Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 948 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,028 reviews
on May 7, 2013
I'm a big fan of Julie Morris, I am so in love with her first book, "Superfood Kitchen", I cook from it almost every day and consider it the most valuable cookbook I own, so of course I was very excited to get my copy of "Superfood Smoothies"! I am truly amazed but not surprised that she turned out yet another masterfully written and beautifully composed book of awesome recipes. Not only are the smoothie recipes REALLY TASTY, but they are so creative and very thoughtfully concocted to maximize health, flavor, and texture. My favorites that I've tried so far are: cranberry orange (using frozen whole cranberries and OJ), acai pumpkin (yum! creative use for canned pumpkin puree), and cacao cream. There are so many more I can't wait to try!

I first started trying to turn around my health about a year ago by making green smoothies in my $30 blender, mixing frozen blueberries, banana, chia seeds, kale and almond milk every morning for breakfast. I have since upgraded to a vitamix, which makes it easier and more enjoyable to blend my daily smoothie! This book is helping me expand my smoothie repetoire so I can never, ever be bored with my smoothie!

I have also slowly expanded my superfood pantry over the last year, and wanted to pass on some tips for locating ingredients and finding good deals. Many of the negative reviews for this book seemed like the reason was because they couldn't find the ingredients or they were too expensive, which are completely bogus reasons for poorly reviewing this incredible book!! They are easy to find AND affordable if you have access to the internet!!! I live in an extremely rural isolated area, 1.5 hours drive to the nearest sizeable town with health food stores, but I buy most of the superfood ingredients online and I get much better deals than I would in stores. Also keep in mind that Navitas Naturals ins't the only brand that sells superfoods, Julie may promote them because she is their spokesperson, and they ARE a fantastic company, but I find that they have the MOST EXPENSIVE products on the market, and you don't get very much for the price. Another good brand that is more affordable is Sunfood Superfoods.

These are the online sources I use:

Nuts.com- Not only do they have awesome organic raw nuts and seeds of many varieties that I buy to make raw nut milks, they also sell many superfoods like spirulina, dried mulberries, yacon, cacao powder, acai powder, chia seeds, mesquite powder, wheatgrass powder, hemp protein powder, ect.

Amazon.com- I can find Sunfood Superfood brand products here, and have also found good deals from random other brands for everything from cacao powder, barley grass powder (starwest brand, similar to wheatgrass but often cheaper), acai powder, ect.

Vitacost.com - BEST DEAL ON HEMP SEEDS! 3 lb bag of Nutiva shelled hemp seeds for $34 - I keep a small jar on the counter to sprinkle on salads and use in recipes and store the rest in the freezer, the bag lasts me a long time! You can also find good deals on chia seeds and lots of other things

Swansonvitamins.com- They also have the same deal on the 3lb bag of Nutiva hemp seeds! Just ordered hemp seeds, chia seeds, cacao nibs, and camu powder from them.

Bottom line, if you buy this book (AND "Superfood Kitchen" while you're at it!), you are well on your way to make super nutritious MAGIC happen in your kitchen!!
1818 comments| 685 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2013
If you're a novice smoothie maker, you will really appreciate how Julie took the time to go through the steps of smoothie making in great detail and will be introduced to amazing smart combinations.
If you, like me, have been making smoothies pretty much everyday for the last 10 years, have exhausted your creativity to combine ingredients and could use some really unique, tasty and nutritious recipes, you will absolutely love this book.
Superfoods may sound foreign if you haven't used them before and you don't necessarily need to buy every single superfood out there, you can certainly leave out the superfood suggestions for many of the recipes and still end up with a vibrant and nutritious drink. Some of the superfoods can be expensive but a bit goes a long way. Julie provides excellent information on each superfood, how, where and what form to buy, benefits, serving size and substitutions.
I got this book on a Saturday and on the next day I basically ended up doing a smoothie day, each recipe I tried was so delicious, so full of flavor and was packed with so many nutrients that I kept wanting to try more recipes :-) Everything I've tried so far was absolutely amazing, really love this book, there are combinations of ingredients that I would have never though of after so many years making smoothies.
** Update: Yesterday I started to explore one of the chapters called superfood shots,they are small, highly condensed smoothies, what a fantastic idea! Yesterday I had one called 'Stress recovery', there is one for energy boost, one for fighting cold... Really interesting ideas!
77 comments| 287 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2016
It's the summer here in Arizona and that means loads of smoothies not only for kids but adults as well. There are so many fantastic smoothy recipes that our book is already book marked to the hilt with favorites! We mixed protein powder into some of the recipes to add a little kick for my teenage son who is hell bent on working out for upcoming senior year in high school , and my daughter who is beyond health conscious reads this more than her college nursing books :-) Fantastic go-to menus in a flash !
on January 12, 2017
I recently decided to work on loosing weight. One of the efforts I am consciously making is to have very light dinner. I have totally replaced my dinners with fruit smoothies. I use both fresh and frozen fruit with rice or soy milk to make smoothies. I do not use any sugar, ice cream or other dairy products in my smoothies other than plain Greek yoghurt on occasion.

