Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now FFII_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 156 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 203 reviews
on March 1, 2017
Supermodel is FTP's best entry to date. Darker and more adventurous than Torches, but somehow just as catchy and invasive. Alternative Pop at it's finest!

I've already owned a few copies of the cd, but finally buckled down for an lp copy, and can't say I regret it! Paid $16 with shipping, the album is 180g and wonderfully rich sounding, came with Autorip and a download card for me to pass on to a friend. Great buy for great music that plenty of other reviewers have gone into further detail about. If you collect vinyl and enjoy the band, buy it. Worth every cent.

For fans of; MGMT, Passion Pit, Porcelain Raft

Choice Jams; Ask Yourself, Pseudologica Fantastica, Best Friend (đź’•), The Truth
on March 19, 2014
It's easy to be nervous about the second album of a band that you really like, but have no fear!

FTP seems to be branching out and trying new sounds and new subject matter. There's a lot of new types of instrumentation that we didn't hear on Torches, heavier guitar in Beginner's Guide, soft mellow acoustics in Fire escape, but there is still the groovy peppy upbeat stuff spread around in the album. Mark Foster hits some uncharacteristic low notes and even evokes a little Bowie in places, but he still sounds like Mark Foster.

Torches was an amazing album, but I'm really glad that there's some new stuff in here. Even as awesome as the last album was it's nice to have some new material that stands out a little. Really love A Beginner's Guide to Destroying the Moon. Killer album all around.

UPDATE (3-25-14):
Been listening to this album for the last few days. It is still amazing, but there might be a small downside that I can see, and that I've also made provisions for. FTP is trying out new stuff in Supermodel, and personally I think that they could easily be successful with any one or maybe several of their new directions. Already it makes me want more of each new direction they are exploring to flesh out and fully satisfy these new cravings.

My solution right now is to put Supermodel and Torches as well as some of the miscellaneous singles and bonus tracks, etc, into one playlist and put it on random. Since I can't have a big 'ol pile of this great new stuff I want to feast on, it does very well as the everything-on-it type of arrangement for a Torches based pizza.
on October 1, 2014
This is one of a very few albums that I can honestly say I liked every song from beginning to end on the first play-through. Although I can now say the same for Torches, the anthems on this album touched something at a deeper level. It is about time that a modern band returned to the concept album. Back in the day, the album was put together like a novel with each song serving as the chapters. Mark Foster and FTP has 're-captured that spirit with their first two endeavors.

As far as a breakdown, the first three tracks absolutely transformed me to another dimension. I would categorize the tracks into basically three tiers: Off the Charts: "Are You What You Want To Be," "Ask Yourself," "Coming of Age," "Pseudologia Fantastica," and "Best Friend." Outstanding: "A Beginners Guide to the Moon," "Goats in Trees," and "The Truth. Awesome Acoustic: "Nevermind," and "Fire Escape." "The Angelic Welcome of Mr. Jones" is more or less a 33 second a capella bridge between the 5th & 7th tracks. (I wonder if Mr. Jones is the infamous Davy Jones who died February 2012). If you listen closely, you will easily detect many of Foster' s musical influences in Supermodel, most notably The Beach Boys, The Beatles, and David Bowie. (Does anybody else hear echoes of "I am the Walrus" when you listen to "Pseudologia Fantastica"?)
on January 10, 2015
A superb sophomore effort from Foster the People

This is an excellent, excellent album and represents a broadening of the Foster the People's earlier, rawer work.

One can hear the difference in better, well implemented production than their first album although much of the raw, visceral feeling is still there.

If one is not familiar with Foster the People's work, other than their great and massively popular "Pumped up Kicks," then they would be unaware of their electronica influences - which remain very evident in this second album. I would describe the music in this album as rock that is very influenced by electronica and eighties and early nineties music. This is most evident in the outstanding "Coming of Age."

The other singles from this album are excellent, in particular "Best Friend" and "Pseudologica Fantastica."

An excellent follow up to their first album which was incredibly difficult but is present here.
on April 27, 2014
I thought Torches was a phenomenal CD; I, however, am incredibly partial to this CD. I am absolutely impressed by these boys with this album, it is a work of art from the first to last song.

What sticks out most to me is the song-writing. Perhaps I am particularly in love with this album because many of the lyrics are geared toward introspection and evaluating one's life. As I mentioned in the title, a very mature turn from Torches. Mark Foster has always proven he is a gifted song writer but the topic on this album is deep, aware, and modest. Already within the first four songs on this album the following statements are made, respectively: "These things ask the biggest question to me and it's: Are you what you want to be?", "Is this the life you've been waiting for? You're hoping that you'll be where you want with a little more."," When my fear pulls me out to sea and the stars are hidden by my pride and my enemies, I seem to hurt the people that care the most.", and "It's hard to know the truth in this post-modernist view where absolutes are seen as relics and laughed out of the room."

The lyrics aren't the only element that feel matured. As others have stated, you hear more guitar and integration of other instruments and less of the synth-sound that Torches had a lot of. And as always, Mark Foster's vocal range shines throughout the album.

Their first single off the album, "Coming of Age" is an honest indicator of what this album holds. If you're a fan of it, you'll love this album. If you're on the fence about it, well, I would recommend you give it a try anyway. This CD is one of the greats.
on May 18, 2014
Foster the People fans know what I mean by my title. Their albums are insanely clever and their sound pumps out (pun intended lol) catchy tune after catchy tune. Torches was amazing and was stuck in my car cd player for weeks on end. This new album has been same and Supermodel is similar in sound and energy but sends a deeper message than their first album Torches. I listened to a more matured Mark Fosters on a radio interview through my local independent radio station WXPN out of University of PA about 2 weeks before I bought this album. He explains the meaning behind it and he sheds light on some issues I have been thinking of myself. So, I was curious to hear his new album that relates to his current way of thinking. It is great to know some background on an album before you dive in so you can emotionally connect with the music and artist. In short, this album is high energy but has some seriously good slow tunes and Mark really belts out some heartfelt lyrics. Usually, I am not a fan of slower acoustic songs there is one maybe 2 of them on this album and I actually really like them...I have yet to find a Foster the People tune I don't like. They make me smile and dance and they are one of the best musicians to come out of our generation.
on March 26, 2014
Got the opportunity to listen to this album for the 3rd time yesterday on a quick road trip (on my way to the Tool concert!). I've got to say, I am extremely impressed. Torches was a good album, and I really became a fan after seeing Foster live at ACL a couple of years ago. These guys are just really great musicians and writers, and can back it up outside the studio.

Supermodel is definitely trippy. It's carefully crafted, and it'll take 50 listens to truly appreciate the intricate details. That being said, after just one listen, melodies for most tracks are catchy enough to easily remember. There's something to be said about doing both of those things really well. Unlike a lot of "indie" or "alt" or whatever you want to label this type of music, these guys are trying to copy cat anyone. You'll hear some songs that remind you of Radiohead's early years, or MGMT, or M83, but this album is utterly unique in my opinion.

Finally, it's good to hear Foster try out new areas of his vocal range instead of staying in falsetto all the time. His lower vocal range doesn't appear to be his comfort zone, but it sounds good and adds some diversity to the sound that was lacking in the first album.
on March 25, 2014
How many of you heard "Pumped Up Kicks" and expected the rest of this band's work to be your typical lo-fi coffee shop fare, only to be blown away when that was far from the truth? I count myself among those people.

Yes, it has finally come. A follow up to their 2011 debut album, Supermodel ups the stakes in a number of ways. While the familiar scrambled synth melodies and Mark's signature falsetto still grace several of the tracks, Foster the People have made an effort to incorporate more acoustic instrumentation, with guitar and drums making prevalent appearances in most of the tracks. The outcome is a more organic- and I hesitate to say this- "grown up" sound that befits the band's misleadingly dark lyrical style, contrasting with their radio friendly upbeat melodies; so some things aren't so different after all.

And they do deliver in a few great songs: "Best Friend" feels ready to toss you out on the dance floor, even going so far as to feature a horns section, and "Pseudologia Fantastica" conjures memories of "Houdini" with its booming chorus and spliced up drumbeat. Last but not least, "Fire Escape", closes off the album on an intimate acoustic track.

However, I can't help but feel as though the album as a whole lacks cohesiveness, and overall is not quite as memorable as its predecessor. Perhaps it's asking too much to ask indie rock and pop to hug again, and to be honest it doesn't seem as though the band is looking to reinvent the wheel again. They're in a good place to start carving out their own names for themselves and shed the reputation of resident ear worm manufacturers. Which, if you ask me, is a good place to be.

Overall, I'd recommend the album to anyone that likes the group, or bombastic pop rock albums. It's a fun ride throughout, and worth a second listen on the way back from a long drive.
on April 28, 2014
When I first listened to the album, I skipped a few songs like Goats in Trees, Ask Yourself, and Fire Escape because they didn't sound like Torches, which I love. Once I listened through the album from beginning to end a few times, each of those songs fit in perfectly, and I enjoy seeing a different side of FTP which we haven't heard before.

If you're disappointed this isn't a carbon copy of Torches, give it a chance. Best Friend, Are You What You Want To Be?, and Coming of Age will get you through until you love them all, especially The Truth, which is my favorite song although I didn't like it at first. Although I love the album, it's not quite as mindblowing as Torches but it's still growing on me by the day!

I'm excited to see FTP for myself in Council Bluffs over the summer and hear both older and newer material.
on March 28, 2014
I got into this band back in 2012 and when I heard the new single Coming Of Age. After the day it dropped I knew i wanted to buy this album. It is definitely a departure from Torches. The guitar is more predominant throughout the album unlike the last one which was more synths. The album has more mature lyrics and sounds on it that are more worldly. This album is less poppy and more alternative and psychedelic rock which I enjoyed. To me the highlights were: Coming Of Age, Nevermind, Best Friend, Goats In Trees, Beginner's Guide to Destroying the Moon, and Fire Escape. There is not one bad song on the record.