Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18SW_gno

on May 7, 2013
I'm a big fan of Julie Morris, I am so in love with her first book, "Superfood Kitchen", I cook from it almost every day and consider it the most valuable cookbook I own, so of course I was very excited to get my copy of "Superfood Smoothies"! I am truly amazed but not surprised that she turned out yet another masterfully written and beautifully composed book of awesome recipes. Not only are the smoothie recipes REALLY TASTY, but they are so creative and very thoughtfully concocted to maximize health, flavor, and texture. My favorites that I've tried so far are: cranberry orange (using frozen whole cranberries and OJ), acai pumpkin (yum! creative use for canned pumpkin puree), and cacao cream. There are so many more I can't wait to try!

I first started trying to turn around my health about a year ago by making green smoothies in my $30 blender, mixing frozen blueberries, banana, chia seeds, kale and almond milk every morning for breakfast. I have since upgraded to a vitamix, which makes it easier and more enjoyable to blend my daily smoothie! This book is helping me expand my smoothie repetoire so I can never, ever be bored with my smoothie!

I have also slowly expanded my superfood pantry over the last year, and wanted to pass on some tips for locating ingredients and finding good deals. Many of the negative reviews for this book seemed like the reason was because they couldn't find the ingredients or they were too expensive, which are completely bogus reasons for poorly reviewing this incredible book!! They are easy to find AND affordable if you have access to the internet!!! I live in an extremely rural isolated area, 1.5 hours drive to the nearest sizeable town with health food stores, but I buy most of the superfood ingredients online and I get much better deals than I would in stores. Also keep in mind that Navitas Naturals ins't the only brand that sells superfoods, Julie may promote them because she is their spokesperson, and they ARE a fantastic company, but I find that they have the MOST EXPENSIVE products on the market, and you don't get very much for the price. Another good brand that is more affordable is Sunfood Superfoods.

These are the online sources I use:

Nuts.com- Not only do they have awesome organic raw nuts and seeds of many varieties that I buy to make raw nut milks, they also sell many superfoods like spirulina, dried mulberries, yacon, cacao powder, acai powder, chia seeds, mesquite powder, wheatgrass powder, hemp protein powder, ect.

Amazon.com- I can find Sunfood Superfood brand products here, and have also found good deals from random other brands for everything from cacao powder, barley grass powder (starwest brand, similar to wheatgrass but often cheaper), acai powder, ect.

Vitacost.com - BEST DEAL ON HEMP SEEDS! 3 lb bag of Nutiva shelled hemp seeds for $34 - I keep a small jar on the counter to sprinkle on salads and use in recipes and store the rest in the freezer, the bag lasts me a long time! You can also find good deals on chia seeds and lots of other things

Swansonvitamins.com- They also have the same deal on the 3lb bag of Nutiva hemp seeds! Just ordered hemp seeds, chia seeds, cacao nibs, and camu powder from them.

Bottom line, if you buy this book (AND "Superfood Kitchen" while you're at it!), you are well on your way to make super nutritious MAGIC happen in your kitchen!!
1818 comments| 727 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 9, 2014
This is an exceptionally well-written book, and the layout is fantastic. It's easy to read, and making all the smoothies is straightforward. There are a lot of nice pictures throughout. This is a bit of a food snob book, however. I've never heard of most of the ingredients, and this book emphasizes, basically, the "evil" dairy products, and God forbid whey protein! So, no yogurt or milk in these smoothies - those are for people that don't know how to use calories wisely. To name the most commonly used ingredients in this book: dried white mulberry, sea buckthorn berries, lucuma powder, Medjool dates, dried goji berries, maqui berry powder, and camu berry powder.

It's written in a very friendly manner, and all of these weird-sounding ingredients are well-explained. But I wouldn't know where to begin to find them. If you buy them online, they are expensive. Sure, lucuma powder or goji berries may have more antioxidants than blueberries, but when I can find beautiful, fresh blueberries locally for a third the cost, I think I'll go with blueberries! It isn't written with a condescending tone, but it definitely thinks all other sources of vitamins and minerals from basic fruits and vegetables are for people living in the stone age.

The most disconcerting thing is when I went to buy these ingredients online, many reviewers were saying things such as "not supposed to be eaten raw" or "sent me to the hospital with bad skin reaction". I'll stick with what I know, and what's locally available! There are plenty of nutritious and organic fruits and vegetables around that are more suitable for healthy smoothies!
4141 comments| 654 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 30, 2013
If you're a novice smoothie maker, you will really appreciate how Julie took the time to go through the steps of smoothie making in great detail and will be introduced to amazing smart combinations.
If you, like me, have been making smoothies pretty much everyday for the last 10 years, have exhausted your creativity to combine ingredients and could use some really unique, tasty and nutritious recipes, you will absolutely love this book.
Superfoods may sound foreign if you haven't used them before and you don't necessarily need to buy every single superfood out there, you can certainly leave out the superfood suggestions for many of the recipes and still end up with a vibrant and nutritious drink. Some of the superfoods can be expensive but a bit goes a long way. Julie provides excellent information on each superfood, how, where and what form to buy, benefits, serving size and substitutions.
I got this book on a Saturday and on the next day I basically ended up doing a smoothie day, each recipe I tried was so delicious, so full of flavor and was packed with so many nutrients that I kept wanting to try more recipes :-) Everything I've tried so far was absolutely amazing, really love this book, there are combinations of ingredients that I would have never though of after so many years making smoothies.
** Update: Yesterday I started to explore one of the chapters called superfood shots,they are small, highly condensed smoothies, what a fantastic idea! Yesterday I had one called 'Stress recovery', there is one for energy boost, one for fighting cold... Really interesting ideas!
77 comments| 293 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 25, 2016
This book is changing my life! I have purchased 3 copies. My first copy was a couple of years ago, two more recently for friends. I finally dove head first into it a few months ago. Yes, there is the initial purchase of new and unfamiliar but exciting ingredients. BTW - all the more unusual ingredients can be found right here on Amazon. Yes, you have to make coconut water ice, almond milk ice, bags of frozen bananas and bags of frozen spinach, but once you get a rhythm going, there is no going back. Believe me, it is worth the effort and it actually does not take that much time. My beau and I have a smoothie for breakfast 5 days a week and one for dinner 7 days a week. My initial interest in the book was nutrition and the health benefits of all the superfoods, but it turns out we are both loosing weight, which is something we have been trying to do. Also, this is totally curbing my sweet tooth. Having smoothies like Mint Chip and Cookie Dough are doing the trick and for that I am GRATEFUL! I love that the sweetness is from dates, bananas, mulberries and maple syrup. I have my favorites and have been adding in a few new ones every few weeks. This book is also great if you are looking for an anti-inflammatory diet.
on April 5, 2015
I'm eating much healthier now that we have this book! I used to get tired of smoothies so quickly because they were always the same, but this book has so much variety that we can pick a new smoothie everyday! It took a little bit of effort and money to stock our pantry with new ingredients at first, but the superfoods (acai, camu, lucuma, gogi...) last a long time and add so much yummy flavor to the smoothies. Each week we pick out 3-4 smoothies for the week and make sure we have all the ingredients when we go shopping- it is nice to know we are getting a nutrition-packed meal at least once a day! I suggest this book to friends all the time (hint- we prefer it on the iPad so we can search for certain fruits with the search function if we wanted to find something particular i.e. "I'm feeling like a strawberry smoothie...")

