Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Book House Cleaning henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 911 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 985 reviews
on May 7, 2013
I'm a big fan of Julie Morris, I am so in love with her first book, "Superfood Kitchen", I cook from it almost every day and consider it the most valuable cookbook I own, so of course I was very excited to get my copy of "Superfood Smoothies"! I am truly amazed but not surprised that she turned out yet another masterfully written and beautifully composed book of awesome recipes. Not only are the smoothie recipes REALLY TASTY, but they are so creative and very thoughtfully concocted to maximize health, flavor, and texture. My favorites that I've tried so far are: cranberry orange (using frozen whole cranberries and OJ), acai pumpkin (yum! creative use for canned pumpkin puree), and cacao cream. There are so many more I can't wait to try!

I first started trying to turn around my health about a year ago by making green smoothies in my $30 blender, mixing frozen blueberries, banana, chia seeds, kale and almond milk every morning for breakfast. I have since upgraded to a vitamix, which makes it easier and more enjoyable to blend my daily smoothie! This book is helping me expand my smoothie repetoire so I can never, ever be bored with my smoothie!

I have also slowly expanded my superfood pantry over the last year, and wanted to pass on some tips for locating ingredients and finding good deals. Many of the negative reviews for this book seemed like the reason was because they couldn't find the ingredients or they were too expensive, which are completely bogus reasons for poorly reviewing this incredible book!! They are easy to find AND affordable if you have access to the internet!!! I live in an extremely rural isolated area, 1.5 hours drive to the nearest sizeable town with health food stores, but I buy most of the superfood ingredients online and I get much better deals than I would in stores. Also keep in mind that Navitas Naturals ins't the only brand that sells superfoods, Julie may promote them because she is their spokesperson, and they ARE a fantastic company, but I find that they have the MOST EXPENSIVE products on the market, and you don't get very much for the price. Another good brand that is more affordable is Sunfood Superfoods.

These are the online sources I use:

Nuts.com- Not only do they have awesome organic raw nuts and seeds of many varieties that I buy to make raw nut milks, they also sell many superfoods like spirulina, dried mulberries, yacon, cacao powder, acai powder, chia seeds, mesquite powder, wheatgrass powder, hemp protein powder, ect.

Amazon.com- I can find Sunfood Superfood brand products here, and have also found good deals from random other brands for everything from cacao powder, barley grass powder (starwest brand, similar to wheatgrass but often cheaper), acai powder, ect.

Vitacost.com - BEST DEAL ON HEMP SEEDS! 3 lb bag of Nutiva shelled hemp seeds for $34 - I keep a small jar on the counter to sprinkle on salads and use in recipes and store the rest in the freezer, the bag lasts me a long time! You can also find good deals on chia seeds and lots of other things

Swansonvitamins.com- They also have the same deal on the 3lb bag of Nutiva hemp seeds! Just ordered hemp seeds, chia seeds, cacao nibs, and camu powder from them.

Bottom line, if you buy this book (AND "Superfood Kitchen" while you're at it!), you are well on your way to make super nutritious MAGIC happen in your kitchen!!
1818 comments| 643 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2013
If you're a novice smoothie maker, you will really appreciate how Julie took the time to go through the steps of smoothie making in great detail and will be introduced to amazing smart combinations.
If you, like me, have been making smoothies pretty much everyday for the last 10 years, have exhausted your creativity to combine ingredients and could use some really unique, tasty and nutritious recipes, you will absolutely love this book.
Superfoods may sound foreign if you haven't used them before and you don't necessarily need to buy every single superfood out there, you can certainly leave out the superfood suggestions for many of the recipes and still end up with a vibrant and nutritious drink. Some of the superfoods can be expensive but a bit goes a long way. Julie provides excellent information on each superfood, how, where and what form to buy, benefits, serving size and substitutions.
I got this book on a Saturday and on the next day I basically ended up doing a smoothie day, each recipe I tried was so delicious, so full of flavor and was packed with so many nutrients that I kept wanting to try more recipes :-) Everything I've tried so far was absolutely amazing, really love this book, there are combinations of ingredients that I would have never though of after so many years making smoothies.
** Update: Yesterday I started to explore one of the chapters called superfood shots,they are small, highly condensed smoothies, what a fantastic idea! Yesterday I had one called 'Stress recovery', there is one for energy boost, one for fighting cold... Really interesting ideas!
77 comments| 273 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon January 19, 2016
I've had this book for over a year now, and I absolutely love it. It has inspired our whole family to eat healthier.

