Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 28 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 53 reviews
on June 30, 2014
As a therapist who treats people who have suffered from major traumas, I am always in awe of the resilience of people. I am curious why some people recover better than others and work to help those who have been so badly hurt. In a clear and cogent style the authors alternate between the research they have studied and their interviews with supersurvivors. The shifting between science and personal stories kept my interest. I did not want to put the book down.
Many of the myths they examine such as positive thinking and then replace with grounded, realistic hope are in line with what I see in my practice. I was intrigued by the concept of perceived support, realizing that support may be available but not absorbed and how small but steady support received can make such a difference. A truly fascinating read.
on June 27, 2014
Disclaimer - I am the mother of one of the Supersurvivors profiled in this book, so of course I love it. But more than that, the authors have put into words to some thoughts I have had about "positive thinking".

When my daughter was diagnosed with cancer, many well-meaning people tried to encourage her and our family with kind words - "She can beat this!" "She will be fine! Just stay positive." "God doesn't give us anything we can't handle". And so on. I generally did not find statements of this type either helpful or inspiring.

This is not to deny being positive, certainly that is helpful in recovery, but more helpful is the concept the authors identify as "grounded hope". As they point out, grounded hope is more pessimistic than positive thinking, but more realistic than pessimism. The authors acknowledge the suffering of those who experience trauma (which will be the majority of us at some time or another), but the focus of this book is learning from the experiences of a sampling of those who revolutionized their own lives or the world around them as a result of that trauma.
on June 2, 2015
This book is written in a way that almost anyone can understand. Yet at the same time, anyone who reads it will get a different experience of reading it than another individual.

I think this book will be particularly inspiring for trauma survivors because in reading those stories of other survivors, you can find parallels and greater awareness of what you have been through.

Trauma comes in all forms and types, but they have one thing in common -- pain. There is no glory in trauma. To all trauma survivors out there, everyone has the capacity to be super.

A great book, beautifully written!
on January 20, 2016
If you've ever endured anything life changing you need to read this. If you find that there are things that made sense that don't anymore you need to read this book.
Not only is the material highly relatable but it's also a very well written book. I am gifting it to my friends because this information is very relevant. So often we dismiss life events as just that not realizing what's happened to us internally. This book helped clarify so much for me about my life, the choices I've made along the way and what I'd watched others around me go through. I'm a better person for this book.
on August 1, 2014
This is a really well-written and enjoyable book that incorporates scientific findings with real-life stories. The varied reactions to trauma are often over-looked and the authors do a great job here of highlighting the trajectories of those who flourish after a trauma. A great read for anyone looking for something inspirational or for those looking to better understand ways to gather strength in the face of adversity.
on December 3, 2015
The survivors' stories alone make this book an excellent read. Some of the very assumptions I've made about my capabilities were deeply challenged by the scientific presentation of evidence to the contrary. For those in need of inspiration, start here.
on April 5, 2015
Great look into survivors unlike we normally view them. Gives one a true understanding of what we are capable of doing. It is a practical look at surviving after adversity without being overly optimistic that "anything" can be done. It takes determination and skill. Surviving gives some people new perspectives and focus on their lives. I highly recommend this book.
on November 21, 2014
I read the book with the intention to get some skill for survive.
Finally, it taught me the biggest tool for survive is to know how to live fully.
It is a wonderful book to clear the halo from the heroes, and make us get further understand about how they make the live.
on February 20, 2015
This book was so interesting. What made it interesting was that it wasn't a pop psychology type book, it was surprisingly enlightening and informative and fundamentally gave you ideas to put you in the same mind set of a superscript.
on November 1, 2016
Interesting read, but I expected more stats and studies vs the inspirational story aspect.