Top positive review
5 people found this helpful
High quality last-generation triathlon watch with some missing features
on August 29, 2014
I spend quite a bit of time going thru reviews, trials and videos related to sport watches. My initial goal was to purchase a watch which I could use for indoor and outdoor running and pool swimming. I was doubtful where I should buy Garmin Forerunner 910XT, Suunto Ambit 2 or Polar V800. While Polar watch was quite new and according to reviews still required some firmware improvements (and price was quite high ~500$), i was still comparing Forerunner and Suunto. I liked Suunto design and the fact that it picks GPS signal very fast but i was doubtful about Movescount application features.
After 2 weeks Suunto dropped Ambit 2 price down to 299$ (perhaps due to upcoming release of Ambit 3) and I purchased it directly on Amazon. When item arrived, i was quite happy about manufacturing quality, its solid look. intuitive menu and fast GPS signal pick-up.
So far I have run about 65 km (6 hours) with Suunto and here are pros/cons:
- high quality product with decent look and design;
- intuitive menu;
- fast GPS response;
- lots of useful apps which can be used as a workout/preparation for marathon, triathlon, etc.
- not sure if it's related to the shape of my arm but the plastic that sticks out from main body (i believe it has GPS receiver in it), makes the watch tilted sometimes so i have to strap them really tight;
- you cannot disallow auto-charge system;
- vibration alerts and SMS features are missing but should appear in Ambit 3;
- you have to be connected to Internet to use Movescount;
- unclear procedure how to calibrate foot pod (had to contact Tech support which replied in 3 days)