Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Dot Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite The Evil Within 2 Shop now

on July 30, 2013
Have read a lot of good reviews on the Ambit2 so when I saw a good deal on Amazon, decided to buy one to test out. I have a Garmin Fenix as well and my personal experience comparing the Ambit2 with the Fenix are as follows:

Pros:
a) Better built quality compared to the Fenix
b) Faster GPS Lock
c) Multi-Sport mode (good for triathlon)
d) Altimeter/Barometer graph readily available as part of watch interface without 'activating' any of the 'Exercise/Sport' mode function (Fenix can show the graphs too if the sensors are set to always on - but battery life suffers)
e) Battery seems to last longer (drop in battery %) when in watch mode (ambit2 will actually blanks off the screen to save battery life if there is no movement)
f) App-based flexibility to extend functionality
g) Faster in reviewing exercise logs (though only in summary - i.e. doesn't give lap by lap details)
h) Peak training effect and Recovery time indicator
i) Better water resistant rating
j) Movescount provides more details and allow layering of graphs for easier analysis

Cons:
a) Limited on-the-watch configuration. Changes have to be made online via MovesCount. My biggest Gripe compared against Fenix - which can be operated 'untethered' to the computer!
b) The strap is not as comfortable as the Fenix - esp for me since I have a small wrist.
c) Lack Bluetooth - which I used frequently to transfer the exercise details to my iPhone for viewing
d) Lack on the watch lap details review (see g above)
e) Lack some GPS tools functionality compared against the Fenix
- Sunrise/Sunset easily viewable via icons configured on the Fenix watch mode
- Lack trace back feature (Fenix breadcrumbs track is useful for finding your way back against Ambit2 directional 'straight line' guidance.)
- Does not auto-correct the time based on GPS (limited time correction)
f) Lack vibration alert
h) Fenix allows downloading of GPS basemap which can be used to provide street by street guide for

Summary: Fenix is a better day-to-day as well as hiking watch while Ambit2 is a better 'sport' watch if one doesn't mind the 'leash' around MovesCount.

Update - Wish list of SW upgradeable features:
- Breadcrumbs for track back
- Configurability to allow simultaneous use of GPS and Footpod (cadence)
- Lap details review on the watch
- Configurability of functions/apps (e.g. Storm Alarm, Sunrise/Sunset) to be displayed under Watch mode instead of Exercise mode
0Comment| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 29, 2017
I researched this watch as well as many others extensively while searching for an outdoor watch to fit my needs. Essentially all I needed was a GPS watch with some sort of backtracking capability, weather monitoring ability and obviously a compass. I'm an avid outdoorsman, whether I'm hunting or hitting the trails. This watch is the perfect fit. Long battery life, accurate compass and GPS, storm warning and over all a great appearance package. I also like this watch more than the Ambit 3 because 1) I have an android and the Ambit 3 is not compatible 2) I don't want notifications nor do I need Bluetooth on my watch 3) connecting heart rate monitors and other sensors are not important to me.

Over all I'm very happy with this watch. I have owned many G-Shock, a Garmin Fenix 2 (terrible and cheaply made plastic watch with a one week battery) as well as an apple watch and a Samsung gear s3 which are too fragile for the wilderness.

Just buy the Ambit 2. You won't regret it.
review image
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
I put in quite a few hours reading reviews and talking to my trail runner friends before purchasing the Suunto Ambit2. I would recommend checking out dcrainmaker.com for in depth, quality reviews. So far I love it and believe I made the right choice. I use the watch solely for running right now. It's easy to use and I've found the website to be user friendly as well. If any issues come up in the future I will update my post. I only purchased the watch. Did not get the HR band. This isn't the watch for everyone, but as a trail runner running for periods of 10+ hours it suits my personal needs perfectly. Quality product I would highly recommend.

