BCA Month Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 27, 2012
Initially I was happy with this litter because it's totally flushable and created less odor than the attraction litter that I trained my kitty on, plus it was cheaper than the attraction litter. I found that with enough perfumed baking soda and scooping twice a day the smell wasn't that noticeable. It is very scoopable and didn't have the clumping agents that vets warn are dangerous for a kitty's GI tract.

But some things left me unsatisfied with Swheat Scoop. The tracking was terrible and I started dreading going into that bathroom, where the litter box is. I couldn't keep a rug on the floor, I would wear flip flops to go in and I was vacuuming three or four times a day at that. I was able to keep this down by ceasing the use of liner bags, putting a tent over the litter box with a track mat at the opening so the kitty had to step on the mat, and this helped a lot. But I also kept noticing when I would come home from work this lingering smell like spoiled milk or trash that the baking soda just couldn't mask. I started burning candles and incense more. My roommate said she could only smell the incense, but I could still detect a stench. Also, it started to bother me that the clumps crumbled when I scooped them, as the tiny bits that slip through the sieve are probably what's causing the smell. Then one day recently I was vacuuming the tracked litter around the box and I found where it collected the most some mouse droppings. Last night I laid the traps and the kitty kept vigil, he flushed the mouse out of its hiding place and into the trap. After reading other reviews on Amazon I am suspecting that the Swheat Scoop attracted the mouse. We recently moved to the country, it was a little field mouse, and those love to eat wheat as it is.

After the smell, the tracking and now the mouse I am done with Swheat Scoop.
on August 4, 2009
Swheat Scoop absorbs liquid better than the original rock-type litter, keeps the litterbox smelling fresher than crystals and is much safer for the cats, my son and the environment than the latest super clumping, micro-fine, choke-on-the-dust stuff on the market.

Yes, the litterbox still has the potential to stink but hey, look at what's going in that box! I have 3 adopted kittens that I am actively trying to plump up, so you can imagine what both of our litterboxes are like. However, I have noticed that by cleaning the boxes morning and night, the "stinky" is almost non-existent. I don't have to deal with the distinctive litterbox perfume overkill either (you know, the "pretty" smell).

To ensure better clumping, take a note from those automatic cat boxes and do not scoop immediately after kitty goes potty. You do want to clean the box at least once a day, twice if you can manage it, because wet wheat litter will stick to the bottom of the box and/or bag just like the superfine clay type does. Not fun.

As this is a natural wheat product, you do want to care for it a little more than traditional litter. Check the product as soon as you get home and then periodically re-check it just to make sure you don't have any uninvited and unwelcome little guests.

There really isn't a "perfect" cat litter but I have to admit I was really tempted to give a five star rating. Two of my kittens are disabled and cannot control their hind legs very well. This means frequent accidents and sometimes a bit of shmutz. It is really nice to know that they aren't going to have super clumping clay clogging their little insides if they clean up before I get to them.

Overall, I give Swheat Scoop a two thumbs up and a four star rating instead of five simply because of that slight bit of extra maintenance required.

P.S. I am not affiliated with this site but for good storage tips, go here: [...] and/or simply buy "beetle" (weevil) traps like the ones they carry. I found somewhat similar sounding products on Amazon but without doing a side-by-side ingredient comparison, I don't know if they really are similar or not. BioCare also has some great products and there are always books like "Tiny Game Hunting: Environmentally Healthy Ways to Trap and Kill the Pests in Your House and Garden" (which Amazon does carry).
on September 29, 2010
I'll admit that when I got my new kitten complete with care instructions that specified that this was the litter he was used to, I wasn't all that pleased. I'd heard bad things about natural litters and odor control, tracking, clumping, etc., and it's not cheap compared to clay litters. But I was really pleasantly surprised when I used it. I don't smell so much as a little trace of cat urine odor, even when I'm sitting fairly close to the box as my cat uses it (for whatever reason, he tends to jump in the box and go just as I'm kneeling down with the scoop in hand to clean it). It's not the strongest clumping litter ever, but it still scoops well. Best of all, there's no awful litter fragrance lingering on the cat after he comes out of the box. He smells the same coming out as going in, which is a huge plus as far as I'm concerned.

