Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 425 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 918 reviews
on September 16, 2014
I still have yet to get through all the extras but had to watch the extended version which includes a nice moment between Kal-el and his father following the first apperance of Superman. I love the selection of bonus footage including the audtion tapes for Lois Lane. It will be obvious to one and all the Margot Kidder was the right choice. I would like to know who else was up for any of the other parts. I cannot imagine a better Lex Luthor than Gene Hacknman (even if he is as threatening as Pee Wee Herman) but this was never intended (at least I believe) to be seen as a "real" world. We can sort of chuckle now at some of the corny lines Christopher Reeves delivers but he seemed truer to the comic book Superman than this modern re-imaginings where the fun of the character has been systematically squeezed out. Superman is a square and should remain that way. I guess he might be considered the straight man in this universe. I have yet to get to the George Reeve Superman meets the Mole Men. It is very short and runs just under a hour. I thought it was a feature length film released in theaters but it was probably bulked up by cartoons, news reel footage, etc. I have already seen a few of the magnificent Max Fleisher Superman carttons. The storys are silly but the animation (even though it is done by roto-scoping) is pretty spectacular. As soon as though first few notes of the Superman theme swell on the soundtrack I am fourteen years old age in '78 sitting in a dark movie theater anticipating the images to come and the tagline promise: YOU WILL BELIEVE A MAN CAN FLY. Goosebumps.
66 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2016
I'm so grateful to Christopher Reeve for playing his role with seriousness and integrity instead of making fun of it. That set the
tone for the whole production--actors, scenery, special effects, artistic creativity, and especially John William's music--to regale us with
a powerful, optimistic, thrilling story that lives deep in our subconscious,and which most of us would love to be true.
And there's a charming memory I have regarding the movie I'd like to share. Back in the late 70's, while walking East on 42nd
Street on my way home after work, there was a huge crowd milling between 2nd and 3rd Ave. Everybody was looking up and
shouting, and there, on top of the Daily News Building, all brilliantly lit up, was a helicopter perched precariously on the edge of the roof! It was very frightening! I never heard another thing about the event. And then, the next year, the movie, Superman came out,
and there it was!
on March 24, 2014
I'm glad to get this four disc edition of Superman. I've loved Superman since I was a kid watching George Reeves when I was still in my single-digits (I'm 62 now) and loved the coincidence of Reeves and Reeve playing the same role. I'm even enjoying the old 1940's radio show with Bud Collyer as Superman (see [...] for many episodes).

I'm glad to see that we have two different versions of the movie, the 1978 theatrical and the 2000 expanded edition. (I hope the latter includes many of the scenes that were added for the expanded TV version of the movie (which I used to have on video tape until my sister threw out all my tapes thinking they were only worth a dime each)

Mostly, today, I'm satisfied watching movies with free streaming from Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc., but for movies like Superman, I have to have my own copy. I don't know how many times I've watched my earlier versions of the movie, but I will be watching this set multiple more times.

John
on February 4, 2013
It has been thirty-five years since the late Christopher Reeve first soared across movie screens as the legendary Man of Steel. But it doesn't really seem all that long ago, at least not when viewers first see Superman in costume at the Fortress of Solitude as he flies toward the camera and makes a remarkable banking turn in front of our eyes. In my opinion, Reeve remains the only actor who can make one believe that Superman truly lives; it will forever be his legacy to moviegoers that a godlike super-hero could be fully realized as a personable human being that anyone could easily relate to. Sure, the passage of time hasn't been kind to the film's badly outdated costumes, but, otherwise, "Superman: The Movie" still outclasses virtually any film in its genre. It is pretty impressive that director Richard Donner and his production crew could conjure a totally believable Superman without the benefit of modern CGI and still make an appealing film for a wide spectrum of viewers. Specifically, Donner's film proves that graphic violence, excessive profanity, and explicit content are not required for an entertaining movie experience.

With the classy opening sequence of a young boy flipping open an issue of "Action Comics," as the camera then pans up into the sky towards the majestic darkness of deep space, composer John Williams' timeless theme sparks the imagination that something truly special is about to happen. Director Richard Donner, with the aid of among others, script doctor Tom Mankiewicz, and an excellent ensemble cast, brings the "Superman" world to real life and establishes a common path for other big-budget super heroes Batman, Spider-Man, the X-Men, and the Avengers to follow by utilizing a first-class script and talented actors who are not ashamed to wear flashy spandex.

