Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon kidsevergreen kidsevergreenaltText Choose channels with their favorite shows and movies kidsevergreenaltText Choose channels with their favorite shows and movies  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 125 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 147 reviews
on June 5, 2010
I'm a novice swimmer and hope this will make me get better faster. I've had two 900 yard swims with it so far and will try to follow up with future reviews as I get more accustomed to this device.

Basic facts of note as of 2 swims:
1) It counts 1 pool length as a lap. It got 34 of 36 laps correct, including all of my second swim; I believe this is because I "glided" further after coming off the wall the second session.

2) It works for both "flip" and basic turn-around-and-go-the-other-way turns like I do.

3) It will set up as yard or meters (earlier versions did not).

4) It does NOT download to any type of computer program including the one advertised on the website. You have to manually enter the data.

5) You cannot look at the lap counter while swimming. Not only is the readout a little small, but when you stop your stroke it may cause the computer to think you've changed stroke or done another lap. You could check between laps (while "gliding"), but you would probably have to stop.

6) It figures out the type of stroke automatically, but changing mid-lap will cause it to miss a lap or have invalid data.

7) When you finish a set or a split, you hit the "start" button. Thus, the lap time worked perfectly even if the lap count was off.

8) The pause function is great. It counts your rest, hit start, and your off on your next set. This function was absent from most of the counters I researched, so you had to reset the counter and lose data or count your rest time in your overall time.

In summary, if you mainly want to keep track of laps, go for something more basic. If tracking all the data keeps you motivated (like me) this device seems good so far, but you have to manually transfer the data or use it within the watch itself which is clunky.
11 comment| 170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2015
Only good for one battery. Basically happy with the watch functionality but for close to usd100 I do expect to be able to change batteries and keep going. This is not the case. Battery change require a complete reassembly of the watch need to break it up in pieces and put it together. Naturally it is hard to maintain the water seal, and forget about guarantees once you have attempted this exercise. Real crappy design.

It was fun while it lasted but next time a put 100 dollars into a more expensive brand that I can enjoy past 6 months
on March 4, 2013
This watch uses a technology that I helped to develop called MEMS technology. These are small inertial sensors made out of silicon using integrated circuit manufacturing techniques. I am a daily swimmer (2 to 3 miles everyday) and I have found this product very useful for counting laps, strokes, etc. It appears to work fine for my uses.

The only complaint I have with this product is how it calculates your swim efficiency. I am a good swimmer and this watch gives me readings of efficiency usually below 30. Normally a higher efficiency number relates to being more efficient, but not with this product. With this product, a higher number means your swimming is less efficient and a lower number means you are a more efficient swimmer.

That is, it gives the efficiency backwards. Most people know that a 90%+ heating system for their house is more efficient than a heating system that is 50% efficient.

Updated review: August 1, 22013

My poolmate watch needed a new battery and I discovered that you have to send it back to get the battery replaced!
The cost of the battery replacement was $25, plus another $15 to the USPS to send it back, resulting in a $40 expenditure
for a battery. Moreover, I lost the use of the watch for my swim workouts for over a week. While I am sure this is a
moneymaker for the Swimovate company, it is not highly undesirable and expensive to me.

I also discovered that the battery in the Garmin swim watch can be replaced by the owner. This is much more
desirable and even though the poolmate is less expensive ($100 versus $150 for the Garmin), it is
clear that the Garmin will be less expensive over time.
on March 10, 2011
This watch has worked fine for me regarding the laps count, however 8 months later I'm still trying to understand a lot of its functions. The instructions "book" is very poor so you will have to figure out by yourself how does it work. Another thing is that I bought the pink one, an after the first use in the pool it became yellow, and the worst thing about it is that the yellow color is not the same over the whole strap. It looks now multicolor with some parts bright pink, some other dark pink and the rest of it in different tones of yellows and pinks.
on April 5, 2017
I struggled with 3 or 4 stars. I really loved the watch. I had just two slight quirks with it. I do not turn on the wall rather slowing turn around without pushing off the wall. I go for distance not time. Anyway, occasionally it would drop a length. I just added one on to the end of my mile. The numbers faded as I came up to a year. I sent it back for the company battery change. Now just over 2 years of use the numbers started to fade again then it kicked out all my logs and the time reset to Jan 31. Despite the battery change it is not allowing me to set it up. Again this watch worked well for my purposes. I just wish it would have lasted longer for the price.
on October 30, 2014
I wear this watch to count my laps,
so i don't have to wear my thinking cap.
As other reviewers have remarked,
laps you kicked are gone with the sharks.

