Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,487 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,848 reviews
on April 20, 2016
I would rate this five stars if for no other reason than this: It makes perfect shoestring potatoes! You know - those sinfully delicious crispy, crunchy potato strings no thicker than a wooden match and usually sold in a can. I had some potatoes that were starting to sprout and get a little soft, so I thought I'd experiment. Snap off the sprouts, wash the potatoes and wipe dry - don't peel them. Run the potatoes through the Borner fitted with the fine julienne blade. Wash the cut potatoes in a bowl with cold water to remove the excess starch. Drain and repeat 2-3 times until the water stays clear. Drain and dry the shoestrings on paper towels. Drop by handfuls into a 325 degree deep fryer. Cook 5-8 minutes, or until almost all bubbles have stopped coming off the shoestrings and they are golden brown. transfer to a shallow pan or plate lined with paper towels and allow to cool. Season to taste. I prefer a little seasoning salt. My wife likes them best unsalted. Yum! Oh, yeah. The slicer works great for other things too. :P
on October 11, 2013
Preamble: I received this mandoline last week. Being a virgin mandoline user, I actually decided to read the instructions. Being a man, this was a first for me. Prior to purchasing, I read a lot of reviews for this and got the impression that this is a dangerous device to operate without complete foreknowledge of its' operation.

When people say this is sharp, they really mean it. The main blade and the two julienne inserts are EXTREMELY sharp. Don't even look at them wrong, because they will cut you. For a slicing device, that's a great thing, but make sure the pets (or kids) never touch it. I'm stating the obvious, but this would be a useful tool in prison. Just saying, one slap with this thing and ears and noses would be hitting the floor.

Where was I....oh yeah...

First time I used it, I put it through it's paces. I had 12 different vegetables ready to slice & dice. Carrots were first. I julienned them like a pro, but using the food holder left a quarter of each carrot chunk stuck on the main blade. Plus the carrot had stained the white plastic. No amount of soap and hot water got the stain out completely. At this, I was disappointed. I may have to use something stronger to take the pinkish/orange stain off. I'll revisit this issue later on.

Next, it was time to slice tomatoes, cucumber, daikon, onions, zucchini, bell peppers of various colors, in which it did an excellent job....and not a single drop of blood spilt.

I then shredded some lettuce and cabbage, with no real problems once I cut the veggies down to fit the width of the guide.

It took 6 days to eat the pounds of vegetables I had processed with this thing. It was quite a few healthy meals I enjoyed. A nice change from the normal carnivorous diet of mine. Perhaps there's something to that vegetarian diet that someone mentioned to me. A discussion for another day perhaps.

Lastly, on the seventh day, I made french fries to go with my much anticipated steak. I have to say that that was the fastest I've ever prepared homemade fries. Color me impressed (or something beige maybe).

Finding a good bowl (with a solid base) helps this whole process along. I've got 10" and 12" steel bowls which work great to catch the food. The small notches on the bottom end of the mandoline locked on the bowls perfectly. Anything smaller than 10" or larger than 12" probably wouldn't work.

Being left-handed, I still haven't found the perfect grip for the food holder yet. But I'm sure with time, I'll figure that out.

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with my purchase so far. Hopefully, as long as I keep using the food SAFETY holder, I'll keep all my fingers intact and attached.

Have a wonderful day, and happy slicing,

-Rob

UPDATE (1/30/17): My mandoline is still going strong. Suprisingly, I still have all my fingers. Why is the 7-piece kit cheaper than the 5-piece? It makes no sense! I used a little diluted bleach to clean the stains, and it looks brand new again, although my black shirt that I was wearing does not. Bleach and black cloth makes brown. Who woulda thunk.

