer a firm base of support for your arch, come in a variety of arch heights, and last for about a year of daily use. Even better, in my opinion, is the fact that they have a thin layer of cushioning that SuperFeet does not, making them just that much more comfortable.

Perhaps SuperFeet have their own time and place and work better under certain conditions, but for daily use of walking and running, I would choose PowerStep any day.
0Comment| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Superfeet are constructed of a hard plastic shell in their back portion that is covered on top by a cloth-covered foam pad of varying degrees of thickness. I have tried three (Black, Blue and Green) so far and found all three wound up being perfect in a different kind of shoe. Since they are rather pricey I thought I'd detail my experience and with any luck it'll help you decide which version you should start with.

I have been buying gel insoles for years and have always been a big fan of that luxurious cushion. However I am spending more and more of my time in outdoor activities and, having high arches, I know whats in store for me if I don't address arch support. Gel insoles do not do this well. Superfeet are NOT cushy thick gel insoles. You won't get that kind of short term comfort but you will get the long term benefits of arch support. If transitioning from gel insoles... don't freak out and give these a chance before you run in the other direction. They're comfortable, but in a different way.

My experience has been that the effectiveness of a pair of Superfeet varies depending on the shoe you are working with. I wear 10.5 D shoes and weigh 245 lbs. The E size works without any trimming in all of my shoes. I just slip them in.

I originally added a pair of green Superfeet (high arch, thick-for-Superfeet cushion) to my Lowa Zephyr 8" boots to replace the thin-but-reasonably effective insole that came with that boot. After two full days I decided Green was too much arch for me, and the cushioning, while nice, was just a hair too much for my feet to have a roomy fit in the toe box. I moved the Green soles to a pair of Bass casual lace-up shoes that my feet sit pretty deep into. The Green soles were perfect there. They have stayed in those shoes, which I often wear all day. The arch support has broken in a little, being a bit over the top for the first day but not noticeable after Day 2. After this break-in I tried moving them back to the Lowas and no dice. Still not right for them.

The Lowas had some arch support built into their structure already so the Green added too much. To try again I went in the other direction and purchased a set of Black Superfeet in E (low arch, almost no cushion) and plugged them in. This time, they fit perfectly in the boot and provided a very modest amount of arch support. In fact, in those boots I was basically doing only a little better than the factory insoles. The point of the exercise was to improve support, so I tried the Blacks in a few other shoes and they were the perfect addition to my more or less flatfooted leather dress loafers.

My third and last pair (so far) was a set of Blue Superfeet (medium arch, medium cushion), again in E. I plugged these first into some tennis shoes and - very comfortable. The arch this time nicely hugged my feet and gave good support. Put them into the boots and that finally squared them away. Nice and snug against my arch without feeling like I have a baseball stuffed in my shoe.
on February 6, 2018
I had plantar fasciitis. My feet were killing me. I decided to give Superfeet a try. To my delight, I was completely pain free after about two weeks of wearing Superfeet in my shoes daily. I started with the Superfeet Blue, but they made my dress shoes too tight. Then I switched to these low profile Superfeet Black and they were PERFECT for my dress shoes. Now I have about 5 pairs of the Superfeet Black and I keep them in all my shoes. I've had them for about two years and they don't look like they need replacing anytime soon.

I was not accustomed to having proper arch support in my shoes. It was an unusual sensation at first -- I felt like I was walking around with lumps of clay under my arches -- but, my feet will quickly adjusted and after a few days I did not even notice them.
on June 15, 2016
I love these insoles. I was turned on to these after I was experiencing some planter fasciitis problems. I just finished the book Born to Run and started to think about my feet. On theory in the book is that contemporary shoes have to much cushion and our feet have lost the appropriate muscles to support our bodies. Superfeet attempts to correct this problem with their insoles. The first time I tried these out, I almost gave up on them. My feet hurt so much, I could barely walk. I decided to give them another day. The next night I Saturday down and started to rub my feet (mainly my arches) and I noticed that my feet had some small muscles that weren't there (or at least I didn't notice them) before. I thought this was a little strange but remembered Born to Run. I thought (and still do) that there might be something to this book. I started to examine this insoles and realized that these are only offering enough support in the heel cup to properly align my foot, while forcing my feet to create new muscles to better support my body. I have a pair of these in every pair of foot wear I own. That includes running shoes, hiking shoes, soccer cleats, snow boots, dress shoes and loafers. Every new pair of shoes I purchase, I also purchase a new pair of these insoles. These black insoles work great for low arches.
on February 15, 2015
The original factory insoles in my work boots (Red Wing) were getting worn out and this was starting to make my feet hurt after walking around on concrete all day long in our shop so I bought these as replacements because my boots are otherwise good. They arrived in a few days and at first I didn't know what to think when I took them out of their box. They are much thinner and much harder to the touch than I had anticipated and when compared to the old ones. But once I installed them and gave them a try I think they are awesome and VERY comfortable. They are made/intended to be trimmed to fit but no trimming was needed in my application. I think they feel better under my feet than the original insoles did when they were new and they were very good.
on November 14, 2017
After trying out yellow superfeet, dr scholls, shock doctor and gel inserts, I can finally say I have found a winner. I used this 3 times already for both ice and roller hockey. Perfect fit in my skate. 6.5 alkali and 6.5 graf. And perfect fit in ccm jetspeed. No foot pain after playing anymore.

I did the dr schools foot analyzer and saw I have flat feet. (320 or 420 for insole). The hockey shop only had yellow superfeet. And that was terrible for me. Shock doctor left me with pain after playing, gel inserts were just too heavy. Definitely buying these from now on for hockey.
on November 22, 2017
I got these to put inside my Belleville 102 tactical minimalist boots, the boots are naturally wide, but since they seem to only have men's size they were extra wide for me, cuz I'm a girl. The insoles are so hard to the touch I didn't think I spent my money wisely, but I did! Just enough extra stuff to make the boot fit better, without changing the fit and purpose of the boot. Very happy with these.
on October 14, 2016
I have flat feet, so I've been trying to take it upon myself to follow my doctor's advice and walk with insoles. These do work -- the arches are strong, and you can feel them on your feet. It can get a bit painful though, when you first try it, so you do need to ease yourself into them (although this seems to be a normal part of the process, and not a problem with the product itself.) Your feet are getting used to relying on parts of the foot that it doesn't normally use so much, and by lifting up your arch, it's giving it a work out.

If I were to buy again, I would buy the green superfeet instead. I think these are good if you have only mildly flat feet. I actually ordered these because I tend to wear low flat shoes (like Vans and Keds) and was concerned that a green superfeet would not fit, because it is a medium sized heel. Actually, you can take out the gum insole that the shoe comes with -- that's right, rip it out-- and the shoe should happily fit either a black insole or green one.

Looks great inside the shoe -- can't even tell it's an insole. The material feels sturdy too (much sturdier than a gel insole), and have no complaints!
on March 15, 2012
I'm a machinist and about 335 in weight. No lower back pain after nearly 6 weeks
of wearing them in my steel toed shoes for up to 8 hours a day. Wish I found them 20
years ago!
0Comment| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.