Top positive review
12 people found this helpful
Awesome product, inexpensive, hidden benefits.
on November 15, 2013
It is really amazing that Swanson's brings this product at such an affordable price. All the other positive reviews say it all, and I take exception to the critical review, in that whole root powder is NOT filler, it is what it is: 100% turmeric. It may not be standardized, it may not be blended with black pepper, but it does what it is intended to do. And, not to mention, you don't see many people from India with arthritis, as Turmeric, as a staple of Indian food, is well known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Being a COX-2 inhibitor, it prevents the enzyme from even forming, which means people who take this product would be hard pressed to suffer from arthritis pain.
I can definitely tell the difference when I don't take this product, as the pain from my DDH (dysplasia, hip arthritis) is unbearable without it. Celebrex does help, but the Turmeric definitely makes a big difference, and I won't make the mistake of running out of it again.
Keyword search: turmeric health benefits. You do the research, and then you decide if it's right for you. So many confirmed sources can't be wrong. Turmeric only has a few side effects, mostly involving those with sensitive stomachs, but the clinical effects are very promising:
1. It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
2. When combined with cauliflower, it has shown to prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.
3. Prevented breast cancer from spreading to the lungs in mice.
4. May prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma cells to commit suicide.
5. Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia.
6. Is a natural liver detoxifier.
7. May prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer's disease by removing amyloyd plaque buildup in the brain.
8. May prevent metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.
9. It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.
10. Has shown promise in slowing the progression of multiple sclerosis in mice.
11. Is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor.
12. May aid in fat metabolism and help in weight management.
13. Has long been used in Chinese medicine as a treatment for depression.
14. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
15. Boosts the effects of chemo drug paclitaxel and reduces its side effects.
16. Promising studies are underway on the effects of turmeric on pancreatic cancer.
17. Studies are ongoing in the positive effects of turmeric on multiple myeloma.
18. Has been shown to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.
19. Speeds up wound healing and assists in remodeling of damaged skin.
20. May help in the treatment of psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
Turmeric can be taken in powder or pill form. It is available in pill form in most health food stores, usually in 250-500mg capsules.
Contraindications: Turmeric should not be used by people with gallstones or bile obstruction. Though turmeric is often used by pregnant women, it is important to consult with a doctor before doing so as turmeric can be a uterine stimulant.