BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Chris young PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 2, 2017
Wow! I read a handful of reviews before I purchased the SureFire Sonic Defenders - and I'm so glad that I did. They were highly rated for a good reason...they're great!
Just returned from a hunting trip and got to use them for the first time. Great sound suppression. Actually suppressed the sound more than I thought they would. I paired them with the Howard Leight Impact Sport OD Electric Earmuff - with the two...the sound protection was incredible.
I wore these for just about five hours of hunting today and yesterday - in 100+ degree heat. They were comfortable, were easily installed, and dampened the sound of my 12 Gauge shotgun.
Want to protect your hearing? Get the SureFire EP4 Sonic Defenders!
on October 16, 2017
Bought a pair of these. Giving it 2 stars. (If their customer service is good and sends me a LARGE plug/tip then I will give it 5 stars!) First, I really like the design and the size of the ear piece. They are tiny but fit in your ear very well.
The issue I have is that, I "assume" they sent me the MEDIUM size rubber plug. (How does one determine???) It said the MEDIUM fits the majority. As soon as I put them in my ears it was like I had nothing in there. I could still hear everything. By pulling them out and, literally, "placing them" in my ear worked better. I mean to the point that they're almost falling out! But any head movement and I could hear everything again!
Bottom line...they're not working. If I can get a pair of LARGE they may work better. If they won't send me a pair of the LARGE plugs/tips then I'm going back to the old-school foam cheapies.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2015
I shoot competitively and for sport. I tend to be very sensitive to sound and will wear buds under my Howard Leight Electronic headset. These are, by far, the best in ear protection I have ever used. I also have small ears and these stay in comfortably for hours on end. I'm at the range no less than 4 hours each time and I've never had any issues with discomfort or itching.

I'm not sure of the difference between the 4 and the 3 or 5, but the 4's work excellent for me. I could probably be fine with just these, but I sometimes will shoot shotgun courses with 10 other people shooting at the same time in an indoor metal surrounded range; my ears can't withstand that because I'm too sensitive. Standard use though for the standards person who isn't sensitive, these are superior to anything else on the market and could be used solo.
on July 22, 2017
These work so well for me that they've become my primary protection when shooting at the range, without using any other muffs etc. Make sure to leave the canal plugs OPEN when you put them in. Closing them basically creates a vacuum that keeps them in your ear and blocks sound. I absolutely love these things - small, light, easy to use, no sweating with bulky muffs on for an hour or more, and my favorite part is that the price means I have several pairs for the price of a single set of "noise cancelling" muffs.
on January 23, 2017
I tried these at a pistol match this last weekend and was very disappointed in their effectiveness. Even with the center hole capped the gunshots were very uncomfortable. I had to resort back to earmuff hearing protection. And, I find they are not returnable.
on March 6, 2017
I'm sure it's just me, but, I was really excited about getting these because I absolutely hate wearing the ear muffs. They make my head sweat. I am sure I did something wrong with these though because my ears hurt something awful and I ended up having to wear the muffs anyway with ringing ears. I gave them three stars for the quick shipping and because I really need to read the directions. I will update after that.
on December 20, 2015
These work extremely well. I wear them to the movies. The additional hole/plug allows you to customize the amount of sound protection -- from significant reduction (with the second plug open) to complete silence (with it closed). I can still hold a conversation with the second hole open, but can't hear a thing with it closed. The cord is very handy for dangling them from your neck when not in use. They do hurt my ears after a while if I've pushed them in too far (this happens for me when I close the second plug after they're already in, if I push too hard -- better to close it before you put them in), but I do have very small ear canals.
on May 13, 2017
I use these on a gun range, and they work great at most of the firing positions. The exception is when stationed next to some one firing a rifle with a muzzle brake; the increased blast/concussive blast requires a set of regular hearing protection necessary. I just don a set over my ears with the earplugs I place, and remove the regular set once I have backed away from the firing line.
I bought the medium sized plugs, and feel I have a little larger than most men, although I really don't go around looking at men's ears. These earplugs fit me well. While at the range, my buddy was trying to ask me a question, but I could barely hear him. I have to also mention that I had on Howard Leight R-03318 Leightning L3 Shooter's Premium Earmuff. These earplugs added a significant amount of noise reduction. I just put them in my ear and twisted them like we were taught in the military with the foam earplugs. My only complaint with these earplugs is that for the price, should have included a nice little case like the 3M Peltor Combat Arms Earplugs do. Meanwhile, I'm using the cheap plastic packaging bubble that came with the earplugs in my range bag. I find this unacceptable for the price, and now have to find a case. It would have been nice for Surfire to have included a case.
on July 3, 2016
These are tricky to get in (you have to do it just right for a proper fit), but once in they are golden. Most ambient sounds are muffled, though you can still hear people next to you. If you plug in the extra bit, all sound is incredibly muffled. You can still hear a little (especially if you're at a concert), but it's cut down by a lot. I can also only hear someone if they are very close to me or lean over to my ear.

I have not worn these to go shooting, as I bought them to help cope with sensory problems and sensitivity to noise. However, I have worn them to concerts, festivals, and parties, and in all of these situations my sensory needs were taken care of without a worry.

My only complaint is that my ears are apparently two different sizes? The left one fits in perfectly and is almost mesh with my ear, but the right one seems to be a bit big. I checked and they are both the same size (medium), so my right ear must just be smaller by a fractional amount. I'm not docking stars, as SureFire can't help my ears being different sizes, but I do recommend measuring BOTH ears and going from there.