The film simplistically is a three-part play: the Krypton sequence (with Marlon Brando as Jor-El); Smallville (with Glenn Ford as Jonathan Kent); and Metropolis (with Margot Kidder as Lois Lane; Jackie Cooper as Perry White; Marc McClure as Jimmy Olsen; and, of course, Gene Hackman, as a delightfully sinister Lex Luthor). New to the storyline are Lex's two groupies: bumbling Otis (Ned Beatty) and sultry Eve Teschmacher (Valerie Perrine), who help Hackman's egotistical Lex (as he calls himself, "The greatest criminal mind of our time," and "fiendishly gifted,") add a wonderful element of tongue-in-cheek humor. Case in point: watch an annoyed Lex's reaction to Otis having scribbled his own proposed little town ("Otisberg?," "Otisberg?") on to the scheming villain's idealized map of what California will look like after it is hit by a nuclear missile. Also, Donner cleverly plants the seed for an inevitable sequel at the beginning rather than at the end with cameos by three Krypton super-villains (General Zod, Ursa, and Non). By vowing that even Jor-El's heirs will one day kneel before him, the tyrannical Zod (Terrence Stamp) instantly becomes a classic movie villain ... with only a few moments of screen time.

Lastly, I will address the film's ending, as there is a legitimate cause for criticism. After nearly two and a half hours of leisurely-paced, first class entertainment (including the breathtaking Superman & Lois "first date" flying sequence), the script resorts to a time travel gimmick to help resolve the finale. Although originally intended for "Superman II," as according to Donner, the idea makes Superman look unbeatable if he can alter history to his liking at will. However, Reeve's anguished facial reactions make this plot twist work as viewers are reminded by voice-overs of Superman's past with his two fathers, and exactly why he chooses emotion over cosmic responsibility. The ending should be taken as a leap of faith that even the Man of Steel sometimes has to find a way to beat impossible odds. Still, my favorite moment comes just before the closing credits with Superman's confident fly-by in space over Earth signaling that he will be back for further adventures ensuring our world is in safe hands. Backed by the opening bars of Superman's theme, Reeve accomplishes a most satisfying farewell without saying a word.

Even today, whenever I ponder horrific tragedies reported by the news media, I still visualize Christopher Reeve's Superman flying out of seemingly nowhere to rescue Margot Kidder's Lois Lane from certain death dangling from a wrecked helicopter from the roof of the Daily Planet. It reminds me that real-life heroism isn't a comic book; it is really about being there unselfishly when others are in need.

