Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Superfood Smoothies: 100 Delicious, Energizing & Nutrient-dense Recipes
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 7, 2013
I'm a big fan of Julie Morris, I am so in love with her first book, "Superfood Kitchen", I cook from it almost every day and consider it the most valuable cookbook I own, so of course I was very excited to get my copy of "Superfood Smoothies"! I am truly amazed but not surprised that she turned out yet another masterfully written and beautifully composed book of awesome recipes. Not only are the smoothie recipes REALLY TASTY, but they are so creative and very thoughtfully concocted to maximize health, flavor, and texture. My favorites that I've tried so far are: cranberry orange (using frozen whole cranberries and OJ), acai pumpkin (yum! creative use for canned pumpkin puree), and cacao cream. There are so many more I can't wait to try!

I first started trying to turn around my health about a year ago by making green smoothies in my $30 blender, mixing frozen blueberries, banana, chia seeds, kale and almond milk every morning for breakfast. I have since upgraded to a vitamix, which makes it easier and more enjoyable to blend my daily smoothie! This book is helping me expand my smoothie repetoire so I can never, ever be bored with my smoothie!

I have also slowly expanded my superfood pantry over the last year, and wanted to pass on some tips for locating ingredients and finding good deals. Many of the negative reviews for this book seemed like the reason was because they couldn't find the ingredients or they were too expensive, which are completely bogus reasons for poorly reviewing this incredible book!! They are easy to find AND affordable if you have access to the internet!!! I live in an extremely rural isolated area, 1.5 hours drive to the nearest sizeable town with health food stores, but I buy most of the superfood ingredients online and I get much better deals than I would in stores. Also keep in mind that Navitas Naturals ins't the only brand that sells superfoods, Julie may promote them because she is their spokesperson, and they ARE a fantastic company, but I find that they have the MOST EXPENSIVE products on the market, and you don't get very much for the price. Another good brand that is more affordable is Sunfood Superfoods.

These are the online sources I use:

Nuts.com- Not only do they have awesome organic raw nuts and seeds of many varieties that I buy to make raw nut milks, they also sell many superfoods like spirulina, dried mulberries, yacon, cacao powder, acai powder, chia seeds, mesquite powder, wheatgrass powder, hemp protein powder, ect.

Amazon.com- I can find Sunfood Superfood brand products here, and have also found good deals from random other brands for everything from cacao powder, barley grass powder (starwest brand, similar to wheatgrass but often cheaper), acai powder, ect.

Vitacost.com - BEST DEAL ON HEMP SEEDS! 3 lb bag of Nutiva shelled hemp seeds for $34 - I keep a small jar on the counter to sprinkle on salads and use in recipes and store the rest in the freezer, the bag lasts me a long time! You can also find good deals on chia seeds and lots of other things

Swansonvitamins.com- They also have the same deal on the 3lb bag of Nutiva hemp seeds! Just ordered hemp seeds, chia seeds, cacao nibs, and camu powder from them.

Bottom line, if you buy this book (AND "Superfood Kitchen" while you're at it!), you are well on your way to make super nutritious MAGIC happen in your kitchen!!
1818 comments| 572 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2013
If you're a novice smoothie maker, you will really appreciate how Julie took the time to go through the steps of smoothie making in great detail and will be introduced to amazing smart combinations.
If you, like me, have been making smoothies pretty much everyday for the last 10 years, have exhausted your creativity to combine ingredients and could use some really unique, tasty and nutritious recipes, you will absolutely love this book.
Superfoods may sound foreign if you haven't used them before and you don't necessarily need to buy every single superfood out there, you can certainly leave out the superfood suggestions for many of the recipes and still end up with a vibrant and nutritious drink. Some of the superfoods can be expensive but a bit goes a long way. Julie provides excellent information on each superfood, how, where and what form to buy, benefits, serving size and substitutions.
I got this book on a Saturday and on the next day I basically ended up doing a smoothie day, each recipe I tried was so delicious, so full of flavor and was packed with so many nutrients that I kept wanting to try more recipes :-) Everything I've tried so far was absolutely amazing, really love this book, there are combinations of ingredients that I would have never though of after so many years making smoothies.
** Update: Yesterday I started to explore one of the chapters called superfood shots,they are small, highly condensed smoothies, what a fantastic idea! Yesterday I had one called 'Stress recovery', there is one for energy boost, one for fighting cold... Really interesting ideas!
77 comments| 242 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2014
This is an exceptionally well-written book, and the layout is fantastic. It's easy to read, and making all the smoothies is straightforward. There are a lot of nice pictures throughout. This is a bit of a food snob book, however. I've never heard of most of the ingredients, and this book emphasizes, basically, the "evil" dairy products, and God forbid whey protein! So, no yogurt or milk in these smoothies - those are for people that don't know how to use calories wisely. To name the most commonly used ingredients in this book: dried white mulberry, sea buckthorn berries, lucuma powder, Medjool dates, dried goji berries, maqui berry powder, and camu berry powder.