The nutritional information alone makes this worth the price. I learned from this book about all kinds of healthy smoothie additions like gogi berries, chia seeds, coconut, maca powder, and camu root (all easy to find on Amazon or in a health food store). And she gives you the nutritional info about each one (suggested amounts, fat, calories, vitamins, and benefits).

There is also a section organized by symptom (weight loss, energy, digestion, etc) and specific suggestions of smoothies to target each need.

Most of the recipes that I've tried from this book have been great, although I tend to improvise and modify them.

I have a friend who just started a soft foods diet, and I'm ordering a copy for her today.
review image
on December 18, 2015
I have been wanting to learn how to make more healthy smoothies for quite awhile but didn't know where to get started. The ones at Jamba Juice are way too sweet for me, they always give me a sugar headache and I hate it that they don't make their drinks with organic milk and load them up with frozen yogurt. I always order mine with half the yogurt, twice the fruit. I've been making my own peanut butter and banana smoothie at home which I love but am now lactose intolerant so I thought I had to give up smoothies, but all of the recipes in this book are made with non-dairy "milk" which includes things like "Almond milk" (which I had previously thought was almond flavored milk but now know has no milk/dairy in it at all!). Many of the recipes are fruit based, with some greens (loved the strawberry/basil idea), and most of the recipes call for some "super" berries that are expensive, hard to find fresh, and not easy to find in a local market, so there is an up front investment if you want to add those ingredients to your smoothies, but the author provides a good comparison of total cost per drink and it is reasonable. She also provides a good amount of information on how nutrient dense these drinks are. All the recipes avoid dairy products because they produce acid in the body which was completely counter-intuitive to me. A lot of the fruits including most of the berries in her recipes generate acid as well....and dairy is an awesome source of protein as long as you buy organic, but as I said, I'm lactose intolerant so these non-dairy smoothies were great options for me. She does address protein by adding nuts and seeds to her recipes, however, you need a really powerful blender to pulverize most of them, so keep in mind, that could be another investment if you want to try these recipes. Of course, you don't have to follow the recipes provided, you can eliminate some ingredients, experiment with what combinations of fruits, vegetables, thickeners/bases, and sweeteners that you like most. There is a page in the book on how to "build" a smooothie, what ingredients to put in first, next, etc. and a good explanation of super foods, plus a list of fruits and vegetables that are nutrient rich so you can build your own without following her recipes. I found about 5 smoothie recipes that I thought I would like to give a try, that I could make with my inexpensive blender without having to buy any expensive, hard to find ingredients and see how far that takes me before I decide if/when to invest in building a "pantry of super foods" listed in the book.
on March 11, 2017
Every recipe in this book IS delicious. If you are looking for a guide to get you started on your smoothie journey, this is an excellent resource. I have made 16 different recipes in the past two weeks after stocking my "superfood pantry." After the first couple days however, I noticed something: these are not filling!

In the intro chapter, Julie mentions that most of these recipes can be used as meal replacements. I have to categorically disagree with this statement. While most are very nutritiously dense, they are calorically light and essentially devoid of protein or fat (unless avocado or nuts are in the recipe). This is not a balanced nor healthy meal, but rather I consider each base recipe more like a supplement/multi-vitamin if made as is.

To bump up the balance and caloric content I add a scoop of protein powder (take your pick, I like Bone Broth Protein or Collagen Peptides - and there's some great vegan protein powders available these days), coconut oil or avocado, and when a recipe calls for additions of water AND regular ice made from water (yup - that makes the smoothie mostly water, along with a lot of fructose generally and probably under 300 calories on average if we're counting) I opt for coconut or almond milk instead (along with the ice). The average woman over 18 requires 1300-1500 calories a day just for maintenance. So if you're exercising a lot, these just won't get you all the way to where you need to be. I also throw some spinach into almost every recipe for extra greens!

