Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Foo Fighters PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 27 reviews
on July 28, 2007
You must look at the pros and cons of these matches and not be sold on the name. To counter a previous review I found these easy enough to light on the striker provided on top.
PROS:
1. Burn fiercely when lit and would probably do well in wind/rain.
2. Will not ignite accidentally as they are not strike anywhere.
3. These are 'NATO' matches!
CONS:
1. Go out after coated top burns to wood. A regular wood match gives you more time to light tinder due to the wood burning.
2. Not strike anywhere. When I am cold and hands numb I want matches to ignite. Ignition when cold is more important than protection from accidental ignition. To safegard against accidental ignition pack half up and half down, put cotton at heads (doubles as emergency tinder), and split in two containers. Also waterproof the heads (I've only used parafin, but I hear a light coating of clear nail polish works well and doesn't melt in heat).
3. The striking surface is not protected (though it would be easy enough to fold one up and put it inside; worth having even for strike anywhere matches).
4. $7 for about 50 matches vs. about half that for 750 strike anywhere (at a store near me)!!!
BOTTOM LINE: I can get a lot more strike anywhere matches at the store that stay lit longer. If I was in high wind or rain I personally would seek shelter before trying to build fire. Standard strike anywhere matches can be lit in wind easily if you have the knack (ask a smoker). As a kid I remember being out in winter with safety matches and a wet striker lid (it got wet when I took it out of a plastic bag to light a match) cursing the fact they wouldn't strike anywhere. The key isn't a match that keeps burning due to a coating, but carrying/finding good tinder.
Don't be sold by the name. Test all products at home in worst case conditions before going out.
P.S. If it came to down to carrying 25 matches or a cheap bic lighter I would take the lighter (depending on conditions). 25 lights or 250+? Don't take matches just because they seem more 'survivally' (?). Be practical.
66 comments| 131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2010
I bought these around December and went camping in July, well they work and once they are lit they have some fire power but there are a few issues. One the windproof thing is a lie, I lit a match and the second it was lit a SLIGHT breeze hit me and put it out as it was burning. Second the cotton pad inside the canister I assume is there to protect the matches and prevent them from igniting actually sticks to the matches and prevents you from striking them. Third and finally you have to strike them ontop of the canister, and whatever the substance is started to peel all the way off after three or four matches were struck. I know this happens with regular old gas station packs but it peeled off large unused sections and prevented me from being able to strike any more. I have mixed feelings on this but I think I will stick with a Swedish fire starter.
on January 10, 2017
Great product, shipped quick and not a complaint at all I love it when companies produce quality products today, would do business with again NO QUESTIONS!
on December 1, 2012
A flood, bad storm, or blackout! What do you do? Do you have a way of starting a fire to cook food or boil water to make it safe to drink? A rule of thumb is to have 3 methods for starting a fire. These are great all-weather matches, they accomplish the task and give you peace of mind.
on June 14, 2015
Great survival matches these should be in your pack whenever you're camping or hiking !!!
on March 4, 2015
Emergency supplies - makes it possible​ to ride out a disaster
on April 30, 2014
These matches come in a water tight package, are easy to light even in wet conditions and are very reliable.
on January 10, 2012
These are excellent matches for an emergency kit. I stashed some in my survival tin and I keep a pack in my bug-out-bag and in my hiking pack. They definitely work better than the strike anywhere matches.
on August 18, 2010
These are a good addition to a survival kit or backup for a backpacker. The lid sometimes has trouble staying closed in a backpack, but otherwise, they work great.
on February 6, 2010
I've been using lifeboat matches for a long time and they work each time, every time in wet, windy, nasty weather. Yes, some prefer a blast match or flint/steel as an alternative, but for quick and effective fire starting in the worst conditions, you simply can't beat these matches.