Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 879 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,268 reviews
on January 24, 2016
This movie definitely isn't for everyone! This movie is a sort of curious mix between horror story and musical. Basically a barber and his significant other living in the Victorian Era are forced to start butchering customers and selling them in their pies in the bakery downstairs just to make ends meet. I can recall if they start eating and cannibalizing themselves or not as I have since lost this DVD. They do all of these atrocious things while singing the entire film and it is almost comical how calm and collected they look while baking human beings in their pies and singing about it. I, personally, lived this film and do intend to purchase it again as a part of my own collection but I can appreciate that it isn't a movie everyone would enjoy.
on January 2, 2017
This is the first Sweeney Todd version I've seen, and I loved it. Not for everyone, for sure.
TOO MUCH blood and violence for family viewing and many people do not want to see this, understandably.
I enjoyed everything about this version, and later looked up the history of this story and subsequent plays, etc. and watched several.
on January 13, 2016
Perhaps the most unique film you'll ever watch.

Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter are delightful and wickedly evil in this screen version of Stephen Sondheim's stage musical of the same name. Both actors sang their own roles which made this rather rigid musical very watchable. Director Tim Burton recreates early 19th century London with amazing detail. The supporting cast of Alan Rickman, Timothy Spall, Sacha Baron Cohen and Jayne Wisener are wonderfully woven into the film fabric and round out the story. Bravo to all for not only bringing their characters to life but for singing the musical as well. I was very surprised by the talent on display.

This is a pretty grisly horror film which makes it rather unique among musicals. But. what the heck, it's great fun and I'll watch it again several times. Tim Burton has done a masterful job with this one.

DVD transfer is very good to excellent. Color
Recommended for those 16 and above. Not for family viewing.
on November 13, 2012
This movie version of one of the best stage musicals of all time does a very good job translating this for the cinema. Johnny Depp is very intriguing by his characterization and Tim Burton's large eyed characters and pale skinned style fits the original creator Stephen Sondheim's stage style perfectly. The use of modern cinema stars does a wonderful job of expanding the appeal of this story to the modern movie goer.

The orchestration is very good and true to the original music but many of the original songs are played rather than sung and this may be disappointing to the Broadway Musical buffs. The singing is good for the most part but the person who plays the character of Mrs. Lovett is at times flat with her singing that may wear on your musical ears. Mrs. Lovett's acting and macabre look fits the part very well and is a perfect match to Tim Burton's regular character selection.

Overall this movie version is darker and more violent than the Broadway Stage version but fits to what movie goers are looking for today. I would encourage anyone who enjoys this movie version to seek out the recorded stage version of the Broadway Musical with Angela Landsbury. If they watch this stage version with an open mind, I believe they would gain even more enjoyment for the Musical Sweeney Todd.
on October 12, 2014
The movie is great. Applause all around. I thought it was very well cast. Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman , Timothy Spall, Sasha Baron Cohen--brilliant all. And, of course, Tim Burden. Reviewers have made issue of the singing voices. I thought all of them were certainly, at the very least, competent/sufficient and did a very good job. I liked the dark appearance of the movie. It is a very dark subject matter. Sweeney Todd is a serial killer and cannibalism is an even darker matter. And it is brutally graphic/gory/bloody. Truly a horror story.
The special features are fabulous and extensive. Interviews with the actors, history of the reality/myth (?) of Sweeney Todd, history of London, history of the early literature/theater and the appetite for violence and gore in England and France and the U.S. And on and on. This 2 disk package is absolutely the best. For anyone interested in history and trivia, this is over the top good.
But, beware--major, graphic violence and very well (realistically) done. Not for the faint of heart.
on April 1, 2017
A very dark musical about revenge. A man wrongfully put in prison and his wife taken and his child being treated badly by the parson that he wants to kill. Jhonny Depp is superb in this showing emotion how he display the character how he might felt. Not intened for younger viewers. But it's a great movie for Depps fans.
on July 22, 2016
The movie and its content are great, nothing wrong with them, but a curious thing happened with this particular movie out of all the movies I ordered together. The cover seemed to have the reds washed out and faded as opposed to the bright and contrasting look of the listed item. After contacting Amazon about the issue they sent me a replace with no hassle. However that cover too was washed out and faded. I'm not sure what happened but something funky is going on with the covers. I've attached some images to show what I mean. Everything else about the product and service was great.
review image review image review image review image
on June 21, 2017
This USED DVD played Perfect, Arrived in Great Condition. Would buy from the Seller again, and I loved Alan Rickman and Johnny and Helena. It was Great. Annie
on October 30, 2014
A great effort that comes up short because of it's changes to the original Broadway show. Nonetheless, the casting is great, but it remains quite entertaining. And Soundheim's music saves everything, but too was rewritten. What gives Tim Burton? You get these great projects and tinker too much with them. Remember your Planet of the Apes reboot? Anyway, watch Sweeney and enjoy. It's too late to relive the stage version, even with all the videos that are out there. You had to see it in person.
on June 8, 2013
When I first heard that Sweeney Todd had been made into a musical...I thought that was really, really weird. I was imagining the lyrics, "I'm going to slit your throat and make you into a pie! I'm going to eat you with a tumbler of ale and a spot of Grey Poupon while I watch American Idol!" There are just some things you cannot imagine being made into a Broadway musical. Little did I know, until I watched the special feature, that actually Tim Burton had made a movie about something that was already a musical.

I was really surprised that it was actually a very good movie. The men were easier on the ears than the women. However, the acting was superb...and I was actually willing to sacrifice singing perfection for acting perfection. It kept a good pace, which can be a problem in musicals. The lyrics were not ridiculous, though I don't know if the songs really "grab" you.

Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter play roles that we are accustomed to seeing them play, and yet it doesn't seem people ever get tired of seeing them play these parts because they just are so good at it! I don't know if I would want to meet them in real life, but I will always watch their movies. Alan Rickman always impresses because he is very versatile.

Is this film for everybody? No. The singing will chase away some people, and the gory topic will chase away others. However, for a small minority, I'm sure there are some that can appreciate it.