Superman II (Two-Disc Special Edition)
|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Superman II: Special Edition (Dbl DVD)
"I thought the original Superman was terrific entertainment," the Chicago Sun-Times' Roger Ebert wrote, "and so I was a little startled to discover that I liked Superman II even more." Unwittingly released from Phantom Zone imprisonment, three super-powered Kryptonian criminals (Terence Stamp, Sarah Douglas and Jack O'Halloran) plan to enslave Earth - just when Superman (Christopher Reeve) decides to show a more romantic side to Lois Lane (Margot Kidder). Gene Hackman (as Lex Luthor) also returns from the first film and with a top supporting cast, witty Richard Lester direction and visuals that astound and delight, Superman II saves the day any day you watch it!]]>
- The original theatrical cut of the film
- Commentary by executive producer Ilya Salkind and producer Pierre Spengler
- Theatrical trailer
- Vintage TV specials "The Making of Superman II" and "Superman 50th Anniversary"
- New featurette "First Flight: The Fleischer Superman Series"
- Eight famous studios Superman cartoons mastered from superior vault elements: Japoteurs, Showdown, Eleventh Hour, Destruction Inc., The Mummy Strikes, Jungle Drums, The Underground World, Secret Agent
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top customer reviews
The picture and sound quality of this Blu-ray DVD is outstanding. This DVD played just fine in my Blu-ray player, despite it being an import from France (speaking of which, the back cover contains French-language text).
Note: This is the original theatrical version of Superman II, which was mostly directed by Richard Lester not Richard Donner.
THOUGHTS: I suppose it's because this is the version I grew up with that I prefer it over the "restored" version that surfaced a few years back. The film is fun and exciting, regardless of which version you prefer, but you can clearly see that the series was already trending towards a more light-hearted slant. This regrettable decision on the part of the producers sadly went full bore bonkers with the terrible idea of teaming poor Christopher Reeve with Richard Pryor in the third installment. Ack.
THE DVD: The video & audio are good here and everything looks and sounds as it should. If you're a big Supes fan and have a Blu-ray player then skip the DVD version and upgrade to hi-def. Better picture, better sound, better everything. Otherwise, I advise saving yourself a few bucks and buying a used copy.
I also enjoyed very much in this two-disc edition the Flescher series of Superman. I didn't know that these existed. These episodes are from the 40s and from the post Pearl Harbor attack. Most of them make direct references to WWII. These shorts are done in noirish style. The stories are told with simplicity. Lois Lane is always getting in trouble through her journalistic investigations and Superman is always rescuing her. The soundtrack used for these cartoons is also great to build tension.
This was a good edition.
Most recent customer reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Animation
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > Special Editions
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Military & War
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Animation
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials