- File Size: 325 KB
- Print Length: 89 pages
- Publisher: Carina Press (August 20, 2012)
- Publication Date: August 20, 2012
- Sold by: Harlequin Digital Sales Corp.
- Language: English
- ASIN: B0088NH2J8
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #876,788 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Harlequin Digital Sales Corp.
Price set by seller.
The Superheroes Union: Dynama Kindle Edition
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
I'm also not really a fan of romances that deal with nasty divorces in the past or with current children as strong elements to moving the plot along, and it turns out those were both unadvertised (or unnoticed - I may have been distracted by other points in the back copy) and very central to both the romance plot and the framing plot. Given enough pages and a writer who really makes me care about the protagonists, I can enjoy those themes (I realize some of my favorite novel-length fanfic recently incorporates them), but this was not one of those times.
I did like a lot of what Diaz was trying to do, and enjoyed the superhero storyline a lot, but I just wish she had more like 300 pages to do it in instead of 89. The setting was really fun and a neat Alternate Universe where superheroes exist, though some of the pop culture references were a bit disconcerting. I also liked that TJ is bisexual, and the whole sexuality thing for her and Annamarie isn't a big deal. It's nice to see that become more commonplace.
I received a free copy from the author for an honest review at The Lesbian Review.
What I loved most about the tale is the fact that Diaz doesn't try to recreate the feel of a superhero comic book adventure. Hers is very much a story of people, emotions, relationships, and (most importantly) consequences. She looks at the very human awkwardness of a messy divorce, and the equally human awkwardness of a new relationship, all within the context of a world where superpowers are a fact of life, not a driving force. There's are no grand schemes of world domination to thwart, just relationships to be resolved or mended.
TJ/Dynama is a wonderfully complex character, one who makes you believe that a woman can be a wife, a mother, and a superhero all rolled into one. She's neither perfect nor infallible, and makes the same bad kind of decisions any of us could make. As for Annemarie, the first word that comes to mind when I think of her is 'cute'. She is just such an adorable character, she actually comes across as less authentic than her superpowered lover, which may not have been an intentional twist, but one that I enjoyed.
Overall, this was a quick, fun, feel-good read, and one with a happy ending that still leaves room for more stories in Diaz's world.
Most recent customer reviews
This was more than just an okay read. That said, it stumbled on a trope that it didn't need and, without it, it could've been better.Read more
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Gay & Lesbian > Literature & Fiction > Fiction > Lesbian
- Books > Romance > Fantasy
- Books > Romance > Lesbian Romance
- Books > Romance > Multicultural
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Superheroes
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > LGBT
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Romance
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > LGBT > Lesbian Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > LGBT > Bisexual Romance
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > LGBT > Lesbian Romance
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Multicultural & Interracial
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Science Fiction