I recently purchased a book on Soups from the same author and this book is just as valuable as the first one. Even if one is picky about the fruits they like (or do nto like) with 100 recipes it is easy to pick and choose favorite flavors of smoothies. All recipes are easy to follow and bookis full of lovely color photos of the final products. This is a must have cookbook for anyone who loves healthy foods in their kitchen. Everyone can have these smoothies - both children and adults will love it.
on April 9, 2014
This is by far one of the best cookbooks I have ever purchased for my collection. I refer to it daily, usually a couple of times. Every single recipe I have tried has been delicious, even when a smoothie is made with something I am not crazy about (grapefruit for example). I think I have made at least 10-15 of the smoothie recipes since I received this a couple of weeks ago and really have been pleased with every single one. Julie Morris packs a lot of great information in the first little bit of the cookbook - you really learn about superfood ingredients and why they are so healthful. I love the way the rest of the cookbook is arranged and chaptered. It really helps you pick out a smoothie for what you feel like (fruity & light, green & vibrant, rich & creamy, etc.). While there are a number of ingredients that you may not easily find at a regular grocery store, they are all easily attainable online. I do a lot of online shopping anyways so this was no problem for me. Julie includes a list of resources but I found every ingredient I needed online without having to consult the list. They may appear a little costly up front, but they usually contain a lot of servings per package and the nutrition you are getting is well worth the cost. I have noticed an increase in energy and well being since I started incorporating these smoothies into my daily routine. They come together in minutes and even though they may call for some special ingredients, you usually only use 2-3 in each drink. There is also the option for a "superfood boost" where you might add an additionally healthy ingredient (like chia seeds or hemp hearts). I highly recommend this book and if you want to add some variety to your diet or smoothie repertoire this will fit the bill!

Update 4/16/14: I have still faithfully been making delicious smoothies from this book. I have to mention something I didn't before...I love that the smoothies aren't overly sweet, Julie often leaves it up to you to sweeten to taste and lists what ingredients she like to use to do that (I mostly use raw honey). So far everything has been just delicious. The Pomegranate Orange is absolutely amazing! It's one of her low calories smoothies (which means it is about 225 calories or less) and love that I can fit it in as an afternoon snack or add some protein superfood powder and make it into a lunch. Her Cacao Mocha smoothie is also unbelievably tasty. It almost tastes too good to be true. Tonight I made her Toasted Macademia for dinner and thought it really hit the spot. I think I needed to toast my coconut for just a little longer and then it will be perfect. I think my most favorite smoothie so far is the caramelized banana. Even my husband couldn't believe that it was healthy for you because it tasted like a milk shake. I feel like that recipe is worth the price of the book alone. I feel great when I drink these. I try and get one in a day and feel even better when I can sneak a second one in. My skin is very sensitive to dietary changes and I honestly did not expect to see the improvement I have seen in my complexion. It just looks better and healthier than it has before. Really love this book!
on May 13, 2014
I have been using the NutriBullet religiously for about a month now. This book is geared more towards the Vita Mix or similar blenders, however, if you divide each recipe in half they work well in the NutriBullet as well. Some reviewers have stated that the Superfoods mentioned in this book are hard to find and expensive. Morris outlines where you can find the powders in the last section of the book. A simple search on Amazon will also give you plenty of options that are budget friendly. You really only use a small amount, so they last quite some time. Don't let this scare you off. The book is full of wonderful recipes and is well worth the investment. I promise that you will enjoy the smoothies! I'm hooked.

