Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on May 7, 2013
I'm a big fan of Julie Morris, I am so in love with her first book, "Superfood Kitchen", I cook from it almost every day and consider it the most valuable cookbook I own, so of course I was very excited to get my copy of "Superfood Smoothies"! I am truly amazed but not surprised that she turned out yet another masterfully written and beautifully composed book of awesome recipes. Not only are the smoothie recipes REALLY TASTY, but they are so creative and very thoughtfully concocted to maximize health, flavor, and texture. My favorites that I've tried so far are: cranberry orange (using frozen whole cranberries and OJ), acai pumpkin (yum! creative use for canned pumpkin puree), and cacao cream. There are so many more I can't wait to try!

I first started trying to turn around my health about a year ago by making green smoothies in my $30 blender, mixing frozen blueberries, banana, chia seeds, kale and almond milk every morning for breakfast. I have since upgraded to a vitamix, which makes it easier and more enjoyable to blend my daily smoothie! This book is helping me expand my smoothie repetoire so I can never, ever be bored with my smoothie!

I have also slowly expanded my superfood pantry over the last year, and wanted to pass on some tips for locating ingredients and finding good deals. Many of the negative reviews for this book seemed like the reason was because they couldn't find the ingredients or they were too expensive, which are completely bogus reasons for poorly reviewing this incredible book!! They are easy to find AND affordable if you have access to the internet!!! I live in an extremely rural isolated area, 1.5 hours drive to the nearest sizeable town with health food stores, but I buy most of the superfood ingredients online and I get much better deals than I would in stores. Also keep in mind that Navitas Naturals ins't the only brand that sells superfoods, Julie may promote them because she is their spokesperson, and they ARE a fantastic company, but I find that they have the MOST EXPENSIVE products on the market, and you don't get very much for the price. Another good brand that is more affordable is Sunfood Superfoods.

These are the online sources I use:

Nuts.com- Not only do they have awesome organic raw nuts and seeds of many varieties that I buy to make raw nut milks, they also sell many superfoods like spirulina, dried mulberries, yacon, cacao powder, acai powder, chia seeds, mesquite powder, wheatgrass powder, hemp protein powder, ect.

Amazon.com- I can find Sunfood Superfood brand products here, and have also found good deals from random other brands for everything from cacao powder, barley grass powder (starwest brand, similar to wheatgrass but often cheaper), acai powder, ect.

Vitacost.com - BEST DEAL ON HEMP SEEDS! 3 lb bag of Nutiva shelled hemp seeds for $34 - I keep a small jar on the counter to sprinkle on salads and use in recipes and store the rest in the freezer, the bag lasts me a long time! You can also find good deals on chia seeds and lots of other things

Swansonvitamins.com- They also have the same deal on the 3lb bag of Nutiva hemp seeds! Just ordered hemp seeds, chia seeds, cacao nibs, and camu powder from them.

Bottom line, if you buy this book (AND "Superfood Kitchen" while you're at it!), you are well on your way to make super nutritious MAGIC happen in your kitchen!!
1818 comments| 712 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 9, 2014
This is an exceptionally well-written book, and the layout is fantastic. It's easy to read, and making all the smoothies is straightforward. There are a lot of nice pictures throughout. This is a bit of a food snob book, however. I've never heard of most of the ingredients, and this book emphasizes, basically, the "evil" dairy products, and God forbid whey protein! So, no yogurt or milk in these smoothies - those are for people that don't know how to use calories wisely. To name the most commonly used ingredients in this book: dried white mulberry, sea buckthorn berries, lucuma powder, Medjool dates, dried goji berries, maqui berry powder, and camu berry powder.

It's written in a very friendly manner, and all of these weird-sounding ingredients are well-explained. But I wouldn't know where to begin to find them. If you buy them online, they are expensive. Sure, lucuma powder or goji berries may have more antioxidants than blueberries, but when I can find beautiful, fresh blueberries locally for a third the cost, I think I'll go with blueberries! It isn't written with a condescending tone, but it definitely thinks all other sources of vitamins and minerals from basic fruits and vegetables are for people living in the stone age.

The most disconcerting thing is when I went to buy these ingredients online, many reviewers were saying things such as "not supposed to be eaten raw" or "sent me to the hospital with bad skin reaction". I'll stick with what I know, and what's locally available! There are plenty of nutritious and organic fruits and vegetables around that are more suitable for healthy smoothies!
4040 comments| 641 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 5, 2015
I'm eating much healthier now that we have this book! I used to get tired of smoothies so quickly because they were always the same, but this book has so much variety that we can pick a new smoothie everyday! It took a little bit of effort and money to stock our pantry with new ingredients at first, but the superfoods (acai, camu, lucuma, gogi...) last a long time and add so much yummy flavor to the smoothies. Each week we pick out 3-4 smoothies for the week and make sure we have all the ingredients when we go shopping- it is nice to know we are getting a nutrition-packed meal at least once a day! I suggest this book to friends all the time (hint- we prefer it on the iPad so we can search for certain fruits with the search function if we wanted to find something particular i.e. "I'm feeling like a strawberry smoothie...")