Rating: 10/10. The blu-ray and DVD special features offer a treasure trove for fans, including music cues; screen tests; trailers; and some insightful documentaries, which are well worth your spare time.
on May 27, 2017
For me...this will always be the definitive Superman movie. Christopher Reeve, may he rest in peace, is Superman. He'll always be Superman to several generations now and into the future. And although some of the effects are noticeably dated, one cannot but be awed by the cinematography, especially in the early farm scenes in Smallville. Beautifully shot with majestic landscapes, you truly have to appreciate something with such scope from a superhero film made in the 1970s. Although the budget ballooned, you can really see the amount of love and detail put into this movie. It still holds up to the test of time. Witty banter, excellent chemistry between Christopher, Margot and Gene. The rockets still look believable and Lois' tragic fate still scares the crap outta me. I simply have to give this movie a watch every year. Nothing will ever come close to John Williams original score as well. Richard Donner's name as well as the talented crew behind this movie will always go down as being ahead of their time. Simply incredible.
review image
on December 28, 2013
Superman has been on screen for many, many decades. Every generation has an actor they see as 'their' Superman. For many Christopher Reeve is that icon. While truthfully only the first two movies are good, he remained that icon for quite sometime. There are things about this movie that have become dated and maybe even a little campy, but when it comes to a character like Superman there are always those risks. This is the first Superman movie I ever saw, and though it was before my time, it was the Superman I identified with. Needless to say this movie and this role immortalized Chris Reeve and forever made him a legend.
on March 2, 2014
The only true American comic book movie! Epic! Occasionally the film shows its age, but it still makes me a little misty eyed when Christopher Reeve, along with the amazing crew; really makes us believe that he CAN fly and that he IS Superman! I love comic book movies. I love to see my heroes onscreen. But, I dare any comic book movie to match what was done in this film. Many have tried. ALL have failed! Superman Returns and Man of Steel tried (Man of Steel tried hard esp. in the supporting cast), but fell short. CGI makes Superman fly and I'm just not convinced of it. I don't feel that sense of wonder with the new movies and I doubt I ever will. And I'm not just a 40 year old fogey either. My 2 teens say Reeves performances; even in the inferior 3 and 4 are better than Routh and Cavill. It's not to say we won't go to see new movies. Its just that for most of my generation, there's always going to be a little disappointment, a little less conviction in CGI and a little sadness when we think about Chris and it does detract from new movies. CG has no heart and the true love is found in the work put out in this classic. This movie stands alone
on May 4, 2014
I bought this back in 2006 on DVD - it looked "OK". On Blu-Ray its very sharp, good color rendition, no visible grain on my 60" plasma from 11 ft distance from screen. Sound is Dolby 5.1 or Dolby stereo. Dolby 5.1 soundtrack had sufficient oomph for the movie. Dialog is clear. The big scene at the start when Krypton self-destructs is pretty impressive. I remember when I first saw this roughly 35 years ago in a giant screen theater in Portland. I was agog, it was so well done. I was digesting the impact of this movie for a couple days. Some aspects of it are a bit dated now but the basic story is still pretty powerful. Superman would do anything to save his girl and in that moment he becomes very human.
on July 7, 2013
Richard Donner's Superman resonates with me like no other superhero film. I was 10 years old when I first saw Superman: the movie. It's a FUN movie, filled with instantly accessible and likeable characters. Clark Kent is the product of his powerful and wise Krypton heritage, and his innocent, character-filled Midwestern adoptive parents. He has god-like powers, but has a humility that grounds him in the most admirable of ways. His Kryptonian father has sent him to Earth with presumably all the knowledge and wisdom of the Kryptonian civilization encoded in crystals. All of this power and knowledge Clark uses to protect and inspire the people of his new home on Earth. Of all Superman's powers the thing that resonated most with me was a statement he made in a conversation with Lois Lane. He said he stood for truth, justice and the American way. Lois, then joked that he would be fighting every politician in Washington, but then comes the kicker, Clark responds, 'Lois, I never lie.' That's something I can do!! I thought. I can be like Superman by always telling the truth! This is something that has never left me after all these years. What a beautiful thing for a film to affirm and inspire virtue in children and adults alike. Of course there is the perfectly diabolical and yet hillarious portrayal of Lex Luthor by the incomparable Gene Hackman, along with his henchmen, Otis, and Miss Tessmacher. Everyone in the film, right down to the extras was wonderful. The effects, well, I still love to watch the opening credits, and there are moments where the flying really seems to work, and there are others where it doesn't. The set design borders on spectacular at times. Effects in a film are important for bringing the audience into the story, while lapses can cause us to momentarily disengage, but great effects never of themselves make a film memorable. There is so much to love about this film that it's easy for me to lovingly overlook any technological shortcomings. Perhaps someday it will be possible to improve those sequences where the effects kill the illusion. Some moments in the visuals aside, Superman in a nearly perfect movie, that I highly recommend to anyone.
The 2000 edition of the movie should be enough for me. The difference between this latter version and the 1978 version is only a few minutes, but I always watch the longer version. The additional stuff on the making of this movie is great. I do consider the TV episode on Superman quite boring ( we can't see him fly) and its Clark Kent isn't clumsy or shy either. I do enjoy over and over the cartoon episodes from the 1940s, which have great quality artwork and action-packed plots. Of course, they follow the same plot structure: Lois Lane gets in trouble and Superman saves her, but each episode is fun to watch, and they are in good condition. There is only one episode that seems to need some restoration in a few of its scenes. Also, considering the price offered for this collection, you get a lot out of it, even though it's only about one movie.