Pros:

-Battery life. Perfect for me as I transition into the 100 mile distance.
-Quick to locate satellites. Who's likes waiting around for that?
-I've found the apps available for this device to be more than adequate for me.
-Altimeter is accurate.
-Fits comfortably despite size. I don't have very large wrists.
-Will work if I decide to take on a triathlon in the future.
-Great price for what you get when compared to similar devices.

Cons:

-No Bluetooth capability
-Need to have internet connection to save data to website
on June 22, 2017
Has been my favorite sports watch, until Suunto released the terrible Spartan series watch as the next in this line of triathlon watches. I switched to the Garmin Fenix line, and now would recommend over Suunto's newer line.

If you want a really high quality, high end sports watch AND don't mind black/white display AND want 30+ day battery life...this is for you.
If your budget is below $200...you'd be crazy to not get this.
on November 20, 2015
Fantastic watch, amazing functionality.

I have only one gripe. The buttons. They're a bit.... squishy. It's hard to tell when you've completely depressed them. If I wear the watch loose, the "next" button has a tendency to bump my hand and move screens without my intervention, but it doesn't happen often. It is big. And by big I mean tall. I use it as a daily wearable. It's just on the right side of the "too big" line for me. But it is hard to get it through tight sleeves or backpack straps.

The function of the watch is amazing. The altimeter is fairly accurate. The GPS is AMAZING!
It's pretty well laid out, but expect a learning curve to be able to use it quickly.

The quality is classic Suunto. This is a watch that I'll have for a long time. It's already been on quite a few hiking and biking adventures in the blue ridge mountains with me and looks and feels new. The face is sturdy and well protected.

The battery is great. I never have an issue. You can go for weeks without charging if you don't use the GPS (But then what's the point of the watch.) Expect a week or so of medium use to get it to a point that you'll want to recharge it just in case.
on October 28, 2015
Great watch! I have had it for a month and I use it mainly for trail running, hiking and backpacking. The navigation is good for treks with defined trails (but limited markings) but have never used it for trailblazing. Movescount is inadequate in planning a route and I tend to create a route using alternate sources (e.g. Mapmyhike) then transfer to Movescount. My old Garmin HRM1 pairs with this watch without a problem. The biggest issue I have with this watch is the fit. The stiff contoured back of the watch doesn't seem to fit my wrist well and it feels uncomfortable. The watch also tends to rotate on my wrist away from me so I find myself constantly rotating the watch back to position. This happens more when I am running rather than hiking. Overall though, a great watch with good navigation features and good ability to track my workout progress.
on October 4, 2014
I chose this not so much for the GPS as the longer battery life. Those who complain that a GPS in inappropriate for long distance hiking are missing the point. You can set it up to NOT use GPS, and the battery then lasts a month! A MONTH! Of course, with the GPS and other bells and whistles turned on, the batteries die in a day or two.

For short trips, I have played with the GPS and found it to be an advantage in keeping the altimeter calibrated. I've also enjoyed the HRM, but don't use it much. I've found that it takes a lot of experimentation and practice to really get the settings how you like them.

Finally, the large face and big readout are advantage.
on March 13, 2015
This is my first GPS watch and my first high end training watch. I'm a 65 year old who has been inactive for some time, my sport of choice is distance swimming, pool and open water. After very careful research of the multi-sports watches available, I decided on this Ambit2 Sapphire. I had considered the Fenix2 but, I saw too many complaints about it. I have not used this watch as it just arrived today but, I must say I didn't expect to get it in 4 days delivered here to the Philippines. Kudos to Amazon. The build and feel of this product is superb. I'm sure its performance will be just as stellar.
on September 11, 2014
Unbelievably tough. Uncannily accurate. Provides all the info and data you could possibly need. Nothing better, except maybe the Ambit3.
on September 25, 2015
I'm so impressed of Suunto's quality, performance and options that it has
I would highly recommend it
All those who need a sports watch must think of Suunto
Price compared to its value is peanuts
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.