Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,617 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,752 reviews
on November 30, 2012
I bought this item from amazon seller and just within 2 months its stitches started coming off.. it came with 5 year warranty but when contacted seller they don't provide any warranty and manufacturer provide it only if its purchased directly from them..so bottom line DO NOT BUY...and if you have to buy it from another seller or different website... DO NOT BUY IT FROM HERE... i am attaching picture too..
review image review image
55 comments| 382 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2011
I bought this to replace a SwissGear 'Melton' backpack I'd been using for 3+ years. My old backpack suffered a rip when I accidentally snagged it on a sharp edge (my fault) but had otherwise been the best laptop backpack I had ever owned (of 5).

On the other hand, this SA1908 is the worst I have ever owned and I have returned it. Within hours of transferring my junk to it one of the zippers burst, just as other Amazon reviewers have reported (I now read). On my backpack it was the zipper for the small compartment at the foot of the bag and all I had in there was a couple of USB flash drives and an iPod cable. Hardly over-stressing the zip. The zippers are obviously lower quality than the ones on my previous backpack.

I had to use the backpack for a trip with 6 flights involved since I had no other backpack available. Over the course of that trip I realized:

- The TSA/Equiv do not recognize the backpack as ScanSmart and every time I was told to remove my laptop despite my opening the backpack per SwissGear instructions. (PHX, PHL, LGW (UK), MAN (UK), JFK, ATL).

- There are too few small pockets. Every pocket extends to the bottom of the laptop so you need to rummage wrist-deep or elbow-deep to find anything. I'd prefer many more small pockets to organize things.

- The top handle is set too far back to be able to place the backpack on a rolling 22" cabin-baggage rollaboard case and hold both the backpack handle and the rollaboard handle in one hand. It is possible but very uncomfortable as your hand cannot grip properly.

- The top handle is only made of quilted fabric and does not have any interior steel strengthening as other SwissGear laptops have or had. I doubt this handle would stand the test of time.

- The side-pockets intended for water bottles are too baggy and any water bottle will fall out every few minutes.

- The zipper toggles are stylish but functionally wanting. Rather than a simple toggle you can just pull, these have polygonal loops which attach to the zipper closure and every time you need to open or close a zip the toggle has fallen to the wrong angle and jammed so that you have to spend seconds fiddling with the toggle.

- There is very little padding in the bottom of the laptop compartment. If you are not super careful setting down the backpack on a hard surface you can hear the crunch as the corner of your laptop hits the floor.

In the week I had to use it the stitching in one of the shoulder straps popped and the edging began to fray away. If I kept it longer the shoulder strap would have separated. (This with one light 4lb laptop, charger, a paperback book, a few light cables, and some Bose headphones).

Overall: I hope this laptop isn't representative of all SwissGear's present products because I do hope to buy another. I'll be inspecting backpacks in person though before I purchase another.
1111 comments| 729 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2014
This is a very spacious bag. It has sufficient volume and ample height. This is very good especially if you want to carry a huge laptop or a bulky textbook. The interior has three main layers. The layer in the back has a half zip. I think it is for laptops. Has an extra sleeve for protection. The layers in the middle and in front are for multiple purposes, both being full size. I think I can pack a good 3 or 4 days of clothes, conservatively speaking. In addition, the bag has 2 front pockets. You can put small gadgets, tuck in some documentations such as passports in there. Near the backpack handle, it also has a small pocket for ipod/phones, etc. You can also tuck in two water bottles on the two sides.

As far as comfort, I am carrying essentially the same weight and materials in the new bag, as compared to my old one. I can feel significantly more comfortable when I carry this new backpack.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the purchase. I am loving it so far.
on February 15, 2013
I don't usually write reviews, but I decided to write one for this bag after my terrible experience with customer service.

Firstly, the bag is ok. It isn't as spacious as I'd like it to be, but it looks nice. However, within 3 months of purchase, the meshing on the shoulder strap came loose. It didn't tear or rip, but actually came loose from the stitching. So this is a manufacturing problem.

For the first time in my experience, amazon customer service told me that since the first 30 days are over, I had to contact the manufacturer directly. The bags are supposed to be made by "Wenger" but once you go to the website, you will realize that they have different companies manufacturing different products. I found the number for Swiss Gear backpacks and the lady told me that I had to contact "Group 3 International" at another number. How complicated is this really? Well, amazon's customer service gave me the wrong number, so apparently even they don't know whom to contact.