That said, I haven't found the litter quite as good about odor control when it comes to feces, but, then again, I have a weird cat who only symbolically buries his poop. That might be the problem there. As for the tracking issue, it does tend to come out of the box a little more than clay litter when the cat first jumps out, but it's pretty much confined to the area right in front of the door. My cat has medium/long hair and very furry paws, and I don't find this stuff tracked around the house.

In short, I would definitely recommend this. I thought it was something I was just going to have to compromise on, but I actually prefer it to clay litter.

(Note: I haven't ever tried to flush it, as I fear my plumbing is too old to handle it)
on September 17, 2008
I tried and tried to like this product, as I despise the clay based toxicity of most kitty litters, but there is one "con" that outweighs every "pro": BUGS. The first time I noticed what I believe are called wheat weevils, I threw away the litter in the pans and the fresh litter sealed in an airtight container, and cleaned EVERYTHING. I purchased new Swheat Scoop and, weeks later, past what should have been the next egg hatching cycle, I found what looked like millions of the bugs in a fresh box. They clearly are Trojan Horsing themselves into my life via the factory. I CANNOT get rid of them. I am having to have an exterminator come to my house and the company says I have to throw away all the grains in my home on top of it all. I have switched to a non-food based litter. I know that the invasion of these bugs is wholly due to chance, but I would like to warn those considering the purchase of Swheat Scoop: there IS a chance these bugs will move in and they will do everything in their power to stay.
44 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2008
I recently began searching for a healthier and more environmentally friendly alternative to clay litters. I like Swheat Scoop much better than Feline Pine or Yesterday's News, and so do my two cats! This litter clumps extremely well, though it does tend to stick to the bottom of the litter pan in the prevalent urination spots. I'll have to try the cooking spray solution next time I clean it.

The flushability is very convenient, and it is great not to dread opening the garbage can! I find that if I break up the large clumps into reasonable sized ones, or just let the litter soak for a few minutes as recommended on the bag, that I don't have toilet clogging issues with it.

As far as odor elimination, I find that it does a very good job as long as I scoop out clumps and solids every day, and change out and clean the entire box at least once a week. We keep it in the laundry room, which is right by the door from the garage, so it would be hard to miss when we come home every day if there were an odor problem. The only time (other than scooping) that my husband and I even notice odors is immediately after one of the two does a poop job, and even then it us usually only after our male cat goes, because he doesn't bury like our fastidious female. I don't think any litter can make up for that! If there is enough litter in the box and the cat is good about burying, odor containment is pretty immediate.

This litter is not dusty, but it does track. We have contained this very well though with a "massaging shower mat" made of soft vinyl grasslike bristles (and with suction cups on the bottom). I imagine this feels much less painful to the kitties paws too than some of the harder knobby mats.
on September 21, 2011
I bought this cat litter at my supermarket. I thought the claims of the product to be odor free and entirely flushable were great reasons to give it a try. It does have a reduced odor - not odor free and is flushable. The material is very fine and a large quantity adheres to the cat's feet (and in the case of my very hairy cat - to the hairs on his back legs). There was litter all over my house after one cat's use of the box. Constant vacuuming - In addition - When you empty the cat box entirely you find that the litter has formed a cement like formation on the bottom of the box. It takes a lot of scraping and scrubbing to get it off. This was alarming because I had been flushing this stuff down the toilet. I only bought one box of the stuff which was good in theory but had too many negatives to continue using.
on June 30, 2009
I started using this litter about two months ago when we adopted two kittens. Previously I had used the clumping clay litter, but after reading about all the downsides to that type of litter, I was committed to using a natural litter for our new cats.

I've found that the kittens adopted this litter very well. There is no horrible dust, the kittens don't have that perfume-y smell, and I find that the litter box itself is easier to clean with this litter. I did find that the multi-cat version worked better for our two cats in keeping odor down. Because of our septic tank I don't flush the litter, but that is an attractive option for those who can use it. The price works for us, too!

