Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 164 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 204 reviews
on May 24, 2015
I read this as a library book and decided to buy it because I wanted to bake some of the cakes in it without risking damage to a library book. While I love to bake, I've never done anything very elaborate with cakes before, so this book is very educational for me. It's got great ideas, very fun and inventive. I was a little disappointed that there are only a few cake flavors included, but clearly a person can make their own flavor choices and combinations when following some of the ideas.

I tried the white cake recipe and for some reason both layers fell in the middle. Not sure what I did wrong. I didn't think the white cake tasted that great - it was just "okay" to me - obviously, though, I may have made a mistake somewhere along the line. The texture, though was wonderful.

I am planning to try more of the recipes, plus look for my own. I really bought the book for the ideas, and the few recipes in there are just a starting point. I baked the Vintage Cake, using box mixes (the way the author's grandma did it when she created this cake originally) and it turned out great, including the cream cheese frosting from the recipe in the book. The cake was for a birthday party and it got rave reviews from the family.

The instructions in the book are very clear and complete. I love that quality in this book. I feel like there's no guess work on how to construct these cakes. Many are not easy, but the directions are detailed and well-written.

A side bonus - I made the chocolate frosting recipe, too, just to try on the first practice white cake (the one that didn't really turn out for me), and some chocolate splatters landed on the open pages of the book. I wiped them off with a damp paper towel and the pages cleaned up perfectly, no stains and no warping. How's that for a little plus in a cookbook.
on June 21, 2016
Fantastic book! It makes it very easy to do this spectacular surprise inside cakes. It give a few ways of doing a surprise inside. Easy to follow instructions. I totally recommend buying this book. I sat down and read it cover to cover and then jumped in and made a cake of my own with a surprise inside.
review image review image
on November 20, 2014
So far, I have just made the Basic Butter cream and the Honey butter cream frostings. My son is a beekeeper so I had to try the honey recipe. It is extremely stiff, so I recommend alternating the powdered sugar and the liquid when mixing. I used a bit of vanilla and almond extract. The flavor and texture are superb. The Basic butter cream is also stiff and again I added a bit of almond flavoring. I do not count the stiff consistency as a fault because it is easy enough to make it whatever needed for icing or design. I have not made any of the cakes yet, however if the frosting is any indication of quality, you will be getting raves on your cakes.
on September 10, 2015
Incredible ideas with easy instruction to implement each novel cake. A must for creative cake bakers. The cakes will surprise and delight all your guests. The cakes do take a bit more time and careful attention to detail to implement correctly. If you put in the effort you will be well rewarded. A truly unusual cookbook.
on July 22, 2015
I purchased this book out of curiosity because I'd never heard of surprise-inside cakes. The book has loads of different cakes for all occasions, recipes, and step by step instructions with full-color photos and commentary. The author has even labelled each cake for its ease of preparation. Even if I never make any of these colorful and beautiful culinary creations, I enjoyed reading this book and looking at all the delicious-looking cakes. The author has a wonderful sense of humor, which was an added bonus. I'm glad I bought this book. It was more than worth it!
on April 21, 2014
This is so much more than a cookbook! It is a cookbook, photography book, and coffee table book all wrapped into one! The detailed step by step instructions and pictures are amazing and inspiring, so much, that I was able to make and decorate a beautiful cake, and applied the technique to cupcakes as well.
I felt like I “got to know” the author, through her personal stories and antidotes; I read the book cover to cover, and can’t say that very many cookbooks. I now follow her blog, I am baker. Surprise Inside Cakes, makes a great casual book for the coffee table; I leave my copy on the kitchen bar, which has sparked many conversations. I have also given the book as gifts, and have purchased for some upcoming gifts. They have all loved the book! One of the gift recipients, is as a 2nd grade teacher, she shared the book with her class as a fun way to learn to read measurements and directions. My own kids, love looking through the book and it has started a baking frenzy at our house!
on April 15, 2014
1 - Solid cake recipes. Yes, the book is full of fun and unique ideas for when you cut into the cake. But I love that the author spent the time providing tried and true, delicious cake recipes too.
2 - Beautiful and helpful photos. Cake decorating is a struggle for me. The how-to photos are detailed, and incredibly helpful.
3 - Down-to-Earth writing. Reading the book is like having a chat with the author. I love that!
4 - Difficulty Levels. The book has a page that divides the book's recipes into difficulty level. Tackle your level, then move on to the next!
5 - Celebrating every occasion. Whether it's birthdays, engagements, or Christmas, there are cakes for every family celebration you can imagine. A perfect place to start your inspiration and create a party around your cake!
on March 24, 2017
If you want to get creative--here are some recipes for making cakes with a surprise inside!
on December 20, 2014
This is a great book to inspire one to make interesting cakes. It has great photos and is very clear on the recipes and process.

I do wish there were more ideas though, and that some were more exotic. I also think after the first few, unless the process changed radically, the instructions were minimized. It got repetitive after a while, which is just my perspective, since I can imagine others might appreciate that.

Overall this was a good find to help me prep a cool birthday cake and plan to tap into it now and then to make some fun cakes for friends.
on February 9, 2017