Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 93 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 107 reviews
on June 13, 2012
I am completely new to home ice cream making. I bought a home ice cream maker recently and ordered three ice cream books from Amazon and set out to enjoy and explore this new culinary frontier. I thought I'd attempt the pumpkin pie ice cream in Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones, just simple enough in technique for a novice to try with a reasonable ingredient list.

I gathered my ingredients and scanned the recipe to be certain that I understood the technique. I set out to unravel the mysteries of ice cream. Then I noticed I had an ingredient left over. No where in the recipe does the book state when to incorporate the pumpkin puree. In a pumpkin pie ice cream! I read the recipe 3 times completely while doubting my literacy skills. No, it isn't in there. So after I'd tempered my eggs and whisked them into the hot cream, I added the puree. My ice cream turned out smooth, rich, and creamy, but I have no idea when I was supposed to incorporate the ingredient. It blows my mind that out of three cookbooks, I'd pick the errant recipe on my first try. If not for this flub, I'd give the book 5 stars.

It is a nice hardback of the variety that will lie flat on your countertop while you work. The photographs of the ice cream will not fail to make you salivate all over the pages. It has a nice intro to ingredients and equipment for the ice cream kitchen and then progresses to a primer on ice cream techniques, including information on additional cold desserts such as granitas or even making a cake to layer your yummy ice cream on.

The sections are divided by flavors: vanilla, caramel, chocolate, coffee and tea, nuts, berries, citrus, herbs and spices, and tropical fruits. There are handy boxed asides in many recipes to educate you about particular ingredients or techniques pertaining to that particular recipe. You'll also find primers on how to make caramel and other add ins. It is a nice starter guide to get your feet wet, provided you read the entire recipe first to catch any potential oversights.

There are more conventional flavors such as vanilla and chocolate to please the masses, but you will also find recipes that are off the beaten path: green tea ice cream, toasted coconut ice cream, and tangerine granita. I think the book is a winner and will explore it a bit more...after I recover from the pumpkin puree incident today.
77 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2016
The recipes in this book make the best ice cream EVER: smooth, creamy, and flavorful! Tastes exactly like the Bi-Rite Creamery ice cream in San Francisco. The book is also well-written and easy to follow. It includes a master recipe that really does teach you how to make good ice cream, and I've adopted their techniques to adapt recipes from other cookbooks to improve other flavors of ice cream not included in this book.
on October 26, 2015
The recipes in this book are AMAZING! This isn't a use-one-recipe-and-you're-done sort of book. And it's not just ice cream! The snickerdoodle and lemon gingersnap cookies are out of this world. Some ice cream recipes are a little more complicated than I have time for at this stage in my life, but others are quite simple. The pictures are beautiful and the book is nicely organized. I love the "At a glance" area under each recipe that gives info such as waiting and cooling time, self life, chilling time, and special equipment (i.e. microplane or other rasp grater). Each recipe comes with a background and/or tips that have helped the authors make it work, which makes the book enjoyable as you're searching for that perfect dessert. It's a book that makes any heart that loves something sweet do flip flops!
on January 5, 2017
I love it more than David Lebovitz's Perfect scoop. The technique listed makes a really creamy, not melty ice cream.
The order that you mix the cream, egg, sugar, milk really make a difference. So far I've made their chocolate and vanilla recipes but I wouldn't hesitate to adapt flavors from Perfect scoop using their basic technique to make ice cream
on October 18, 2014
Mainly bought it for the Coffee Ice Cream recipe. Such a great book. Took a few tries of reading the front where the techniques are and looking at the pics and then practicing. But now I have got it! Yum!!! Looking forward to go thru the recipes. Most look delicious. Definitely a treat and not for everyday in my household.

I also will note I still don't know how they used the coffee grounds. I tried it and had to just used a small short espresso. The grounds were a mess and stayed grounds in my ice cream - which was gross. I feel like I missed something. Probably, I'm a total novice in the kitchen. But with the short espresso instead of the grounds, the ice cream was all I imagined it would be - delicious!
on April 16, 2013
This is a truly fantastic book, the recipes are unique while providing you with great basic recipes (such as chocolate and vanilla ice cream) the toppings and extras are wonderful as well!
MY ONLY WARNING:
If you are not an experienced baker do NOT expect to master the custard/egg tempering without practice. I'm a fairly experienced baker and I remember my first failures at pastry filings and caramels. Once mastered though you'll appreciate the creamy richness this book offers!
on April 13, 2014
I have five ice cream cookbooks. I use this one the most. I usually cut the number of eggs to four from the five suggested. But I have made more than half the ice creams in the book. They are all marvelous. The recipes are easy to understand, easy to make, and delicious.
on August 20, 2016
First ice cream recipe book I purchased after receiving my ice cream maker. Love the recipes. The chocolate and vanilla have become my standard. Working my way through some of the other recipes. I can definitely recommend this book.
on November 15, 2012
I live in the Bay Area and LOVE Bi-Rite Creamery, so I couldn't believe that they were giving away their recipes! All of Bi-Rites best flavors are in here: Malted Vanilla with peanut brittle, salted caramel, balsamic strawberry. I bought this book and whipped out my only-been-used-once-in-5-years ice cream maker, and found myself loving my new hobby.

The recipes are totally doable for beginners - the ingredients are very basic and easy to find, and there aren't a lot of steps for most flavors. I am a full-time working mom, and have had no trouble making ice cream custards after my daughter goes to sleep. This is a hobby for anyone who loves ice cream.

The pictures are gorgeous, the variety is fantastic, and the commentary is useful and interesting. I've learned how different ingredients make a difference. For example, I ordered vanilla beans from several countries online (I learned from the book and can now verify that they are much fresher and juicier than the ones you buy in the store) so I could compare flavors and get a sense of what I like.

So far, I've stuck with the basics - chocolate & vanilla (both Tahitian and Mexican). All were incredible. I also made marshmallows with more limited success, but that was more due to my lack of skill beating egg whites than the recipe.

All in all, this is probably the only ice cream cookbook you need, and even if you don't make ice cream often it's so beautiful and inspiring that you'll love owning it. I recommend getting this book! Also, if you don't currently have an ice cream maker of if yours doesn't work well, I have an older model of this one and it works pretty well: Cuisinart ICE-21 Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker, White
on July 20, 2017
Well written, excellent recipes that you really want to try. This book will walk you through the process of making the best ice cream ever.