Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 21-30 of 36 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 62 reviews
on September 2, 2015
ok
on May 31, 2013
Only used the camera a couple f times, works as described. Takes a good quality video and pictures. I would recommend this product.
on September 7, 2013
Can't beat the price. It's a good buy. Love using it. It's a lot cheaper than a go pro Works just as good.
on January 25, 2014
This seemed like a pretty decent camera for the price. I like that is uses the same style mounts as the Gopro so you
can get a lot of compatible accesories. The LCD screen is a nice feature. I don't think the resolution is really 1080 as my videos don't seem as high quality as those from the more expensive units. I am a bit disappointed that the verticle field of view isn't very wide. This makes it not work as well for my particular use. A friend of mine has a cheaper Gearpro brand camera and his gives a much wider verticle field of view than this Swan unit does. Had I known that ahead of time, I'd probably have gone with one of them.
on February 15, 2013
For a helmet cam, it is important to know where it is pointed without removing it from the helmet. I chose this unit because it has a laser pointer to show where it is aimed. Unfortunately, the waterproof case blocks the beam. Picture quality is fine in daylight, though corners of the frame fade out a bit. I will use this while snowboarding and riding my scooter.
on May 29, 2012
camera itself is small and handy, but the voice recording is terrible. I also expected better quality in HD..but cant really compare it with the other cameras. Also I was shooting in difficult conditions (bike on the forest trail), so that can be it. But remote is really useful, the VOX feature is not working at all
on March 26, 2012
I needed a small, waterproof HD camera to make some kayak fishing videos. A friend of mine has one of these and his videos look great, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I was especially excited about the prospect of a remote.

Everything with this package works the way it should. Crisp and vivid 1080p video, several mounting options, and the aforementioned remote. It's easy to use, comes with an LCD screen AND a charger and has a great laser range finder option. Another positive is that there are lights all over it so you can tell if you're recording. The readout on the top of the camera come in handy as well so you can tell if it's running or recording or in still photo mode.

I'll list a few pros and cons and compare it to the Go Pro Hero:

Pros....
Shoots crisp, clear 1080p
Loaded with features (LCD screen, remote, laser, mounts, charger and carry pouch - all things you need to pay extra for with a Go Pro)
Standard screw in mount on bottom of both camera and waterproof housing
Quite a bit easier to navigate the settings than with a Go Pro
Access to USB/charger/HDMI plug-ins on sides handy and easy
Battery lets a long time
Ease of use

Cons...
Waterproof housing seems a bit iffy and not as sound as a Go Pro, although I haven't had any problems
Only shoots video at 170 degree angle
Audio quality is hit and miss (I've had bot good and bad experiences with it so far) but very sensitive outside the waterproof housing. Not bad overall, but you can fix it if you edit with iMovie. I don't know what these other folks were talking about with the audio issues
Remote is awesome, but the range of it is only 6-8 feet, and even less if you have the camera in the housing
Only shoots at 30 fps - would like the option of 30, 60 and 120 fps

If you want to see a video that I made with it [...]
It's mounted to the front of my kayak, so all of those shots are with this camera.

Overall, I like this camera so much, I bought a second one. For the price, it's a great package!
55 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2013
It has everything you need to attach this to your person except a headband/chestband. I can't wait to use it. And it came with a waterproof case.
on February 26, 2013
I think you need to ask your self a few questions. What is the benefit of name verses value. I have seen a hero and this product has more accessories out of the box. The value and video swayed me to Swann over Hero. Both are great, yet on my bike the remote comes with and is functional and makes this a rock star. Again, I have seen both in action and this is my opinion.
VINE VOICEon June 13, 2012
Point-of-view (POV) or hands-free action cameras are a new category of digital cameras. They combine the features of a camcorder with a surveillance camera. They are small, lightweight and equipped with a fixed focus wide angle lens. This unique category was pioneered by GoPro HD HERO2: Motorsports Edition (2011 Model) for photographing various sports from sky diving to surf boarding. The Swann Freestyle has several features which caused me to choose it over the GoPro but I will not do a side-by-side comparison. I have used my Swann for about 4 months and I will share with you some observations which may assist your choice. The video was taken with the Swann Freestyle attached the handlebars of a bicycle. The video was edited using CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Ultra.
Positives:
1. Tripod Screw Mount: The tripod screw allows for mounting on any conventional tripod. The camera is so small that I routinely attach it to and hold it with 4 inch table tripod.
2. Underwater Housing: An underwater housing is included. With the Go-Pro this is an extra. Also included are an assortment of mounting hardware and a nice pouch to hold the camera
3. Laser Pointer: This is an advantage when the viewing screen is removed you want to point the camera.
4. Remote Control: The remote control allows you to start and stop the camera from several feet away.
5. LCD Viewing Screen: The screen makes for better composition, particularly useful with the wide angle field of view. Also, the screen permits playback viewing. The screen can be removed which should theoretically should extend the recording duration.
6. 8meg Photos: The 8meg still photos give enough pixels to process and crop the images. The images are soft and require sharpening.
7. Camera Controls: There are two switches and two buttons on the top surface of the camera. One switch turns the camera on and off. The other switch turns on sound activated video (which I have not tried). The red button turns on and off the video recording. The neutral button takes still photos.
8. Durability: The camera is small and boxy but very durable. It fell off a 4 foot ledge while I was recording. The LCD display panel fell off but the camera continued to record.
Negatives:
1. Customer Service: I contacted customer service asking them whether the camera would take time-lapse photos while it was plugged in and charging, thereby extending the video duration beyond 2 hours. They finally replied after one month. The answer was no.
2. Changing Settings: Most settings for the camcorder and camera reverts to the default settings when the camera is turned off. Changing settings requires stepping thru several menus on the tiny LCD screen.
3. Spartan Manual: The 7 x 10cm manual is 39 pages of small print. The complexity of the camera requires several good instructional videos, an on-line manual or a CD.
4. Vignette: The wide angle images have distortion and darkening at the corners.
5. Low light conditions: The camera clearly works best in brightly lit scenes.

This is an inexpensive way to get into POV video. It is a lot of fun and you will find many ways to use it. Do not buy it if you need a lot of hand holding from customer service and give yourself plenty of time to learn how to use the camera.
1010 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse