Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Supernatural: Season 3
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

Format: DVD|Change

on May 22, 2008
Despite a few stutters by the writers on racial and gender issues, Supernatural's third season follows the show's established tradition of cranking the intensity a notch higher than in the previous season. The crew, as always, have outdone themselves in set design and dressing, locations, props, and camera technique. Lighting, which began the season as the network wanted, brighter and more colorful, was found to be less effective. By mid-season it returns to the familiar moody noir-ish look that provides shadow and mystery to things we never completely see, and is something of a signature look for the show. The effects departments, both physical and digital, are up to their usual standards, always bringing the viewer movie-quality visuals. Veteran directors Phil Scriggia, Robert Singer, and Kim Manners bring their unique styles, perspectives, and knowledge of the world the characters inhabit to their episodes.

The actors surpass their performances in previous seasons. Ackles, always a gifted physical actor, delivers some of the best facial acting anywhere on film today. And Padalecki, after years as a dependable male ingenue, has matured into his craft. Physically imposing, he uses his body as an instrument, drawing in to present Sam as self-effacing and non-threatening or, where it's called for, using his height and impressive wingspan to intimidate and dominate. His facial acting has refined with maturity as well, to the point where he can hold the screen with his costar. The emotional reaches these two young actors take their characters are deeply affecting for the viewer, breathing life into characters on a page.

The themes the series returns to time and again, family, alienation, rescue, surviving in a hostile world, helping the less fortunate, are solid themes whether set in medieval Italy, on a planet in a distant star system, or in an urban sitcom. The background of ordinary, uniquely American life overlaid on an unsuspected realm of myth, legend, and theology is merely the setting for these themes to develop and unspool. This crew of writers, technicians, craftspeople, directors and actors is able to establish and invite the viewer into this created reality. It's an invitation worth taking.
88 comments| 168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 16, 2008
It was with SUPERNATURAL that I discovered the many varied virtues of Amazon Unbox - and I must say that it's a wondrous thing!

I don't usually watch tv, per se. I do, however, love certain network & cable series. To be able to watch them, on my own schedule and at my own whim, right here upon my own computer screen, is just about the closest I've ever come to being spoiled in the whole of my existence!

Now- for this show specifically: Let me just say that I don't think I've ever embraced so whole-heartedly such a guilty pleasure as offered by network tv before in all my history here on earth. In short, I just love this show!

It's in essence the ongoing saga of a family - well, two brothers, specifically- Sam and Dean Winchester, whose mother was killed in 1983 in a fire over Sam's crib when he was six months old, by a supernatural entity. From that moment, Sam's father, John, has raised his children - Dean, who's four years older than Sam, and Sam himself- to hunt supernatural things, with the ultimate feat to kill the thing that murdered their mother.

The allure of this show lies in the dynamics between the members of this fractured little family. Jared Padelecki and Jensen Ackles play Sam and Dean, respectively. Jeffrey Dean Morgan ("Grey's Anatomy") plays John.

There have been recurring characters throughout the three seasons so far, Jim Beaver as Bobby the most notable of Season 3. The acting is simply excellent. There's quite a lot of mythology drawn into the flow of the storyline, though each episode is like an excellent mini horror movie in itself.

The finale of this season left a major and most incredible cliffhanger. I am truly all agog for what happens next!

Finally, if it weren't for Amazon Unbox, I would not have had the pleasure of viewing each of the episodes of this Season of SUPERNATURAL, as I work evenings and nights. I am most thankful it's been available!
VINE VOICEon November 12, 2008
Supernatural is, frankly, one of the more surprising pleasures available on television at this time. When I first heard about it, it was billed as Route 66 meets the X-files. Two guys, on the road together, fighting monsters and investigating paranormal mysteries. A buddy show. Maybe a little horror thrown in.

Well, this show has turned out to be so much more than that. This show is a family show at its core, but I don't mean one that you can watch with your whole family--this is only for teenagers and older. The scary monsters that we were promised from the first? Yes, they are here, and they are at times scream out loud scary. I don't really love horror films, but I enjoy a good scare now and again, and this really fits the bill for me. But about the "Family" show tag I used--the two guys are brothers, and their relationship makes the show. The two are intensely protective of each other, often to their own detriment. Other members of the family are also involved, and there is an extended family of people with whom they work. Monster of the week stories pepper the series, but the show shines best when the backstory, the mythology arc is explored. The mythology is as deep as the X-files ever was, but less confusing and more goal directed. It feels like Eric Kripke (the Executive Producer) has a firm grip on where the overall story is going. Where Heroes (a show which I really do enjoy) often meanders, wandering off in confusing ways, Supernatural keeps serious focus on plot, plot, plot.

The blu-ray production of season three is a real joy to watch. Blacks are deep but well distinguished one from another, and the picture is very crisp. Sound is good. The special features on this one range from the silly to the funny to the very informative, much like on previous editions.

If you've heard about this show, and wondered if you should give it a chance, yes you should. Start with season 1--it is well worth your time. But season three completely blows previous seasons out of the water with its intense narrative, and performances from the lead actors that are harrowing. The final scene of the final episode of season 3...well, chills up and down my spine is an understatement.
on December 6, 2008
Supernatural Season 3 was a great season. While many other TV shows went stale, Supernatural kept a great cast and story going.

On Blu-ray, the video is extremely clear. The blacks look great and the picture in general is even much better than the HD broadcasts since there isn't any noise. The sound is good as well but I am disappointed that Warner didn't include any lossless sound for this TV show.

Another great feature on this set is they include a digital copy of the entire season so you can either download it on iTunes for free or download it in Windows Media Player format.
on November 16, 2008
Another great season of Supernatural! This is one of my few guilty pleasures on TV. The chemistry between the two brothers Dean and Sam is what makes this show so great. Dean has this cockiness and a funny charm that always lightens up the show, while Sam has this innocence all of which bring the show down to earth. Last season Dean made a deal with the crossroad demon to bring back his brother Sam. Now Dean has just one year to live and kill as many demons as possible, and one year for Sam to find a way to save his brother. I highly recommend this great show to anyone!

Episode list

13 - Ghostfacers
14 - Long Distance Call
15 - Time Is on My Side
16 - No Rest for the Wicked

*`Ghostfacers' Confessionals" is a 16-minute set of improvised interviews with the cast members making the "Ghostfacers" television show which frames episode #13. Though a few of their comments find their way into the finished episode, most of these comments are heard here for the first time, and there are some genuine laughs. These are presented in 480i.

* "From Legends to Reality: Supernatural Effects" is a 23-minute discussion of the three areas of special effects which come into play with most episodes: visual effects, special effects, and makeup effects. Interviews with the show's creator, various directors, and the three department heads clarify this most important aspect of each week's broadcast. This featurette is in 480p.

* "Supernatural Impala Featurette" spends 5 ¼ minutes discussing the different incarnations of the famous 1967 Chevrolet Impala that the boys use for transportation each week. The brief featurette is presented in 480p.

* A Season Three gag reel showing some flubbed lines and many hijinks on the set from the two stars is presented in 480i and runs 8 minutes.

* Also inside the case is a code that allows the user to download a free digital copy of Season 3 of Supernatural.

* The user menu also allows the viewer to turn off if he chooses the recaps that begin each episode.
on September 30, 2013
I was unemployed for nearly 8 months after I graduated from college.

I had a lot of time to think.
A lot of time spent in my running shoes.
Many hours laid out on the back patio with my Kindle.
And even more time flipping through channels in my parent’s living room, laptop open, impatiently waiting for an email from any company I had applied with.

And thus, one early morning, I flipped to TNT and came upon a show called "Supernatural". Now, I love all things paranormal. It scares me s***less, but I like it. And to see two sexy ass men traveling across country, fighting ghosts and shape shifters, was pretty much all I needed to see to be hooked like a fish.

The first episode I ever saw was “Ghostfacers” (which is somewhere on this season) and I completely fell in love. I probably shouldn’t have watched it out of order, but I was broke and couldn’t afford to buy the seasons. (Flip to almost a year later and I’ve compulsively bought almost all of them consecutively within a months’ time). I was confused as hell, but I couldn’t stop watching. It’s an addiction.

This TV series has easily become one of my favorites, if not at the tippy top of the list, it’s definitely worth the time.

Dean and Sam. Cas and Crowley. Ruby and Jo. Bobby.

It's all awesome.
on May 18, 2008
It's the chemistry between the characters that makes this series work. The two stars work so well together that you forgot they are acting and actually believe they are brothers fighting demons. Fantastic dialogue, plots and characters. Great series, happy it's getting another season!
on August 12, 2008
I can honestly say Supernatural is my favorite TV show. I bought seasons 1 and 2 on a whim while I was deployed to Iraq, afraid it would turn out badly since it comes from the same network as Smallville (Smallville is good, but it doesn't compare to the shows that are airing now). It was a steal-$20 for each full season. Third season is just as great, despite Sam and Dean's dad (actor Jeffrey Dean Morgan) didn't make an appearance. I bought season three off iTunes but I plan to buy it on DVD for the extras alone. This show has it all-a great soundtrack, intense moments, intriguing plot, and excellent humor. I don't know of another show where two actors (Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki) actually act like true brothers like these two. The humor combined with a plot about ghost/demon/mythical creatures/urban legend hunting makes for an outstanding show. It's worth every cent you spend.
on June 30, 2013
My son and I buy DVDs and watch the series together. It's our evening activity many nights. This one is very entertaining. Great acting, interesting special effects. Funny and serious with an interestingly accurate representation of a lot of the arcane lore.
on June 29, 2014
I love season 3 of Supernatural because the relationship between the brothers hasn't been compromised by Ruby, or San drinking demon blood, or Sam loosing his soul. There are also some funny episodes in season 3.