Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 21-26 of 26 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 55 reviews
on June 11, 2012
Disclaimer - this book is not all about sweet potatoes. And that's a good thing.

Sweet potatoes are awesome.
But really - here is how you should eat and live if you want to kick ass. And there will be a few sweet potatoes :)

Tudor presents a highly scientific - and best of all - personally quantifiable - approach to eating and living our best life. Paleo meets Quantified Self. Love it.
on July 1, 2013
Easy to read and informative book with some great information and tips on trying to eat healthier. All of America should read this book and learn about insulin and the role it has in regulating our body weight.

The recipes and cooking tips are great as well. Who knew the sweet potato could taste so good!
on January 21, 2013
I liked the recipes and information about the sweet potato. However, I found the rest to be a not quite complete picture of what optimal nutrition would be. For example, she talks about monitoring blood glucose as a way of tracking and improving your health. My understanding is that unless you have diabetes or metabolic syndrome, this isn't necessary. She seems to be in the "low-carb" camp (along with Gary Taubes) when I personally think the better science is that carbs, per se, are not the cause of our health woes. To read more on that, see The Perfect Health Diet (Paul Jaminet and Shou-Ching Jaminet), Kurt Harris' website (archevore.com), Stephan Guyenet's blog (wholehealthsource.blogspot.com), The Fat Loss Bible (Anthony Colpo) or Chris Kresser's site (chriskresser.com).
I bought this book after seeing it mentioned on numerous Paleo blogs. One of the recipes that attracted me to this book is the sweet potato linguine with sage and brown butter sauce, which I think is a great idea for merging old food habits with new.

However my major complaint with this book is that the recipes themselves don't even start until page 197, and the recipes end on page 267. Given that each recipe takes up two pages, a recipe page and a photo page, that's not very many recipes for a book that I thought was a cookbook.

While some of the book has the expected information about the differences between sweet potatoes and yams, how to store them, why they are so healthy, etc. a huge amount of the book is taken up by generic Paleo health advice such as "the signal of satisfaction: introduction to enough-to-eat hormones", "the importance of sleep", "inflammation: when food becomes foe", "activity: more is not always better", "get off the sugar roller coaster: glucose testing throughout the day", "is my body inflamed? C-reactive protein". While this is all good information, it's not why I bought a book called sweet potato power. I have many books about healthful eating and healthful activity from a Paleo perspective.

I am going to go down the list and share every single one of the recipe titles so that you can see whether or not the small number of recipes in this book make it worthwhile for you to purchase:

Moroccan spiced chicken
morning hash with sweet potato
braised apples and sweet potato in spiced honey over grainless granola
sweet potato linguine with sage and brown butter sauce
salad with roasted chicken, sweet potato, and shallots
halibut with sweet potato and citrus
swordfish with sweet potato salsa
stuffed sweet potato three ways
pork sausage filling for baked yam
lamb sausage filling for baked yam
spicy beef with pepper and sweet potato
turkey burger cookies
hearty vegetable soup
Brazilian sweet potato cream soup, dairy free
southwestern chile
one pan scramble with sweet potato
sweet potato frittata
rainbow cubes
sweet potato vegetable latkes
sweet potato poppers
sweet potato slaw
spinach salad with sweet potato, bacon, walnuts, and pomegranates
chart with sweet potato, pine nuts, golden raisins, and prosciutto
grilled sweet potato with lime and cilantro dressing
sweet potato mash three ways, with orange and ginger, Okinawa mash, whipped yams with caramelized apples
oven roasted winter vegetables
sweet potato gratin stackers
vegetables Tian
on the go sweet potato quiche
spicy sliced sweet potato
sweet potato bars
fudge brownie bites
chocolate sweet potato truffles
sweet potato ice pops
sweet potato cupcakes
recovery drink
sports gels three ways

I found about 13 recipes that seemed so new to me that it made me glad to have the book. Are 13 recipes worth the cover price? Given that the cover price is a lot more than many other cookbooks with so few recipes, I'd say no. While there are some wonderful innovative ideas here, the book seems to be suffering from a lack of direction. Is this a generalized Paleo nutrition book? Is this a book about the health benefits of sweet potatoes? Or is it meant to be a cookbook? Had the author resolved this issue prior to writing, it would have made for a much better book, because at least then presumably I would have been clear on what I was purchasing, which is a mix of all three (heavier on the generalized Paleo nutrition than on the other two parts) and would not have been disappointed.
on June 16, 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed the concepts offered in this enlightening book. I always knew sweet potatoes were super food and they help put color into your complexion.
on September 12, 2012
Sweet Potato Power: Discover Your Personal Equation for Optimal Health
I was raised eating a lot of sweet potatoes, love them, and glad for the encouragement to eat more of them!! The recipes sound good although I have yet to make any of them. Overall, I enjoyed reading the book and learning what a big nutritional winner the sweet potato is. I did "fact-check" the author's contention that the sweet potato is low in fructose. She was correct! She was also correct in saying that the traditional diet of Okinawa makes a big use of sweet potatoes. What the author did not say, however, is that the while the Okinawans eat lots of vegetables they also eat " . . . an equal amount of grains . . .". (see research book "The Okinawa Program"). This only becomes an "omission", in my opinion, because the author of Sweet Potato Power says that grains and beans are bad and should be avoided. (The Okinawans also eat tofu - a bean product!) Actually . . . I think it is more than an "omission". The author implies that eating lots of sweet potatoes accounts for the health and longevity of Okinawans. But what about all the rice and wheat that they also eat? Could the author be deliberately censoring information that conflicts with her Paleo bias? I'd say that this is a great book about the sweet potato but not so good as an overall nutrition guide and certainly not a guide as to what should or should not be in one's diet. I'm having sweet potatoes for supper along with some brussels sprouts and fried chicken and, you should note, RICE! I realize the author is primarily interested in supporting the sweet potato as a healthy carbohydrate addition to an otherwise paleo diet and the analysis she provides is convincing - besides a baked sweet potato is so yummy. I just think she should have disclosed that the Okinawans also eat a considerable amount of grains and fruit, The Okinawan traditional diet is certainly not paleo by any stretch of the imagination. They consume only small amounts of meat and fish. I think her book implies a larger role for the sweet potato in the traditional Okinawan diet (and health) than the facts warrant. This is my main objection to this book. Rather than being a Paleo poster-diet, the Okinawan diet could actually support the arguments of those who believe that grains and beans can be a healthy part of the human diet. She doesn't actually say that the sweet potato is the only or major carbohydrate in the traditional Okinawan diet but by failing to mention the grains and beans they also eat, the implication is certainly there.