Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sweetheart Jewelry and Collectibles (Schiffer Book for Collectors With Value Guide)
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

Nick Snider's book has been credited with bringing hundreds of new collectors to the field of sweetheart jewelry. As an avid homefront jewelry collector, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I was disappointed to find page after page of photographs with hardly any description or even identification! World War I jewelry was mixed together in the same photo with jewelry from World War II. Pins from American war relief organizations were listed under "foreign". Short essays at the beginning of each chapter were informative, but hard to relate to the pieces displayed with them. In my judgement, homefront and sweetheart jewelry collectors will still be looking for that "definitive guide" to our avocation.
on February 14, 2004
I am a WWII British sweetheart collector. This book is known as "The Black Book". He also wrote another, which I reccomend, called "Antique Sweetheart Jewelry" (the red book). Both are good additions to any sweetheart collectors library. Now to the book. It has great photos. They are probably the books most valuable asset. You will be able to find things more by the photos than the descriptions or the sections. The problems with this book are numerous. At least one color plate is mirrored. Several pins were photographed upside down. The prices are not even close to accurate. If they were I would be a millionare. (but this is a commomn problemn with any antique price guide book, if you want to find out the current price of things, go to eBay or a militaria fair) He also has many, many pins in the wrong category. British war relief are misidentified and put in with international sweethearts. Some WWI are in mixed in with WWII. The book, while an excellent tool, is far from perfect and should not be taken as the difinitive voice in sweetheart collecting. I would love to see Mr. Snider do another book and focus *only* on sweetheart jewelry. Leave out the ephemera, compacts, hankies and all the other bits and bobs he tries to jam in this book. This is a complicated type of jewelry to collect. Anyone with the brains and money enough to put a new book on the market, that is accurate will have the collectors standing in line for it. If you are considering it, buy it. You will benefit from the good parts of it and just take the rest with a grain of salt.
on January 13, 2016
After the end of hostilities in the Second World War, books like this appeared and they left a lot to be desired, but in time they got better and added colour photographs of insignia. For now this is what is out there and in years to come you'll treasure these two books and not be willing to part with them as they will be "The Key-Stone" of your library! Pictures opf ads showing sweetheart jewelry gives you a bonus if you look at it as someone back then saw it and wanted what was pictured. How many collect World War Two Coca Cola ads showing the military holding a bottle of Coke, an ad can be attractive in its own right and maybe consider collecting ads and framing them for your special place on the wall. Look at the book as a pioneer and perhaps you can photograph your own jewelry and revise it working with the author, am sure they'd welcome your help? I have credited 2nd editions to military insignia books, the authors were happy to get more pictures I illustrated as well as photos of actual insignia shown larger than actual size. Look up my name on Google!
on September 16, 2013
Not what I've expected. Hope that there were more Sweetheart Wings which I am interested in but the wings made out only a very small portion of the book.
on March 28, 2015
It is hard to believe something like this exists. I wish there was more narrative, but seeing the pieces are worth the price. I collect them and I am thrilled when I find one in there I have.