Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 23 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 33 reviews
on March 14, 2014
The book arrived in like-new condition! The writing style of Terry Nation is outstanding and keeps the story moving along quickly. He does not, however, describe the physical appearance of his characters well; without seeing the t.v. series, it would be difficult to imagine what each person in the story looks like. He DOES describe beautifully the deteriorating landscape in the years following the devastating virus. The reader can well imagine how quickly nature would encroach upon and erode manmade structures such as roads, airfields, bridges, parking lots, and bridges if left untended. Mr. Nation drives home the point that we are so very interdependent and cooperation is the key to survival. I reject the way he chose to end his story, and have personally re-imagined an ending commensurate with my own paradigm.
on April 18, 2010
It just seem liked another sick passager British Airway flight from Paris to London, but it was much more. But within weeks the killer disease was everywere and it killed over 99 percent of world's population and the world was dying things that were one taken for granted such as running water, power and food died with the people. But there were survivors left and they were coming togther, some to work together and some to rule over others. The fight to suvive was on.
I read Terry Nation's "Suvivros" ahead of the TV show that is coming out in a few weeks and overall I liked the book. I thought that Mr. Nation did a ready great job. While I wasn't thrilled about the ending, I would say that anyone who is a fan post-apocalyptic books will enjoy "Suvivors"
on November 26, 2011
I've been reading up on pandemics both real and imaginary to prepare to write my own book and I ran across the recent series Survivors: Complete Seasons One & Twoinspired by this novel. While the BBC version was a lot more entertaining and satisfying, the novel touches on a number of "what if" concepts that the show never even attempts to approach. The novel kicks off with patient zero, a man who has died on a London-bound plane and is carrying a flu with a mortality rate of 95%; it spreads rapidly. London is plunged into chaos and services break down completely within a fortnight. Mind you, this is a book about the survivors so the extinction of billions is covered in a few short pages, and being English, those who don't make the cut are very polite in the face of certain death. The main point Mr. Nation raises throughout the novel is that our modern society is completely ill-equipped to rough it. We do not know how to manufacture something as basic as a candle because we have learned to completely rely upon mass production and food delivery. Left on our own we will become scavengers up to a point, but in order to really survive we must reaquire the basic skills taken as common sense by our ancestors. The author's hero is Abby, a middleclass mother searching to recreate a new way of life based on sustainable agriculture and bartering with other survivors. The novel read quickly and while I enjoyed the book, I came away wanting something more than a high-level sketch as this book covers more than a decade of post-flu survival. The ending was also an extreme letdown after a gripping adventure.
on May 22, 2014
Because of the above I wanted to read the book to get a more in depth feeling of the characters.
on February 19, 2014
I got to watch only the first season of this show. I understand there was a second season which does not appear to be available for view now. I absolutely loved this show and was looking forward to it going on and on.... big disappointment when it ended (for me) after one season. I rate it right up there with the Walking Dead over here in America. Similar action, but no zombies to whack!
on May 6, 2015
Hated the ending. It was like the authoe lost interest and just ended it.
on June 29, 2015
I had watched the series on Amazon so I bought this book. The series and book are pretty much the same. Watching or reading how people behave and what they do to initially survive is interesting to me. Some people are predictable; others are a surprise.
on November 20, 2014
Absolutely brilliant... couldn't stop watching it (just one more episode...)
Fantastic remake of the original, actually a lot better because it didn't get at all boring like the 1970's one did.
on June 29, 2016
I was very happy with this. Just what I expected.
on May 30, 2016
Condition was great. Movie was not.