Pictured below: Orange Gogi, ingredients for a Strawberry smoothie, and the infamous Cookie Dough!
review imagereview imagereview image
0Comment| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 8, 2016
This book has seriously changed my life. It is packed with GREAT smoothie recipes that not only taste amazingly good but are also good for you. I did not know ANYTHING about a lot of the ingredients in this book. I read, I researched and I decided to give it a go. Between Amazon and Thrive Market I was able to stock my kitchen with these exotic powders I have never heard of (Whole Foods had them but they were A LOT more $$ there) I stored all these powders, seeds and dried berries in large mason jars. I bought fruits, berries of all sorts, pineapples, bananas, kiwis, papaya,plums.. I also never knew I could freeze all these fruits, it is certainly handy to have your fruits frozen so you're not force to eat them immediately. I made flavored ice like the book recommends and it's always available and ready to go in your freezer. I usually make one smoothie in the morning and have it as breakfast on my way to work. All the smoothies in this book (At least the dozen or so I've tried so far) are incredibly energizing and FILLING, making them a perfect replacement for breakfast or lunch. A great book that has become a staple in my kitchen.
on June 17, 2013
I just can not say enough great things about this book! I bought this because it serves a lot of my dietary goals--raw, vegan, healthy. I want to get more fruits, veggies, nuts, and seeds into my 9 year old daughter. We also have a 91 year old to take care of that has problems eating (difficulty swallowing & digesting, low appetite, sensitive to strong flavors, etc etc.) So making the healthiest smoothies possible is a perfect solution for all this. You are feeding your family top nutrition foods, it's quick and easy to prepare, they go down easy, and you can sneak in all kinds of things that you might otherwise be clueless about how to serve. We also live in hot AZ and a cool smoothie is always nice.

So far we have tried the Creamy Orange, Mint Chip, and Cookie Dough smoothies. I can not believe how Delicious (yes with a capital D!) the Mint Chip smoothie was!! I never thought of spinach beyond a salad/soup/sandwich ingredient. We had the Mint Chip smoothie for breakfast this morning. It was so refreshing and satisfying, and I was quite proud of myself that I served my kid spinach and banana, cashews and super-healthy cacao for breakfast! Wow wow wow. We also (we being me, the kid, the husband) liked the Cookie Dough smoothie too. It is so sweet and yummy, dessert-like, but guess what's in it! Pecans, dates, cacao, a pear, coconut water... I like that there are never any unhealthy ingredients used to make the healthy stuff taste better. It's ALL healthy. Julie uses coconut ice (pour coconut water into ice cube molds) a lot to sweeten and chill things. And cacao (pure, raw chocolate) is also healthy for you. When most people think of chocolate, they think of candy bars, cake frosting, ice cream. But cacao is the natural, original state of chocolate before all the junky additives like sugar and dairy. And in its raw form, it is VERY good for you. All I know is it makes you feel like you're eating dessert. Without the guilt.

As for the book itself, it is full of excellent photos of the smoothies that really make you want to try the recipes. The author has some (4-5?) pictures of herself through the book which i appreciate--I admire her beautiful, glowing skin and hair and point out to my daughter that the author looks so pretty because she eats healthy (hey whatever works to motivate your kids!) I appreciate though, that she did not overdo it including photos of herself as other health food "gurus" have done in their cookbooks. I appreciate SOME pics of the author, but the focus should be on the food, you know?

There are tons of tips, advice and information on the ingredients, where and how to shop for them, how to make the smoothies, key symbols to show you the different benefits of each one (high in protein, heart health, bone health, beauty benefits, etc)

I will be gifting this book to friends who are health-conscious. I have seen some reviewers criticize this book for the "difficult to find" ingredients and really do not understand the problem there. If you are already shopping for cookbooks online, then you can order ingredients online. I ordered the camu powder from Amazon, same place i bought this book. I can easily order the cacao nibs, hemp seeds, goji berries, maca powder, etc here too, or any other of the numerous online retailers that offer it (sources listed in the back of the book).