Review subject: Swissmar Borner V-1001 V-Slicer Plus Mandoline
1010 comments| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2015
I just purchased this product about a week ago and used it several times already. I made vegetable lasagna using six different vegetables and cutting them all with the thick julienne blade. I made scalloped potatoes using the thin slicer blade. I sliced onions for onion soup and several large mushrooms with the thin julienne blade as well as the thick slicer blade for mushroom soup. Everything I sliced came out perfect. You have to remember two things these blades are extremely sharp-which is what they're supposed to be otherwise they wouldn't cut properly-and you have to use a light touch let the blade do the work. I practiced on a large potato when I first got the unit so I knew what I was doing and knew what not to do. (Saved the potatoes and made a great potato soup).
There are two things to remember: the blades are extremely sharp - I can't stress that enough. The second thing is to remember to use a light touch, don't press down, let the blades do the work. Seems to work well slicing tomatoes that are firm and not overly ripe. I recommend using the thicker slicer I think that's the wavy side, or the tomato will just mush up.
The unit cleans very easily as do the plates by just running them under hot water and letting them air dry. Haven't tried dicing yet but will follow the advice of one reviewer and rotate the vegetable 90° with each slice. The only downside is I'm having a problem getting the blades back into the holder. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. But all in all a pretty good gadget for the money.
Just a heads up to those who have access to YouTube, put the name of the item and the model number in the search box and you can see a video showing how to use this.
on August 24, 2017
I cook a lot, and nearly everything is from scratch, so I want things to work when I buy them and not add too much mess to my already huge collection of kitchen tools. In about 30 seconds I knew there was a reason the V-Prep was so highly rated. The storage design alone would make me interested. (I like things that pack themselves away in convenient little boxes.) What made me really happy though is how well this worked. The blades are sharp and it is super easy to switch slice types. You can really fly through veg on this thing, so my fingers appreciated the large safety holder. I spent a mere 3 minutes from start to clean up turning a few potatoes into shoestrings. The kid is happy. I am happy. The V-Prep was dry and neatly away by the time I was done serving lunch. (This is how I wish the rest of my kitchen time went, but alas, we can't have everything.) I have tried in on a few other items on it and everything went pretty much the same. Quick cuts, quick cleanup. I'm definitely satisfied with my purchase.
on March 3, 2017
Great tool. Easy to clean and blades are sharp. Makes my meal prep fun. I am a subscriber to shipped box meals like Blue Apron and SunBasket. Great food but requires lots of vegetable cutting and dicing. This tool makes short work of my task. It also makes the food more attractive and food cooks more evenly.
Negative....White kinda stains on foods like beets, but not horrifically. Also, would like to be able to hang it. I don't see how I can and access the tools, although the directions say it can be hung. I don't believe it really was designed to be hung, more like the knife block...just sits on the counter.
on June 1, 2017
This is hands down the best mandoline I have ever bought. I have bought a number of them over the years but they were all flimsy and didn't cut very well. After doing research and watching multiple video reviews, I was impressed with this one and decided it was worth the money to try it. Obviously not the most expensive but not the cheapest either. It is well worth the investment. I have sliced everything from fruit to potatoes with no issues. Everything stores nice and neat in a little caddy and the best thing is that you don't have to touch the blade to switch out any pieces. I highly recommend this product to anyone looking for a great mandoline.
on March 14, 2017
I researched a lot and saw this one had many good reviews and many videos on how to use it. I tried slicing several hard vegetables the day it arrived, but it was just too difficult for me to use. Maybe I am just lacking the strength to use it. I sent it back.
on October 29, 2014
I bought this mainly to shred cabbage for sauerkraut, and I don't think it's a very good tool for that at all. It took me a long time to decide between this mandoline and The Sausage Maker's cabbage shredder. I opted for this because it's smaller and seemed like it would be a better overall kitchen tool, that I could use it on other vegetables, carrots and potatoes and such. And this is German, so I assumed it would be better made than it looks, and I would be pleasantly surprised when I received it.

However, I found it very difficult to shred cabbage with this. I had to try to hold the cabbage chunks together as I sliced, and there ended up being fair bit of waste. When I was done shredding, I did not have the 5 pounds of cabbage that I needed for my recipe, so I gathered up scraps and sliced them by hand using a knife. Then I thought maybe I should have just done the whole job with a knife. I have a nice set of Henckel's knives and can't imagine that I'll opt to use this mandoline over my knives very often. On my cabbage I sometimes had to apply a bit more pressure than I was comfortable with; I'd be afraid to use this on hard vegetables like carrots or potatoes. The mandoline feels kind of cheap and flimsy, the safety holder doesn't fit into tracks, so if you were pushing hard and your hand jerked, I think it could be fairly easy to hit those blades.

I was worried about this mandoline when I read reviews of people who had been injured, but I figured I'd read the instructions and be careful and would probably be ok. Having used the product just once tho, I'm really not sure that I'll use it again. I wish I had saved my money and just bought the TSM cabbage shredder.
on March 11, 2013
I purchased this unit to cut cabbage exclusively and it really does an excellent job. I sometimes use my kitchen aid food processor for the same purpose but this mandolin is outright better for this job here's why:
1) I can shred a large head of cabbage in 6 minutes with this unit including clean up. With the kitchen aid I set up the processor with proper bowl and blade, and then have to cut the cabbage head in 8 pieces to feed, then shred, then break down, clean and re assemble. I have 45 minutes in the project with the kitchen aid.
2) The quality of the finished slaw is much better when using this mandolin than the kitchen aid. Because I have to cut the cabbage into 8 small pieces with the kitchen aid some of the layers turn sideways in the feed shoot resulting in some single layered pieces the size of quarters in the finished slaw. This mandolin has a much more consistent finished product than the food processor.
As far as safety the kitchen aid is much safer. When I read the other reviews about people incurring lacerations with this mandolin I am not surprised. If you are accident prone stay away from this unit. Always use the food pusher and pay 100% attention when using this or any mandolin.
I almost bought the Oxo mandolin and I really don't know how this unit would compare to the Oxo, but I do know that this mandolin does a great job on cabbage in a short time with minimum cleanup.
on February 5, 2016
I have another Borner V-slicer Mandoline that doesn't have a storage caddy. When I store it away I have to put a rubber band around it to make sure all the blades don't fall off as I take it out of the cupboard. I bought this one for the convenience of the storage caddy but it is actually very different from my first v-slicer. My first v-slicer has multiple choices for plain slicing from transparent to thick and also for making very thin to very thick julienne slices.
This model only offers 2 choices in plain slices and only two choices for thin or thick julienne slices. If I didn't have the first slicer, I would probably be very happy with this one but I like having all those choices that the first model offers. I'll probably return this one and I'll get busy and make a box or a storage bag for my trusty old original v-slicer.