It's written in a very friendly manner, and all of these weird-sounding ingredients are well-explained. But I wouldn't know where to begin to find them. If you buy them online, they are expensive. Sure, lucuma powder or goji berries may have more antioxidants than blueberries, but when I can find beautiful, fresh blueberries locally for a third the cost, I think I'll go with blueberries! It isn't written with a condescending tone, but it definitely thinks all other sources of vitamins and minerals from basic fruits and vegetables are for people living in the stone age.

The most disconcerting thing is when I went to buy these ingredients online, many reviewers were saying things such as "not supposed to be eaten raw" or "sent me to the hospital with bad skin reaction". I'll stick with what I know, and what's locally available! There are plenty of nutritious and organic fruits and vegetables around that are more suitable for healthy smoothies!
3131 comments| 422 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have ordered different Smoothies as I've ventured out for the day, and have also been invited to join friends in relaxing, and enjoying Smoothies. A very popular trend, but I also noticed the prices for Smoothies in malls and stores have gone up. Julie Morris shares 100 recipes of healthy, delicious Smoothies. I received a new blender recently as a gift, and now am building my own collection of Smoothie recipes for family, friends, and social gatherings. These recipes are tasty, and there is a huge selection to choose from. I noticed that when I do enjoy a Smoothie, I quickly fill-up, and avoid junk food cravings, which is another positive sign. The different fruit flavors are inviting, Smoothies help to boost energy, and are nutritious. This book was inexpensive, and worth every penny. It's the best Smoothie book I have purchased thus far. In addition to 100 recipes of delicious Smoothie recipes, this book is also informative. The author discusses Smoothie Essentials, How much Smoothie should one drink, the nutritional rewards of Smoothies, and more. There are stunning, colorful photos that are inviting. Included in this amazing book are: fruit & Light; Green & Vibrant; Rich & Creamy; Stealth Blends; Superfood Shots. There is also information about storing Smoothies, charts, guides, and resources. My favorite Smoothie recipes thus far are CHOCOLATE MINT, MANGO COCONUT,BLACKBERRY VANILLA, and BANANA OAT. However, every week I will try a new recipe for me, and my daughter. An update: We tried the CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT; MULBERRY LAVENDER; MANGO GINGER; and the STRAWBERRY CHAMOMILE. Absolutely no complaints, very tasty choices indeed. In fact, I will be ordering more copies of this delightful, fun-filled book for birthday and holiday gifts. I am impressed by the low price of this book, and the superior quality of its contents. We will provide additional updates as we try new Smoothie recipes. At present, we are very satisfied. I love this treasure of a book! A perfect gift for friends, and family. Highly recommended!
0Comment| 194 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 5, 2015
I'm eating much healthier now that we have this book! I used to get tired of smoothies so quickly because they were always the same, but this book has so much variety that we can pick a new smoothie everyday! It took a little bit of effort and money to stock our pantry with new ingredients at first, but the superfoods (acai, camu, lucuma, gogi...) last a long time and add so much yummy flavor to the smoothies. Each week we pick out 3-4 smoothies for the week and make sure we have all the ingredients when we go shopping- it is nice to know we are getting a nutrition-packed meal at least once a day! I suggest this book to friends all the time (hint- we prefer it on the iPad so we can search for certain fruits with the search function if we wanted to find something particular i.e. "I'm feeling like a strawberry smoothie...")

Pictured below: Orange Gogi, ingredients for a Strawberry smoothie, and the infamous Cookie Dough!
review image review image review image
on August 18, 2014
The recipes for smoothies in this book is phenomenal. A great deal of snacks and drinks today at the grocery stores are full of CRUD and the smoothie shops are overpriced - so it's wonderful being able to make your own smoothies at home that you leave you refreshed and money in the pocket.

My husband showed me a trick for our kids - we used our Grazia Popsicle molds and began freezing our smoothies for nice treats after a hot day. All of these smoothie recipes work incredible well with the Popsicle molds- I definitely recommend trying it. You can try it for yourself: GRAZIA® - Set of 4 Premium Silicone Popsicle Molds, NEW Vibrant 2013 Colors, Popsicle Mold,FDA Approved & BPA Free, Make Healthy Popsicles and Smoothie Pops, Use your Imagination as to what you can Create with the Whole Family, NON STICK & Flexible and ...
33 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2014
I bought this book despite reviews claiming the ingredients were hard to get or expensive. I live near some large coops and figured it would be easy for me. I also thought I would just substitute out the one odd ingredient that I didn't want to buy. I expected 80 or 90 percent of the recipe to be healthy greens or fruits. Problem is... many of the recipes are made out of all odd and unusual ingredients. So unless you have unlimited space in your kitchen think carefully. I didn't even bother trying out any of the recipes and took the book right to the goodwill. It's just too much of a pain to pick up all these little oddities for one recipe. So I was warned, but didn't appreciate the extent of the problem till I saw the recipes.
44 comments| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 16, 2013
I bought this book because I absolutely love nutrient-dense smoothies and wanted something more than "some yogurt, some bananas" kind of recipes.