This book is extremely user friendly and has a supportive, positive tone. She has a start-simple approach. No need to go out and spend a ton of money on superfoods all at once. Buy a few new ingredients and start with those, which is exactly what I am doing. This book is just FUN. I am so excited to keep trying all these crazy ideas that work so well and make me feel so good. Next up is the chocolate smoothie that calls for 3 cups of steamed cauliflower. Never thought of using cauliflower in a smoothie, but if anyone can pull it off, Julie Morris can!
0Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 23, 2016
This book was a present for my boyfriend at Christmas. It made a great small present to go with the blender I got him. He uses it fairly often.. The book has a nice dust cover on it and came well packaged. It is a hardcover, sturdy book. I so often have the problem of recipe books falling apart fairly quickly, because of all the attention those books get. I also bought it at a really good price! It has a lot of good information on the basics of smoothie making, as well as, a bunch of yummy recipes! This is a vegan recipe book so there are no milk or meat products used in any of the recipes. Some of the recipes call for ingredients that the normal kitchen does not have such as acai powder, sea buckthorn juice, etc. However, the author lists everyday substitutions for most of the ingredients and lists online sources for all of the unusual products. VERY HANDY, I found the recipes different and interesting. The Mint Chip smoothie is my favorite! Here is the recipe to give you an example.
Mint Chip Smoothie Recipe:
Makes 2 18-ounce servings
2 cups frozen spinach
2 cups frozen bananas
1⁄4 cup raw cashews
3 tablespoons cacao nibs
2 tablespoons (packed) fresh mint leaves, minced
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups rice milk (original variety)
1⁄2 cup coconut water
sweetener, to taste (optional)
Blend all the ingredients together until smooth. Taste, and sweeten
as desired.
But do not stop there, there are so many wonderful, healthy smoothie recipes in this book and I still haven't gotten a chance to try them all. Very creative recipes. Wonderful resource, would highly recommend to anyone.
review imagereview imagereview image
on September 27, 2017
I surfed the web for non-sugary smoothie recipes, and came across this book (yay), and am making a concentrated effort to learn its content (which is easy to do, as that it goes quickly, which is what I like about it). I started at the beginning of the book and learned under Smoothie Basics that frozen veggies are great to use as that cold temperatures reduce our sensitivity to flavors. I enjoyed reading about each of the recommended 15 super foods and jotted some notes as to which new ingredients I would want to try (and why). I feel that I get enough antioxidants from my current diet so I was game to try super foods with other benefits. I am experimenting with maca (both the 'plain' and 'chai' version), and just with almond milk for tea, that earthy flavor is hard for me to start liking. However, Chocolate (recipe on pg 159) was out-of-this-world yummy and featured 2 teaspoons of maca powder, so I definitely recommend that recipe. Next I'll try Cacao Cream and Cacao Mocha. While buying cacao nibs, the clerk mentioned how having something to chew in smoothies creates satisfaction, and that definitely has been a benefit of the nibs (which I hadn't tried before buying this book). I picked-up a tub of organic dates from Costco. And Costco now carries organic cacao powder (in CO); they also have Acai juice in the refrigerated section and packets ($1/each) in the frozen section (though other ingredients such as sugar are added to both versions). I'll have to buy hemp protein. I actually froze a half of an avocado (as that I didn't want to throw it out) and look forward to trying that in one of Julie's recipes. My approach to using this book will be to find an ingredient such as maca and then check that index for recipes with it. I have perused other online reviews to find favorite recipes from this book, too. Also, this book seems to incorporate all sorts of ingredients from your pantry such as pumpkin puree; there's a lot of opportunity for creativity and since it's just making a smoothie, this endeavor in opening-up my diet can't be too complicated (which I like).
on March 20, 2015
Be prepared to spend some money and time on the recipes in this book. Also be prepared to have the best tasting and healthiest smoothies you have ever experienced. It is true that many costly (and mail ordered) ingredients are recommended; Camu, Maca, Maqui Berry powders, chlorella, wheatgrass, and lucuma powders are variously used to up the healthiness of the ingredients. Many seeds and nuts are also used that you might not have on hand (chia, hemp, raw cashews). Sugar is not used though you can cheat with other sweeteners if you want. You actually don't need them. And it helps to have a powerful blender as many of the fruits are pulverized in a frozen state. Your blender will need to be able to handle ice cubes as they are also an ingredient. As far as time goes, many recipes require prior prep, such as making coconut water ice cubes or freezing bananas. There are no calorie or nutritional breakdowns, so you could overdo it if you don't pay attention. However, these cons are minor in comparison to the taste and superfood additions. These taste great and are good for you! My favorite so far is the Key Lime smoothie. It requires discipline to stop with just one. The many varieties of smoothie in these pages will keep you from burning out on one flavor. I think this book is a good investment that will keep you happy for a long time.