Like I said - all the combos are delicious and I appreciate the effort and research that went into producing so many awesome recipes. I love this book, I keep it on my counter and it's my go to. But if you're looking for a full, balanced breakfast smoothies that help you feel full and satiated until lunch time, you're going to need to get a little more creative!

Also, sidenote, one superfood listed, the Camu Camu powder gave me GI upset the 3 separate times I added it as called for in a recipe. It has over 1000% of your RDA for Vitamin C, which in those amounts can cause GI upset in people who are sensitive. Go slow when adding the superfood ingredients and find your "sweet" spot.
on June 17, 2013
I just can not say enough great things about this book! I bought this because it serves a lot of my dietary goals--raw, vegan, healthy. I want to get more fruits, veggies, nuts, and seeds into my 9 year old daughter. We also have a 91 year old to take care of that has problems eating (difficulty swallowing & digesting, low appetite, sensitive to strong flavors, etc etc.) So making the healthiest smoothies possible is a perfect solution for all this. You are feeding your family top nutrition foods, it's quick and easy to prepare, they go down easy, and you can sneak in all kinds of things that you might otherwise be clueless about how to serve. We also live in hot AZ and a cool smoothie is always nice.

So far we have tried the Creamy Orange, Mint Chip, and Cookie Dough smoothies. I can not believe how Delicious (yes with a capital D!) the Mint Chip smoothie was!! I never thought of spinach beyond a salad/soup/sandwich ingredient. We had the Mint Chip smoothie for breakfast this morning. It was so refreshing and satisfying, and I was quite proud of myself that I served my kid spinach and banana, cashews and super-healthy cacao for breakfast! Wow wow wow. We also (we being me, the kid, the husband) liked the Cookie Dough smoothie too. It is so sweet and yummy, dessert-like, but guess what's in it! Pecans, dates, cacao, a pear, coconut water... I like that there are never any unhealthy ingredients used to make the healthy stuff taste better. It's ALL healthy. Julie uses coconut ice (pour coconut water into ice cube molds) a lot to sweeten and chill things. And cacao (pure, raw chocolate) is also healthy for you. When most people think of chocolate, they think of candy bars, cake frosting, ice cream. But cacao is the natural, original state of chocolate before all the junky additives like sugar and dairy. And in its raw form, it is VERY good for you. All I know is it makes you feel like you're eating dessert. Without the guilt.

As for the book itself, it is full of excellent photos of the smoothies that really make you want to try the recipes. The author has some (4-5?) pictures of herself through the book which i appreciate--I admire her beautiful, glowing skin and hair and point out to my daughter that the author looks so pretty because she eats healthy (hey whatever works to motivate your kids!) I appreciate though, that she did not overdo it including photos of herself as other health food "gurus" have done in their cookbooks. I appreciate SOME pics of the author, but the focus should be on the food, you know?

There are tons of tips, advice and information on the ingredients, where and how to shop for them, how to make the smoothies, key symbols to show you the different benefits of each one (high in protein, heart health, bone health, beauty benefits, etc)

I will be gifting this book to friends who are health-conscious. I have seen some reviewers criticize this book for the "difficult to find" ingredients and really do not understand the problem there. If you are already shopping for cookbooks online, then you can order ingredients online. I ordered the camu powder from Amazon, same place i bought this book. I can easily order the cacao nibs, hemp seeds, goji berries, maca powder, etc here too, or any other of the numerous online retailers that offer it (sources listed in the back of the book).

This book is extremely user friendly and has a supportive, positive tone. She has a start-simple approach. No need to go out and spend a ton of money on superfoods all at once. Buy a few new ingredients and start with those, which is exactly what I am doing. This book is just FUN. I am so excited to keep trying all these crazy ideas that work so well and make me feel so good. Next up is the chocolate smoothie that calls for 3 cups of steamed cauliflower. Never thought of using cauliflower in a smoothie, but if anyone can pull it off, Julie Morris can!
on April 12, 2017
In the 2-3 months I've had it, this book has provided me with so much emotional - and physical - fulfillment! As a single person with not much in the way of an appetite and limited energy, you quickly discover that making standard meals just doesn't make sense in terms of the energy and effort (and then you end up eating the same leftovers for days!) It turns out that smoothies are one of the few things in this world that actually make more sense to prepare when you're single- a blender full of smoothie doesn't go far for a family of four, but it's perfect for a single smoothie-loving person! And... smoothies just make me happy! There's something very self-nurturing about sitting down with a fancy glass full of frozen healthy goodness.

I have seen some people here say this isn't the best book for a beginner, but I'd have to disagree. I was a complete beginner to making smoothies when I bought this book, and after just a few months of smoothie making, I've easily learned enough from Morris to craft and adapt my own recipes. Some say the ingredients are hard to find, but if you have the internet and know how to use a search engine, you can find ingredients easily enough. It is true that many of the ingredients Morris recommends are expensive (maca and maqui powders, I'm looking at you), but she includes a substitution table near the back of the book so (for example) if you can't afford hemp seeds or just don't want to wait for them to ship across the country, you can use sunflower seeds from your local supermarket instead.

Some of the recipes in the book are better than others. For example, Rhubarb Mint fell flat for me, as I felt like the dates and the orange juice overwhelmed the more delicate flavors of the rhubarb and mint, and I also felt that the date and orange flavors just didn't go well together. But for every one recipe I found that was only okay, there are about 3-4 others that are outstanding. Blueberry Maqui may be the best smoothie I've ever had in my entire life, and I've hunted far and wide for good "smoothie bars". (And I even omitted the maqui powder from that recipe, because I am still in the process of acquiring some of the more exotic ingredients!) Mayan Chocolate (a spicy cacao blend) was so outstanding I was moved to make a second batch the next day, because I couldn't stop thinking that night about how wonderful it had been the first time around. Sweet Pea was marvelously, vibrantly green, although I added three times as much parsley as the recipe called for, because after tasting it I just wanted more parsley flavor.

That's actually one of the strengths of the book- Morris encourages readers to cast aside perfectionism and strict adherence to recipes with her "It's a smoothie, not a science" mantra. I have usually been the sort of person to stick closely to recipes. (Some might say "stick closely" would be an understatement.) With this book, I have felt so free to substitute, adapt recipes to my own personal taste, and just generally say to myself, "ah, that's close enough." It's been delightful to discover that, the vast majority of the time, what I make tastes wonderful regardless. It's rare that something as basic as a cookbook can free a person to really step outside of their comfort zone and grow new confidence.

Being a perfectionist, there are still one or two small ways I think the book could be improved. Morris is thoughtful enough to include a recipe for a dog smoothie, but there is no cat smoothie recipe. My cat tries to steal my smoothies all the time (just today I turned my back on a citrus smoothie for a moment only to find him up on the counter, his face shoved into my glass as he eagerly licked up the citrus flavors that the internet swears repel all cats. Yeah, not mine.) I would really love to be able to share some of my smoothies with him without having to look up each ingredient's "cat-safety" on the internet first. Even a table in the back listing which ingredients are and are not toxic to cats would have been greatly appreciated. Also, while I love the convenient little icons next to each recipe indicating that a particular smoothie is supportive of cardiovascular health or bone health or beauty or detoxification, the academic in me is murmuring "citation needed." There is a basic list of references in the back of the book, but it is not clear which parts of this book are connected to which sources Morris references. However, this is a recipe book, not an academic paper, and as such these drawbacks are quite minor.

Other good points... The majority of the recipes are very tasty and healthy (I've never eaten so many leafy greens per week in my life). The protein smoothies I've made (there's a good mix of different smoothie "genres" represented here) really are as filling as a standard meal would be. No nonfiction book is complete without good indexes, and this one has two, both helpful.