But that isn't such a big deal to me,
I'll add back the laps to the total, mentally.
The only wish I have is that when i pause it,
all my progress--gosh, i've lost it!

and when i'm done, i look right away,
because the screen clears without delay
of all your time and your lap count,
but compared to other watches, this is a discount!
on March 4, 2015
I've used this watch for about four years now. I swim rigourous laps for exercise and like to keep track of my yardage and laps. This watch does exactly what I want -- to count my laps, yards, and time. I find swimming laps a lot easier if I don't have to mentally count each flip and instead can swim on and on and then just look at the watch to see how much I've done (and how much more I have to do!) I have never noticed it to miscount. Also, I've replaced the battery twice, which was very easy through the swimovate mail in service. For $35, you send in the watch, and they send it back with a new band and fresh battery. (In fact, it seems like they just sent me a new watch. I'm not sure.) I've gotten way more than my money's worth fromt this watch and will promptly buy another one if it ever wears out.
on November 21, 2010
I am swimming 10,000-14,000 yards 4 days per week and was very tired of counting laps. I got this watch at the end of October and was a little skeptical but I can tell you it does EXACTLY what it says it will do.

I don't have to count laps anymore, the only button pushing is at the start and end of sets, not laps, it keeps track of total laps, calories, speed, stroke efficiency, total yards, yards per set, strokes per lap, it truly is amazing what the watch does.

There are a couple of little things I wish it did differently which is why I gave it 4 stars rather than 5. I wish it flipped through the data sets differently, I wish there was a light (not for use in the pool), The start stop button could be bigger/centered on the face of the watch, etc... but this is a pretty new product that will improve as the years go by.

If you are a serious swimming pool lap swimmer, In my opinion you shouldn't be swimming without this watch!!!
22 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2016
I am so, so happy with this product. It meets my needs exactly. I am an endurance swimmer, I do one stroke for miles without stopping. I do not need a device to analyze my strokes, performance, speed, different sets of strokes, etc. I need something to count my laps for me and tell me when I'm done. This device does that perfectly. It is a hundred percent accurate when counting laps. It does do many more things than just count laps, but that's not what I need it for. I love this thing, I'm so so glad I got it.
on September 2, 2013
I purchased this watch almost a year ago and have used it 3-6 days a week since then. The first issue is that I got a gray model however the color changed to green within the first couple of months.
When I do sets of 600 yards I will do them in usually 3-4 sets for a workout. The watch is lucky if it can get the laps correct half the time. By half the time I mean that it will usually give me a 21 lap count when I have swam 24 laps. So out of 4 sets 2 of them will be at the correct number of laps. But because I swim at the same pace it is easy to tell when the watch is incorrect in it's count as the clock seems to work fine other than I have reset the time about 6 time in the last year.
The watch seems to work almost all the time when I swim the breast stroke for long periods but has trouble keeping track of my back stroke laps as it will usually drop anywhere from three to five laps on a standard 24 lap set. For the front crawl it works about 80 percent of the time on long slow swims.
I have recently started doing sprint workouts with sets of 50 yards and the watch is lucky if it can keep count, on any stroke, of the laps 50% of the time. Which isn't really a problem from the number of laps but it sure throws off all the other data that the phone provides relating to the workout.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.