I have read the comments that say this litter results in too much odor. I find that if I scoop the box twice a day, there is no problem with odor. This is NOT a 'scoop it once a week' kind of litter. It does track, but a small mat at the door of the box stops that problem (and what litter doesn't track?). I don't have any issue with the clumps, they seem easy to remove and haven't been sticking to the box at all.

I am very pleased with this product and recommend it -- if you can handle daily scooping.
VINE VOICEon March 12, 2006
I'd like to say that there was some profound reason why I decided to give Swheat Scoop a try, but the truth is I bought it because the cat on the box looks like my cat. While that may not be the best reason, it has worked out rather well.

So, what is Swheat Scoop?

Swheat Scoop Cat Litter is a natural cat litter made from wheat, yes wheat. When the wheat protein gets wet it binds together, creating clumps. In other words, it's a natural clumping cat litter. The manufacturer claims that this natural litter is better for you, your cat and the environment. They, and others, claim: the silica dust in standard cat litter can irritate your and your cat's lungs; clay litters can cause digestive problems and can get lodged in your cat's urethra making them unable to urinate; clay litters are not bio-degradable.

Swheat Scoop claims to be dust-free. This is not entirely accurate. There is some dust. It is extremely fine and powdery and I haven't had any problems with it in 6 months of use. I can attest to the fact that this dust, or powder, is not irritating like the silica dust from traditional litters.

Because Swheat Scoop is made from wheat, it is digestible. This is important because when your cat grooms him or herself s/he will ingest bits of their litter. Some claim that because clay litters cannot be digested they build up in the cat's system and can cause intestinal blockages. I don't know if this is true, but I do know that the claim is supported by some veterinarians.

Whether or not a cat owner believes that there are potential risks from using traditional letters, they are always concerned with how well it works! Swheat Scoop is more than just a natural litter. It is a litter that does what litter is supposed to do, reduce odors. In fact, "reduce" is an understatement; it really does eliminate odors. I does require regular scooping, as in daily. If the litter is not scooped on a regular bases and the clumps become uncovered there is some odor from the moist wheat. Scooping is made much less of a chore by the fact that Swheat Scoop is flushable. If you keep your litter box in the bathroom, then it is even easier.

There is one minor drawback to Swheat Scoop. It clumps almost too well. The clumps have a tendency to stick to the bottom of the litter box and require some muscle to get them loose. The maker recommends spraying the litter box with cooking spray to keep the clumps from sticking. I haven't tried this yet, but I will update if I ever get around to it.

I've tried a lot of commercial cat litters and have even tried shredded newspaper. I have never found anything that works as well as Swheat Scoop, and I love that it is safe for my kitty.
on January 28, 2009
I've used Swheat Scoop for a few months now, and I like it much better than the clay-based litters I used to use. I live in a small 1-bedroom apartment and when I was using the clay-based clumping litter, I and my guests could definitely tell from the litter smell that permeated my apartment that I had a cat, no matter how much I scooped it. As soon as I changed to Swheat Scoop, the litter box smell that greeted me everyday when I came home from work disappeared. As long as I scoop the box everyday, I can't smell it. However, if I don't scoop for a couple of days and the litter gets too saturated to dry, it does start to smell of ammonia.
I also chose Swheat Scoop because of the ability to flush it. I usually leave it to soak for a few minutes before I flush, but even when I don't soak it, I haven't had any problems.
I also appreciate the fact that there's no dust, but as other reviewers have mentioned, the litter does tend to track a lot. Right now I don't have a mat and I need to vacuum regularly to keep the area clean.
on August 18, 2013
Could not even use the bag I purchased because when I opened the bag it was full of meal moths!
The last time I had meal moths in my pantry it cost me thousands of dollars because everything in the pantry had to be thrown out and the exterminators had to treat my kitchen twice to get rid of them.
Absolutely NO way I'd ever purchase this litter again after seeing meal moths in the bag I purchased

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question