Overall, this is a wonderful book, accessible to beginners, with beautiful colorful pictures that are likely to inspire readers to make their own "superfood smoothies."
I have ordered different Smoothies as I've ventured out for the day, and have also been invited to join friends in relaxing, and enjoying Smoothies. A very popular trend, but I also noticed the prices for Smoothies in malls and stores have gone up. Julie Morris shares 100 recipes of healthy, delicious Smoothies. I received a new blender recently as a gift, and now am building my own collection of Smoothie recipes for family, friends, and social gatherings. These recipes are tasty, and there is a huge selection to choose from. I noticed that when I do enjoy a Smoothie, I quickly fill-up, and avoid junk food cravings, which is another positive sign. The different fruit flavors are inviting, Smoothies help to boost energy, and are nutritious. This book was inexpensive, and worth every penny. It's the best Smoothie book I have purchased thus far. In addition to 100 recipes of delicious Smoothie recipes, this book is also informative. The author discusses Smoothie Essentials, How much Smoothie should one drink, the nutritional rewards of Smoothies, and more. There are stunning, colorful photos that are inviting. Included in this amazing book are: fruit & Light; Green & Vibrant; Rich & Creamy; Stealth Blends; Superfood Shots. There is also information about storing Smoothies, charts, guides, and resources. My favorite Smoothie recipes thus far are CHOCOLATE MINT, MANGO COCONUT,BLACKBERRY VANILLA, and BANANA OAT. However, every week I will try a new recipe for me, and my daughter. An update: We tried the CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT; MULBERRY LAVENDER; MANGO GINGER; and the STRAWBERRY CHAMOMILE. Absolutely no complaints, very tasty choices indeed. In fact, I will be ordering more copies of this delightful, fun-filled book for birthday and holiday gifts. I am impressed by the low price of this book, and the superior quality of its contents. We will provide additional updates as we try new Smoothie recipes. At present, we are very satisfied. I love this treasure of a book! A perfect gift for friends, and family. Highly recommended!
0Comment| 204 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2017
First, I LOVE the smoothies in this book. Easily the best tasting smoothies I have ever had and much tastier than other recipes. That said, there are a lot of specialty ingredients. Examples, lucuma, camu, and acai powder. I ordered several products on Amazon, and I am not sure these are common in say, Kroger. This also adds expense, of course. To me, it is worth it. Another thing to note, some of the recipes are skimpy on fruit and veg. In other words, if you are looking to get 4 servings in a smoothie, it might be difficult with this book. That said, I have a superfood smoothie every morning for breakfast and sometimes for dinner too. I am a bit addicted. I do add Tera's vanilla whey protein. I like the fluffiness it adds to the texture and the extra protein. Overall, my go to recipe book for smoothies.
on June 23, 2016
This book was a present for my boyfriend at Christmas. It made a great small present to go with the blender I got him. He uses it fairly often.. The book has a nice dust cover on it and came well packaged. It is a hardcover, sturdy book. I so often have the problem of recipe books falling apart fairly quickly, because of all the attention those books get. I also bought it at a really good price! It has a lot of good information on the basics of smoothie making, as well as, a bunch of yummy recipes! This is a vegan recipe book so there are no milk or meat products used in any of the recipes. Some of the recipes call for ingredients that the normal kitchen does not have such as acai powder, sea buckthorn juice, etc. However, the author lists everyday substitutions for most of the ingredients and lists online sources for all of the unusual products. VERY HANDY, I found the recipes different and interesting. The Mint Chip smoothie is my favorite! Here is the recipe to give you an example.
Mint Chip Smoothie Recipe:
Makes 2 18-ounce servings
2 cups frozen spinach
2 cups frozen bananas
1⁄4 cup raw cashews
3 tablespoons cacao nibs
2 tablespoons (packed) fresh mint leaves, minced
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups rice milk (original variety)
1⁄2 cup coconut water
sweetener, to taste (optional)
Blend all the ingredients together until smooth. Taste, and sweeten
as desired.
But do not stop there, there are so many wonderful, healthy smoothie recipes in this book and I still haven't gotten a chance to try them all. Very creative recipes. Wonderful resource, would highly recommend to anyone.
review image review image review image