I called the right customer service and they sent me an email for a warranty claim. In order to file the claim, I have to send them a lot of information which is fine. Except, even if they decide to repair my bag or replace it, I have to pay to ship them my bag. And they have this rule because apparently they are being plagued by warranty fraud. You know what I'm being plagued by? Manufacturing fraud where the manufacturer can't stitch. So how about you pay to ship your own defective material? I had a $17 Eastsport bag before that lasted me 5 years; and even though it is frayed now, the stitching is still good.

So seriously, don't buy this bag unless they are selling it for less that 20 bucks. Otherwise, if there is a defect, it won't be worth your while to pay for shipping both ways to get it fixed.
on February 12, 2016
Don't you just love when you buy something and every time you look at it you think, "I really love this thing"? That's how I feel about this backpack. That's not to say there aren't things I would change, but this backpack does everything I really need a backpack to do. It fits my huge laptop perfectly, and it's easy to get in and out of the bag. Going through security at the airport was also a breeze. And the rest of the backpack has enough space that I can fit everything I need for work without any hassle. It has one open section that fits jackets or lunches or whatever I want to put in there, one medium pocket for pencils and what not (still decent sized), and one front pocket. It also feels sturdy and looks nice. And its comfortable. The things I would change if I could are just aesthetic. For example, there is a patch sewn on the back that says 'airflow', apparently describing a feature. I'm not sure why that has to be a permanent fixture on the bag, but luckily I never really have to see it.
on February 25, 2017
I haven't had a chance to try the "ScanSmart" feature, but love the functionality of the bag so far. I have a 15.6" Acer gaming laptop that doesn't fit in other 17" bags because it's on the bulkier side for a laptop, but it fits in this bag no problem. Good variety of functional storage compartments. My only complaint about the bag is the lack of a cross-chest strap. For a laptop bag with such good carrying capacity, that seems like a major oversight/omission.
on October 22, 2016
Not as much storage space as there appears to be but it's got just enough space for what you'd expect. Notebook/phone charger, music player, laptop, notepad/folders, pens, and a handful of tools. If you're looking to build a technician bag (like I was) it's not going to be your single carry. Build quality is tops and it looks great - aesthetics aren't really a big factor for this type of thing but on more than one occasion people have made comments to me about it.
on September 8, 2016
Almost a 2 year update. This was a nice backpack the 1 1/2 year in use. I have a Dell 17" Labtop. It does fit, but is it snug. Because the laptop is snug, on one occasion of placing the bag (with laptop inside) down, the zipper for the laptop location was damage, probably by the corner of the labtop. Because of this, the section of the bag is no longer usable. I currently place the laptop in the "security" section of the bag. Until that happen I was happy with the bag. Since I work in manufacturing and safety glasses are required, i used the sunglass holder on the shoulder strap to hold the safety glasses. This bag does fit under the sit of a commercial airplane. Plenty of space in the front.
on December 15, 2014
Pros:
- The bag has a lot of storage. I carry a large Dell Precision Mobile Workstation and my work file folders. Sometimes I carry two laptops and some clothes in case my regular suitcase does not arrive when I do. There is plenty of space.
- The shoulder straps are comfortable.
- I use the net pockets on the sides to carry a water bottle.
- There is an inside clip with quick release to accommodate your car keys so you don't have to go digging when you arrive at your home airport.

Cons:
- The zipper on the compartment that houses my work files failed and I had to sew about half of the zipper closed so the it would not open by itself. Of course it happened when I was out of town.
- The zipper for the smallest compartment in the front of the bag gets hung up on some of the design stitching.

Bottom line: Having working zippers is more important to me than the other features. I will not buy this bag again.
on January 31, 2013
I bought this backpack as a school bag after using my other old Swiss gear bag for 5 years. This bag has successful proved to be a giant piece of s*** after the 5 months of minimum use I have put it through. First off both straps started to fray and are now just bare strips of cloth. Next a seam along the edge of the backpack came apart and let all the padding out. Then the s***ty ass stitching on the top of the backpack ripped leaving a giant gaping hole in the top of the bag. And now after all the other s*** has happened to the bag the zippers on the front 2 pockets literally came off. I have put this backpack through ZERO abuse other than it carrying my books. Please don't buy this horrible scam of a backpack.