Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Shop Popular Services Moonlight Moonlight Moonlight  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 23 reviews
on November 19, 2016
Good graphic novel. Art was good.... not great... but good. Some of the inking seemed kind of rushed and sloppy. Especially when you look at the faces. The eyes art often slightly off center and the faces are lopsided. Like the artist was thinking while he was drawing (OK. This is "good enough"). The thing is, you can tell the artist has some skills, but the mistakes happen way too often, and it just seems like lazy work. As for the coloring work, the best way I can describe it is a little boring and (I hate to be repetitive) lazy. But it may have been a case of trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Thinking about it further, I realize that artwork looks like someone who's used to drawing an old-school black and white comic series. There's crosshatching in places to darken panels that a comic book writer who's used to working in color would never draw. Maybe an 7.5 on a scale of one to ten when it comes to the artwork.

In general, the writing was much better than the artwork. The concept of people creating, or looking for, beings to virtually worship or act as a representation of that country's beliefs was VERY interesting. However, the appearance of a creature that looked like C'thulu (you'll know it when you see it) was.... silly. There was no reason for it. It wasn't just forced... it was plain stupid. Most of the other characters seemed to represent something. The giant C'thulu monsters? That made no sense.

Don't get me wrong, the vast majority of the writing was excellent. Especially if you get the references: Quatermass, The Six Million Dollar Man and so forth (However, the Lovecraft one was a huge blunder, and frankly kind of dumb, despite the fact that I like most of Lovecraft's writings). It made a scene that should have been horrific into one that was ridiculous.

I will say that the delusional world that the character Jerry Craven lives in is a pretty disturbing method of controlling him. I won't give any more detail than that since it would a bit of a spoiler. The writer REALLY should have spent some time focusing on that. It was really glossed over and I think that was a huge mistake.

Is this book worth buying? Yes. It was very good, but it should have been great. Ironically, I think this comic would make a GREAT movie or mini-series.

Just no giant C'thulu monster. Let's not be silly, now.
on April 22, 2016
I absolutely love this book.

A truly terrifying look into human nature, this story explores the ramifications of creating man-made Gods. Almost everything in this story is symbolic or an allegory, causing many less knowledgeable readers to dismiss it. The imagery is horrifying, which matches the theme of the story perfectly. As it is only 4 issues the story is very fast-paced; this is one you could easily finish in a couple hours. If you are a deep thinker and feel like diving off the deep end of the darkness of human nature, this is the book for you!
on January 15, 2014
Supergod is, quite simply, frustrating. It has an incredibly interesting premise, but is hampered with flaws. The story has your typical "Ellis-isms", especially considering the protagonist. The idea of a superhuman arms races gone awry is a fascinating one, but ultimately has no pay off. Beyond that point, the biggest flaw has to be the pacing. The protagonist jumps back and forth through time, recounting events in a fashion that isn't conductive to storytelling. Overall, I don't think I can recommend this book unless you can purchase it at a discounted price.
on February 9, 2012
I read some sketchy reviews about this book. I was a little nervous to buy it but I am glad I did. Ellis delivers the goods with superb artwork to backup his unique storytelling. Near the end it felt like an episode of the super best friends. Perhaps that was the only problem I found. It was very deux ex machina, a sort of hasty wrap up and clearing out of all the major players. We never really get to go inside the heads of the Gods. Maybe that's a good thing, we don't have to try to find the rationalization.

The other books I've read from Ellis recently: Black Summer and No Hero really makes me think he's trying to find his "watchmen" project.
on June 9, 2014
If you're a fan of writer Warren Ellis or perhaps just intrigued by the cover, take a look. Very very much a dystopian book. If you're looking for a happy feel-good ending with the main character riding a horse into the sunset, this book is not for you.
on March 21, 2012
There are a lot of over-hyped comic book writers, people like Mark Millar and Brian Michael Bendis get the mainstream plaudits and publicity. But Warren Ellis is the real deal. A writer for the fans, who has an imagination that surpasses anything the rest of us could conjure up.

That's what this book is about, the fantastic come to life. Sure, the book is more cynical than I would like, and maybe I'd like more issues and some happy resolution. But that's why I'm not a comic book writer, and we're all better for it that we have Ellis, instead.

A great title not tied to any comic book company, franchise, or tired comic book meme. I can pretty much guarantee HBO and Dreamworks won't be demanding this be filmed. But you owe it to yourself to read Supergod and see the world through larger eyes. None of us have cosmic insight like the creatures in this book, but a certain writer comes close. Come journey with him!
on September 15, 2015
Absolutely perfect.
on December 2, 2012
Great story and great art! Ordered based on an Amazon suggestion and it was a great quick read. Went back and reread it and there was even more the second time.
on November 19, 2013
Ellis pulls it off again. This is insanely sane. It's unthinkable and yet the whole idea of governments working on "superhuman" projects that will go wrong and end up destroying the world is probably real enough to be something to get people worrying that it could happen.

The art is great, the ideas are original and it doesn't pull any punches.

At first I thought the way of telling the story was kind of lame but it grew on me and the guy telling the story was hilarious.
on April 23, 2012
its a cool concept but a poor delivery. basically we create superhuman gods and havok unfolds. had this been a MUCH larger book consisting of hundreds of pages it would have been outstanding. as is it seems like a shortened rough draft. much better books to spend your money on. in fact id kind of like my money back.