Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 17 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 17 reviews
on January 4, 2014
A lot of good information in this book. I thought I knew a lot about Operating Systems going into the class that I used this book in Fall/2013 semester. I was wrong. With this book and a great instructor I was able to learn so much.

I am sure there is a new edition coming out soon, at least I hope so, the author presents the material straight forward. A lot of nice exercises in the chapters to help you grasp the information. Some pretty great history in the book about how all of this started that I found most interesting.

This book does not cover Windows 8-8.1 to let you know, that is why I am sure there is another edition in the making, I hope so if the author is willing to put in the effort they deserve the work for another edition in my opinion.

Mainly covers Windows OS, has small chapter on MAC OS, and a decent chapter on Linux Ubuntu OS. I would of liked to of seen more of Linux, but our school has a class designated for Linux OS.

What the book did do is open me up to Linux possibilities that I never considered, well the instructor was very detailed about Linux as well. I am not sure if much of my future builds will have anymore Microsoft products on it.

I will stop right here, Great book, if you are buying this to learn about Operating systems covers up to Windows 7 so if you are getting it for a great price, nothing really has changed. If you want the most up to date information, check to see if there is another edition coming out. There may be one out already, I have not looked.
on March 27, 2014
Good for a novice user. This guide isn't REALLY helpful for in depth procedures or technical troubleshooting. It's good for giving a basic gist of anything you need to know.
on September 18, 2012
Basic knowledge about micro computer operating systems. Gets more in depth on certain topics, but isn't too heavy with details or tech jargon. All in all, a nice introductory piece on computer related topics.
on May 5, 2013
This book was purchased for a college course that I was taking. I really was expecting more of a detailed and in depth discussion and exercises to help me do some of the things required by an operating system.
on October 12, 2011
Book was brand new, and shipping was fast. Recommended to other class mates. Better than the last edition of this book. Last edition was severly outdated. This edition was definitely written by someone who understands operating systems.
on September 17, 2015
Informal book
on January 24, 2015
GOOD CONDITION
on August 12, 2014
This product was great for a research paper.
on October 7, 2014
Just excellent
on November 26, 2012
The book was great. It gives you some basic information in a pleasing format.The book was informative. The teacher was not. This would have been so much easier if the teacher had stuck to the book and the teacher helps. He did not. So the book is fine. The course, as taught by the teacher, made it hard to learn.