Honestly, if you have a high-quality health food store near you and can afford to buy exotic, unusual foods in bulk... then go for it! It's full of beautiful recipes that I'm sure are magnificent. However, I am a student on a budget... despite the modest superfood pantry I've maintained for years, I haven't stood a chance for making a single one of these recipes. I've been vegetarian/macrobiotic/raw for 5 years, but a lot of these ingredients are so exotic that I've never heard of them and I can't find them in my city.

I don't mean this to be a bad review in any way, but I do want to let others know that they should expect to spend some time and money searching for the ingredients!
on May 1, 2014
Aside from very nice design and beautiful photos, this book is totally useless for me. Please give me normal recipes with fresh "superfoods", which I can find and buy at local grocery stores or farmers' markets such as pomegranate, blueberries, raspberries, kale, arugula, spinach etc. (yogurt is a "superfood" as well!), and not tons of "superfood" powders (which are, of course, very expensive since the magic marketing word "superfood" is currently very popular, and as such doesn't really exist in reality -- all fresh foods packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants are "superfoods"). Disappointed!
22 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2013
I just can not say enough great things about this book! I bought this because it serves a lot of my dietary goals--raw, vegan, healthy. I want to get more fruits, veggies, nuts, and seeds into my 9 year old daughter. We also have a 91 year old to take care of that has problems eating (difficulty swallowing & digesting, low appetite, sensitive to strong flavors, etc etc.) So making the healthiest smoothies possible is a perfect solution for all this. You are feeding your family top nutrition foods, it's quick and easy to prepare, they go down easy, and you can sneak in all kinds of things that you might otherwise be clueless about how to serve. We also live in hot AZ and a cool smoothie is always nice.

So far we have tried the Creamy Orange, Mint Chip, and Cookie Dough smoothies. I can not believe how Delicious (yes with a capital D!) the Mint Chip smoothie was!! I never thought of spinach beyond a salad/soup/sandwich ingredient. We had the Mint Chip smoothie for breakfast this morning. It was so refreshing and satisfying, and I was quite proud of myself that I served my kid spinach and banana, cashews and super-healthy cacao for breakfast! Wow wow wow. We also (we being me, the kid, the husband) liked the Cookie Dough smoothie too. It is so sweet and yummy, dessert-like, but guess what's in it! Pecans, dates, cacao, a pear, coconut water... I like that there are never any unhealthy ingredients used to make the healthy stuff taste better. It's ALL healthy. Julie uses coconut ice (pour coconut water into ice cube molds) a lot to sweeten and chill things. And cacao (pure, raw chocolate) is also healthy for you. When most people think of chocolate, they think of candy bars, cake frosting, ice cream. But cacao is the natural, original state of chocolate before all the junky additives like sugar and dairy. And in its raw form, it is VERY good for you. All I know is it makes you feel like you're eating dessert. Without the guilt.

As for the book itself, it is full of excellent photos of the smoothies that really make you want to try the recipes. The author has some (4-5?) pictures of herself through the book which i appreciate--I admire her beautiful, glowing skin and hair and point out to my daughter that the author looks so pretty because she eats healthy (hey whatever works to motivate your kids!) I appreciate though, that she did not overdo it including photos of herself as other health food "gurus" have done in their cookbooks. I appreciate SOME pics of the author, but the focus should be on the food, you know?

There are tons of tips, advice and information on the ingredients, where and how to shop for them, how to make the smoothies, key symbols to show you the different benefits of each one (high in protein, heart health, bone health, beauty benefits, etc)

I will be gifting this book to friends who are health-conscious. I have seen some reviewers criticize this book for the "difficult to find" ingredients and really do not understand the problem there. If you are already shopping for cookbooks online, then you can order ingredients online. I ordered the camu powder from Amazon, same place i bought this book. I can easily order the cacao nibs, hemp seeds, goji berries, maca powder, etc here too, or any other of the numerous online retailers that offer it (sources listed in the back of the book).

This book is extremely user friendly and has a supportive, positive tone. She has a start-simple approach. No need to go out and spend a ton of money on superfoods all at once. Buy a few new ingredients and start with those, which is exactly what I am doing. This book is just FUN. I am so excited to keep trying all these crazy ideas that work so well and make me feel so good. Next up is the chocolate smoothie that calls for 3 cups of steamed cauliflower. Never thought of using cauliflower in a smoothie, but if anyone can pull it off, Julie Morris can!