***UPDATE***

Just made the Cucumber Mint recipe and it is fantastic. Perfect for a warm summer day :)Every recipe has been wonderful so far - a lot of time went into making this book! Thank you Julie! I no longer drink boring smoothies!
on February 11, 2014
This book has some nice looking smoothie recipes but a lot of them contain uncommon stuff you don't find at most grocery stores. Some would be pretty expensive to make too. Returned it...
If you are looking to create exotic new smoothie combinations, with superfood ingredients, this book will probably be a 5-star read. The author uses freeze dried fruit powders, coconut water, rice milk, nut and seed milks, along with exotic berries like goji berries and mulberries to make superfood smoothies. If you are concerned about the lack of nutrition in today's food, these smoothies are designed to give you maximum nutrition. I told my stepmother about wheatgrass being healthy for you. She started putting it in her morning smoothie and even her hair started growing thicker, so these superfoods seem to have multiple positive effects.

However, the author cautions, don't overdo it on some of the powders as they are concentrated. If it calls for 1/2 tsp. of a powder, don't dump two tablespoons in. "More is not always better," is one of her superfood smoothie principles. Others include: simple whole ingredients are best * every ingredient has a purpose * nutrient density comes first * save sugar for dessert * superfood smoothies can taste good

Author Julie Morris is a natural food chef and includes 100 superfood smoothie recipes with an accompanying photo in the book. She writes that she hopes the recipes are a springboard to make your own concoctions. While many of the ingredients you can buy at your local grocery store, you may want to visit a natural food store for some of the ingredients like the fruit powders and wheatgrass. The book is beautifully designed and the smoothies look luscious. Reading it is like having a natural foods chef suggest some of her favorite recipes to drink. One suggestion I really liked is to make flavored ice - like a green tea ice. Sneak the nutrition it. This book should inspire you to enjoy creating your own superfood smoothie concoctions.
on June 3, 2013
I began making smoothies about 4 months ago after purchasing a Vitamix blender - mostly just by following their enclosed recipes. But then it was time to go beyond the basics.

Julie's book is revelation and can be appreciated on many levels: the recipes, the photography, the scope and quality of the writing and the overall design. The biggest leap for me was a willingness to stock up my pantry with the relatively exotic group of ingredients that are at the core of the recipes, the 'Super 15", as I was only familiar with about half of them (despite over a decade as a lacto-vegetarian). $100 + later, I was on my way.

There are way too many favorites thus far: Banana Berry, Chai, Vanilla Almond, Maca Oat, Ginger Pear, Creamy Orange - the list just goes on and on. Tomorrow I will try "Red Velvet Cake", made with roasted beets, mulberries and cacao. I am so hooked!

This book is not just the incremental step I was looking for, but something WAY more.
on September 15, 2013
Per other reviewers, there are a number of specialized products ingredients in these smoothies. In the beginning, I was willing to invest in a few ingredients to see if it was worth it. I looked through all of the recipes and picked a couple. With great results, I invested in a couple more and made some substitutions to continue trying different recipes. Again great results. I noticed that some recipes required me to add more liquid than listed in the recipe and I adjust accordingly.

After a month of making the smoothies from this book (i've only repeated two recipes so far), this book was completely worth the investment for the book and the ingredients. This weekend, I invested in two additional ingredients and don't regret it one bit.

Since purchasing this book (and because of the reviews warning of the costs of ingredients), I have been planning meals better in order to use the ingredients (fresh and packaged) to their fullest and find that my fruit, veggie and protein intake has improved and I have more sustained energy.

My husband follows a packaged shake plan and I tried it on two days and thought it was completely awful compared to the fresh flavors that these recipes render. If you invest in this book, go in with a plan and you won't have sticker shock and will enjoy it immensely.