|Price:||$27.84 & FREE Shipping on orders over $49. Details|
Sushi Chef Sushi Making Kit
- Sushi Kit provides all the ingredients (excluding fresh toppings), tools, and instruction needed to create Japanese-style sushi
- Premium ingredients from the Baycliff Company include sushi and rice vinegars, short-grain rice, nori seaweed sheets, soy sauce, wasabi, and pickled ginger
- Tools include a bamboo nori rolling mat and a rice paddle
- Sushi Chef Cookbook includes a brief history, step-by-step instructions, and recipes
- Enough ingredients included to prepare a meal for 12 with approximately 125 pieces of individual sushi
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
With enough pre-measured ingredients to make 125 pieces of sushi, or roughly a complete meal for 12, the Sushi Chef Sushi Making Kit is a wonderful gift for foodies or anyone interested having a sushi dinner party. The Sushi Chef Sushi Making Kit takes the intimidation out of creating homemade sushi by assembling the top-quality ingredients made by exclusively by the Baycliff Company with the tools and instruction you need to remove the intimidation factor from this classic food preparation.
Sushi for All: In recent years, Sushi has become an internationally beloved food--valued for both the beauty of its presentation and its great nutrition. Sushi balances a variety of tastes, from bitter to sweet to spicy, in a beautiful presentation that is as appealing to the eye as it is to the palate. Better yet, sushi provides filling and highly satisfying meal that is low in fat and calories that highlights fresh, high-quality ingredients including vegetables, fish, and lean meats.
Get Creative: Many people believe sushi always includes raw fish, but this is not so. The word “sushi” actually refers to specially vinegared rice. Sushi may include raw fish or seafood, but it is by no means a requirement in this delicious dish. Many decidedly “American” ingredients can be used and enjoyed in sushi. Have you ever had smoked turkey or roast beef sushi, or a sweet potato sushi roll? Sushi is beautifully adaptable to individual tastes.
- Bamboo Rolling Mat--used to wrap nori (toasted seaweed sheets) around rice and fillings.
- Rice Paddle--allows you to properly toss warm rice with sushi vinegar.
- Premium Nori (Toasted Seaweed) Sheets--offers a delicate, subtle flavor and designed not to crack and break when rolled.
- Japanese Rice Vinegar--100 percent natural and specially brewed with a centuries-old process to yield a delicate, tangy flavor.
- Japanese Sushi Vinegar--specially seasoned 100 percent natural rice vinegar lends the flavor and sheen for which sushi rice is famous.
- Japanese Dark Soy Sauce--this naturally brewed, high-quality imported soy sauce has a bright flavor and aroma, and is perfect for dipping sushi and sashimi.
- Japanese-style Short-Grain Rice--moist, clingy, and flavorful, this is most preferred rice for making sushi in New York City bars and restaurants.
- Japanese Pickled Ginger--this cool, sharp condiment made from tender, young ginger roots, is eaten in slivers between different varieties of sushi to cleanse the palate.
- Wasabi (Powdered Horseradish)--sourced in Japan from one of the oldest and most reputable producers of wasabi.
- The Sushi Chef Cookbook--everything the amateur sushi chef needs to know to create and enjoy sushi at home, including a brief history, step-by-step instructions, and recipes.
The Baycliff Company Story:
President of Baycliff Company and creator of the Sushi Chef line of products, Helen Tandler, left her multi-million dollar budget and large staff at Citicorp in the early 1980s to pursue a more personally fulfilling path. At that same time, many Americans were gaining interest in Japanese cuisine and sushi--while many were still unfamiliar with the techniques for its preparation. An avid amateur chef with a particular interest in ethnic cuisine, Helen recognized the growing interest in this healthy, creative, and beautiful food and the idea for a Sushi Kit was born. In Helen's own words, “You’ve seen an article in the New York Times about a new kind of food; you’d like to cook it; you don’t have a recipe, you have only some of the ingredients—and the Times article says only ‘see ethnic food shops.’” That was the premise on which the Sushi Chef Sushi Making Kit was created.
Actual product packaging and materials may contain more and different information than what is shown on our website. We recommend that you do not rely solely on the information presented and that you always read labels, warnings, and directions before using or consuming a product. Please see our full disclaimer below.
Top Customer Reviews
Sushi Chef Cookbook
Nori for wrapping the sushi
Spicy Wasabi Horseradish
Dark Soy Sauce
Bamboo Mat for rolling-up your creations
I had a blast creating my own sushi!
The little instruction booklet is great. Of course, this kit is no substitute for years of apprenticeship with a Tokyo master chef, but, if you have some appreciation for the aesthetic of sushi and a flare for D.I.Y. and access to sushi-grade fish, then this is the kit for you.
But it does get you started and will allow you to make some basic sushi. Like other people have said the cookbook included is just terrible!! It talks about toasting the nori even though the package of nori already says "toasted nori"! The cookbook is just terrible. In trying to follow it to the letter for making the rice I burned the hell out of it! But you learn what you realy need to do quickly.
Bottom line the cookbook included is about the worst cookbook ever written, the "kit" could be gotten for half as much or less, and it should have included sesame seeds.. Still a decent gift and will get you started.
With this kit, you have the mat, the spoon, and all the edibles necessary sans the actual fillings (fish, veggies, etc.) And not only does the kit have edible components, they are top notch. The wasabi is scorchingly spicy, the rice vinegar is tangy, and the rice cooks and clumps together with ease. The soy sauce and wasabi are so good, in fact, that I would go out of my way to buy them if I saw them at a store somewhere.
But, the best part of this kit is the manual. It's straightforward, written in simple English, and has very nice photos. As I read each page of instructions, I feel like I'm being walked through step-by-step by a close friend. I made darned good sushi my very first try.
Criticisms? Hmmm... not many. The price is right. Maybe it'd be nice if they had a special "sushi knife" or something enclosed, but whatever.
Bottom line: if you're looking to make sushi at home for the first time, you won't be sorry with this purchase.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Much fun. Harder than it looks! Hats off to sushi chefs!Published 7 days ago by Chris & Lana Phillips
Bought this for our family sushi night. Great starter kit with everything but the fresh ingredients.Published 1 month ago by Jennifer Sinquefield
Because you don't know you're a sushi chef until you try. Seriously though, I have enjoyed using this product.Published 1 month ago by Zachary Colvin
Ok, I bought this sushi kit, and really didn't do my research well! Let me save you some money, go to your local Asian grocery and get these items and more for a lot less! Read morePublished 2 months ago by Kurt and Lori
Really surprised how cheap this kit was, I've ordered ones before that were nowhere near as skimpy. They give you like 5 small pieces of seaweed! Read morePublished 2 months ago by Antonio
Bought this for my boyfriend for his birthday, he used it right away! It has everything he needed to make great sushi, except for the veggies and meat of course. Read morePublished 2 months ago by LitlRed_KS
I never thought that I can create different kinds of sushis with this kit.Published 2 months ago by Robert Rogers
Fabulous set. Have bought many as gifts. Easy to use, good directions.Published 3 months ago by kmoran2