Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 81 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 154 reviews
on January 2, 2017
Always thought to be the weak-sister sequel to "Cannery Row". Well, I don't think so. Read that one just before this one and this is just a better novel. Maybe "Cannery Row" is a greater achievement (maybe) but this is just a better novel. The plotting is better, there's more dramatic tension and, Lord knows, you care much more about the characters. Steinbeck scholars seem to look badly on anything he wrote that didn't have great angst and didn't feature poor helpless people living poor helpless lives. They seem to ignore the fact that he was extremely funny and, once in a while, could give us a novel that wasn't totally bleak. This is a masterful piece of writing and, boy, was Steinbeck a master. The boy could put words together. But perhaps the real reason this is a great novel is that there may be no better love letter to a dead friend, giving his story the ending it deserved, not the ending he got.
on May 5, 2017
This is one of my favorite authors who never writes a bad book. It is amusing, interesting, and moves quickly. I highly recommend this book.
on May 6, 2014
This book is profoundly dependent on its predecessor, "Cannery Row"; it is not even a sequel, it is an integral but unenhancing part of Cannery Row. It is clumsy, unwieldy and distractingly contrived, but at the same time engaging inspite of its being like a "mind candy" novella. Yet, I found it peculiarly engaging and worked my way over Steinway's contrived, unlikely place of abode, the boiler and the almost spectre-like residents of the Palace Flophouse.
And what about the peculiar character like Joseph and Mary/ Patron? What kind of literary gimmick is that? Steinway made these colorful, flawed, heartwarming characters residing in a depressed coastal burg into noble saints/angels. But for all its flaws, I liked it, read it through and was glad I spent the time living in Cannery Row and the events and sequelae of Sweet Thursday.
on May 3, 2013
I grew up not so far from where Steinbeck spent his early years, and I find myself back home when I read his descriptions of California's coastal environment. Sweet Thursday is more about the internal environment that we as human beings share. This particular book speaks to my psyche, and expands my understanding of human nature the same way East of Eden, Tortilla Flat and the Long Valley deepen my connection with the land.

There is a sensitivity that the author has wonderfully expressed in this book. The scene with Fauna coaching Suzy on how to capture the attentions of a man is classic. Doc helplessness in trying to talk himself out of his affection for Suzy rings so true. I find balance in the way this story proceeds, which I find missing in some of his more popular works including Cannery Row. I rate the book five stars, and one of my favorites.
on November 3, 2014
Once again Steinbeck connects the thread of human mettle, wits and ingenuity in this sequel to Cannery Row.

Ten years later there are some new faces among the impecunious inhabitants of cannery row but Mack and Doc take center stage along with bumbling, obtuse Hazel, brothel owner Fauna, Suzy the new girl in town, along with a kaleidoscope of other indigent personalities.
What to do about Doc's depression brings everyone together in this crafty heartfelt pleasantry.

Honesty, kindness and sincerity prevail...a simple character story with spirit and emotions of the human fabric.
on July 31, 2013
This is the sequel to cannery row; you don't have to read that first but it will make more sense, especially the jokes.

It's much lighter than many of Steinbeck's other works, especially those you have to read in school. But it has the same insight and the same captivating characters of his other stories. The thing I really love about Steinbeck is his ability to show people at their very worst and make them lovable. This book is set in Monterey after the war so it's full of history too.
on May 31, 2014
I hadn't read Sweet Thursday for years - since I was in my late teens - and that was a long time ago. Re-reading it, I found it just as delightful as I did then. It's a love story with an underlying social message that is so gently told and in so believable a manner that it is possible to believe that all of humanity has the ability to be truly human.
on January 12, 2017
Forgot the length of Grapes of Wrath or East of Eden. There is little of the seriousness as in Of Mice and Men. This is charming little Romance of Steinbeck's star crossed lovers. S delightful little read.
on January 24, 2016
Beautifully written sequel to Cannery Row. Incredible lineup of new and returning dynamic characters and an engaging plot that will keep any reader flipping through until the end. A lighthearted story that packs a wealth of thought provoking themes intertwined throughout.
on October 3, 2016
A brilliant follow up to Cannery Row. Steinbeck brings back some of our favorite characters and quietly makes points that continue to resonate with readers 62 years after the first printing.