Pictured below: Orange Gogi, ingredients for a Strawberry smoothie, and the infamous Cookie Dough!
review imagereview imagereview image
0Comment| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 30, 2013
If you're a novice smoothie maker, you will really appreciate how Julie took the time to go through the steps of smoothie making in great detail and will be introduced to amazing smart combinations.
If you, like me, have been making smoothies pretty much everyday for the last 10 years, have exhausted your creativity to combine ingredients and could use some really unique, tasty and nutritious recipes, you will absolutely love this book.
Superfoods may sound foreign if you haven't used them before and you don't necessarily need to buy every single superfood out there, you can certainly leave out the superfood suggestions for many of the recipes and still end up with a vibrant and nutritious drink. Some of the superfoods can be expensive but a bit goes a long way. Julie provides excellent information on each superfood, how, where and what form to buy, benefits, serving size and substitutions.
I got this book on a Saturday and on the next day I basically ended up doing a smoothie day, each recipe I tried was so delicious, so full of flavor and was packed with so many nutrients that I kept wanting to try more recipes :-) Everything I've tried so far was absolutely amazing, really love this book, there are combinations of ingredients that I would have never though of after so many years making smoothies.
** Update: Yesterday I started to explore one of the chapters called superfood shots,they are small, highly condensed smoothies, what a fantastic idea! Yesterday I had one called 'Stress recovery', there is one for energy boost, one for fighting cold... Really interesting ideas!
77 comments| 291 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon January 6, 2014
If you are looking to create exotic new smoothie combinations, with superfood ingredients, this book will probably be a 5-star read. The author uses freeze dried fruit powders, coconut water, rice milk, nut and seed milks, along with exotic berries like goji berries and mulberries to make superfood smoothies. If you are concerned about the lack of nutrition in today's food, these smoothies are designed to give you maximum nutrition. I told my stepmother about wheatgrass being healthy for you. She started putting it in her morning smoothie and even her hair started growing thicker, so these superfoods seem to have multiple positive effects.

However, the author cautions, don't overdo it on some of the powders as they are concentrated. If it calls for 1/2 tsp. of a powder, don't dump two tablespoons in. "More is not always better," is one of her superfood smoothie principles. Others include: simple whole ingredients are best * every ingredient has a purpose * nutrient density comes first * save sugar for dessert * superfood smoothies can taste good

Author Julie Morris is a natural food chef and includes 100 superfood smoothie recipes with an accompanying photo in the book. She writes that she hopes the recipes are a springboard to make your own concoctions. While many of the ingredients you can buy at your local grocery store, you may want to visit a natural food store for some of the ingredients like the fruit powders and wheatgrass. The book is beautifully designed and the smoothies look luscious. Reading it is like having a natural foods chef suggest some of her favorite recipes to drink. One suggestion I really liked is to make flavored ice - like a green tea ice. Sneak the nutrition it. This book should inspire you to enjoy creating your own superfood smoothie concoctions.
on April 29, 2014
I really like the basis of adding super foods to our smoothies. The explanation of superfood benefits in the beginning and suggestions for there use is great! I purchased this after my library loan ended.

So far I've made:

Orange goji- this is not only amazingly delicious but extremely filling(I was energized for hours)

Chocolate kale- you would never know there are 1.5 cups of packed kale in here... (Seriously good)

This book also, contains bases you can add to any smoothie to boost its nutrition like chia gel.

I've been gradually adding super foods to my pantry and it's nice to have some inspiration for using them in recipes. Also, if you are a smoothie lover like me this is a must have! So many unique and fun smoothie ideas.
on July 24, 2016
OMGoodness, these recipes are absolutely delicious. Although some of the ingredients are somewhat unique, and, not easily found in the local grocery stores, they are readily available on Amazon. I have tried many different smoothie/juice recipes from other books, they are good, but these are great!! Some of the smoothies are better than ice cream or other deserts, yet totally healthy, WOW, so glad I choose this book.
on December 31, 2013
As a newbie to healthy smoothies & superfoods, I borrowed this cookbook from a friend and loved it so much, I had to order one to keep. Julie's cookbook is wonderful--compact, attractive enough to leave out on the counter and full of great, easy to understand information about what superfoods are, why they're important and how to successfully incorporate smoothies into your everyday eating. Her recipes are clear, easy to follow and beautifully photographed. Best of all, the ingredient info & helpful tips made it much less daunting for me to try some of these superfood powders I'd never heard of, and to gauge which items to invest in right now and which to consider incorporating when my budget allows. Delicious and gives you the tools/knowledge to experiment with your own smoothie concoctions. Love!
on December 15, 2014
I love this book! I have tried almost every recipe in less than 10 days during my winter cleanse. I am going to continue making smoothies out of this book daily because it offers not only variety, but also exquisite flavors and freshness. I have also gotten new ideas for smoothies, learned about how to use the proposed super-foods in my diet, and received useful tips on making the best and most delicious smoothies. Might I add, I feel great too? I don't know Julie Morris, but I'd like to. I'm very impressed with her recipes, and her compilation of a healthy diet for our modern world. I do have to admit, you have to stock your pantry with the super-food powders and other healthy produce. I did it willingly, but I can see how for those with less nutritional gumption, this might be a turn-off. Not me! This book is the best recipe book I've ever owned.
on June 5, 2015
I purchased this book a few weeks ago and I can already say that it's one of my favorite cookbooks. I've already made a handful of smoothies from the book and each one was excellent. So far, my favorite is the Vanilla Almond Smoothie. Incredibly delicious.

Many of the superfood ingredients are expensive and hard to find at traditional retailers. However, I was able to purchase many of them from Vitacost. They also last a while. I've already made 10 smoothie packs with the ingredients and I've only run out of 1 (all other ingredients are still plentiful).

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to start making great smoothies at home.