Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Luke Bryan Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Sushi For Dummies
Format: Paperback|Change

on August 22, 2015
I decided to try making Sushi for the first time. I ordered this product as well as Sushiquik Sushi Making Kit Fun Easy . The book is very easy to read and the chapters that they break the information into is fantastic. I used several of the recipes in the book and found them very easy to follow and they were all delicious. The information was a little overwhelming at first, but taking my time to read through each section that I was interested in made it easy to use. I would say that 'prepping' was a big part of making the sushi. So make sure to set aside a lot of time to get everything together and prepared. After a couple of times making the sushi it became much easier to do.
on December 28, 2015
I ordered this along with a sushi making kit for my son for Christmas. He loves sushi and wanted to learn how to make his own. This book is a great resource! He loved all of the aspects this book covers, from choosing the right ingredients, the right types of fish, as well as how to make the perfect sticky rice. It really is perfect for beginners and is has great recipes too. I was going to buy one of the fancy recipe books but went with recommendations in previous comments about this book. So glad I did. I think the other books would have been too upscale for what he was looking to do. Maybe down the road, but this one was perfect for now!
on November 27, 2017
Great book. I have been able to make great sushi following the recipes and to get great equipment based on its recommendations. It explains everything you need to know.
on April 3, 2007
I used this book to make sushi over the weekend and found it to be very instructive and simple to use (as well as humorous and pleasant to read). I followed the directions for making the rice on the stove top and it turned out perfect! The detailed maki-rolling instructions/diagrams were easy to follow, and my rolls ended up looking (and tasting) great! My friends were all impressed. I also learned a ton about the cultural aspects of sushi that I didn't know before, and I considered myself fairly knowledgable.

The only reason I give four stars instead of five is that I didn't feel there were enough recipes for different types of rolls, or nearly enough pictures. But the focus of this book is on technique and the process of making sushi (not necessarily recipes) and for that it was invaluable. I plan to purchase another book to use solely for recipes.

Side Note: The only other special equipment I purchased was the Joyce Chen Sushi Mat and Rice Paddle Set. You can make great sushi using the techniques in this book without buying a lot of extra kitchen gadgets. I turned my rice out onto a large plastic bowl and it worked great.
on May 22, 2010
This book is a fantastic resource (and a terrific value at under $12)! I am brand new to sushi - I have eaten it several times out at restaurants...but I've never tried making it at home. And even with eating it at Japanese restaurants, I was/am still pretty much a novice.

The book explains EVERYTHING. It's about as comprehensive as you can get - covering everything from the history of sushi...to explaining Japanese words and names...to breaking down the equipment/materials that you need to make sushi at home...to providing step-by-step instructions...to including some really terrific recipes. It's written in an easy-to-understand style (you don't need to be a sushi chef to understand it). Even the layout is easy to follow - as the topics go in a sequential kind of order (they build on each other).

In addition to all of this, the authors were thorough enough to include website information where one can purchase absolutely everything imaginable (equipment, supplies, fish, seafood, and other necessary ingredients)! The website info alone would be worth the cost of the book - as I for one don't seem to have much access to sashimi-grade fish & seafood where I live. Prior to the book, I had already gone out an bought a rice cooker, bamboo rolling mats, serving sets, wooden spoons, hangiri tub, etc. (a lot of which I purchased here on Amazon). But in terms of the actual fish needed for sushi, I wasn't really sure where to buy it (and which stores or companies were trustworthy in terms of product freshness and reliability). "Sushi for Dummies" has solved that dilemna for me. I've already gone to one of the multiple websites detailed in the book and have placed an order for bluefin tuna, yellowfin tuna, salmon, and a couple kinds of roe! What good would this book be if you couldn't find the ingredients or supplies needed to actually make the sushi? The authors take care of that with the website info they provide.

Seriously, you really can't go wrong with this purchase. I'm so happy to have this book - and kudos to the authors who wrote it!
on August 4, 2017
Perfect for the novice who loves sushi but is tired of going out for it. Great tips on what you need; making perfect rice, how to cut ingredients, products you need to do it like the pros. Good recipes, too, altho I wish there were more of them. Well worth the investment if you are interested in making sushi at home.
on March 2, 2017
Not the greatest, I was expecting more
on June 21, 2017
Good book for us Dummy's
on April 30, 2017
good tips and funny ones too.
on April 19, 2010
This is a great book that has pretty much everything you need to know about sushi. I got this because I wanted to learn how to make sushi. I read it cover to cover. In the beginning of the book they say that it's easy and anyone can do it, but once you get into the book it can seem a little complicated and overwhelming. So far I have made maki and hand rolls using pre-cooked rice. I didn't follow a specific recipe, but I followed their tips for the vinegar, rolling, etc. My hand rolls turned out to be a tasty mess but the maki was great! My next step will be to take on the process starting w/ raw rice. I also love that they tell you what to buy and how to take care of the equipment (although their price estimates for a lot of the equipment are rather high). My only real complaint is I wish they had mentioned brown rice sushi. (Is that an East coast thing?) Great book overall.