Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

Syba USB 3.0 PCI-e Card Components SY-PEX20136
Capacity: 4-Port|Model: SY-PEX20136|Change

on August 29, 2012
Seems to be working fine, though it was just installed a few minutes ago! I almost didn't order this one based off of the 1 star review by "Paul" because I have the same motherboard as he and I was worried I would suffer a similar fate. Not so.

I will say this: the mini disc that comes with the card didn't install the driver correctly. So I went to Syba's website for the driver and Windows finally gave me the green check mark (I'm also running Windows 7 x64). I plugged in my 3.0 extension and then a 3.0 flash drive and transferred a 100MB file. Done in a flash with barely a chance for the transfer file window to pop up.

However, I cannot comment on the complete functionality as I have not yet used the internal 3.0 header, which is the main reason I got this card. My motherboard only has 1 USB 3.0 header, and it is currently used for my Corsair Carbide 300R front panel (which works beautifully as well). I will use the second header for a memory card reader with a 3.0 on the front, as soon as it gets delivered! I'll try to follow up on this review after I've tested out the card for awhile.

Why I chose this card over the many now available:
- It has a 3.0 internal 19 pin header, not an internal 3.0 hub.
- It's printed on a black circuit board, so it matches my mobo and case and everything else ("black" is my theme)
- It's slim and small
- The price is very decent

What would make it better:
- Using a SATA power connection instead of the LP4... or at least including a cheap adapter
- Including a better driver in the box??

Overall, totally satisfied with this purchase so far, but time will tell (and then I'll tell you).

UPDATE: 8 months later, no complaints with this product. I've purchased a second card for use in another build and it also worked flawlessly. Here's a tip for easy access to the latest driver (from the included instructions): visit www [dot] drivers [hyphen] download [dot] com, in the Drivers Search section, enter this Download Code: DL-0313102. Unzip and install, then do a restart. Enjoy!
88 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 4, 2013
Beware of cards that don't at least list the chipset manufacturer. They may switch to a crummy vendor to save a buck after the good reviews come in. This card worked for me. I have an expensive EVGA Z68 FTW motherboard with a cheap, crummy VIA USB-3 built-in device where transfers fail and the device just disappears from Device Manager. New drivers don't help and EVGA never provided firmware that corrects the problems. Putting a piece of tape over the EVGA rear USB-3 connectors and then adding this board provided a decent fix. It turns out the EVGA only has one slot fast enough for this board to hit top speed.

This board has never had a hiccup while transferring or problems coming out of sleep or hibernate.
77 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 15, 2011
This card causes my Windows 7 computer to reboot when either of my two Android devices are plugged into it. No errors are reported at all, it just reboots. I've got 25 years of PC hardware experience and spent 2 hours trying everything I could to isolate the issue. The card installed fine and Windows was happily seeing the device and not reporting any issue. More than likely this card doesn't like something about my computer (such as another device that is installed), but my computer seems happy with itself, so this card has to go!

I imagine most people won't have an issue as Syba is known to make competent products, but in my case I need to try another manufacturer...
88 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 18, 2013
I installed this on my old desktop computer which is about 6 years old and running Windows 8 64bit. I just plugged it in, supplied power, and it works great. I did not have to install drivers or use the CD.

It powers portable USB 3.0 drives just fine and the speeds are about 2 or 3 times USB 2.0 speeds. That doesn't sound great as USB 3.0 can be 10 times USB 2.0, but the speed limit is no longer the USB port but the drive and that which connects the drive to the bus.

My drives are all Seagate devices (Backup Plus).
on May 11, 2017
Doesn't work on my Asus P5K running latest bios and Windows 10, unfortunately. Disappointing. Had it returned thinking it was DOA because the system wouldn't so much as pick it up. Second unit has the same issue however. So that for all intents and purposes this card does not exist when installed.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 28, 2014
This card is a true low profile PCI-e card - The molex power jack and the internal USB output cable are oriented so that there is no mechanical interference with a low profile ATX PC case. If you take a look at the product pictures you will see what I mean.

I am running this on a 64 bit Windows 7 operating system, Aseus motherboard. I didn't have any problems with installation. The drivers are on a mini-optical disk which in my case means I have to turn the computer on its side so the mini-disk stays in the drawer on loading the disk. If the optical disk were a full sized standard optical disk my review would have been 5 stars.
on May 21, 2015
Bought 2 of these for the internal header so the PCs I was building could utilize the USB 3.0 ports on the front of the case. Had to run a Setup program on the mini-CDROM so no WHQL drivers. Plug in your USB device and it may or may not be detected at all. May be detected on one port but not the other. May be installed or may not be recognized. May work fine on one port but not the other. I tested this with a variety of USB 2 and USB 3 flash drives as well as a variety of USB 2 and USB 3 external hard drives. worked less than 20% of the time. Didn't even bother testing transfer speeds because the at under 20% detect/install/work rate is completely unacceptable. Back to Amazon they go.
on May 12, 2013
Works as expected. The CD that came with the product is in a "8cm" format, not like your regular 700MB CD, so it may or may not fit in your disk tray. I listened to Vinayak and didn't even bother to use the CD anyways and directly downloaded the drivers from the via-labs site(should be in v2.10B, 66.5 MB file size, ZIP format). The box does not provide any cables of any sort so you better have a molex connector somewhere (yes you can convert SATA to Molex or split your SATA and then use a SATA-Molex converter; I will put links below)

Tech Talk/Specs (mainly for ppl that don't understand transfer speeds):
Performance is not that great, due to my PCI-E x1 being v1.0/1.1 which gives the theoretical max speed of *2.5 Gbps rather than 5 Gbps for USB 3.0. If my motherboard were to have PCI-E v2.0+ slots, then I should approach 5 Gbps. However, this USB 3.0 card does improve the performance of USB 2.0 speeds, even if by a little bit (tested with CrystalMark). I am currently using the back port (the one next to the molex) for a bluetooth dongle so it doesn't waste space. Installation of this card should have taken less than 3 minutes, but my card guard (I guess I could have removed that useless thing) kept pushing the card down in an awkward position so it took me about 20 minutes to place it in a good position.

*2.5 Gbps = ~0.31 GBps AND 5 Gbps = ~0.625 GBps
Gbps = gigaBIT per second, GBps = gigaBYTE per second

-We use Gbps/Mbps/Kbps (and possibly Tbps in the future) mainly in link/network speeds, e.g. your connection is rated at 100 Mbps.

-We use GBps/MBps/KBps (usually noted as GB/s , MB/s , KB/s) in file transfers, e.g. moving files from computer to flash drive/external hard drive.

SATA Splitter: StarTech.com PYO2SATA 6in SATA Power Y Splitter Cable Adapter - M/F
SATA TO 2x MOLEX: KingWin SATA Power Adapter Cable (SAC-05)
SATA TO 1x MOLEX: C2G / Cables to Go 10149 ATA Male to LP4 Female Power Cable -6-Inch, Multi
on August 12, 2014
It works as described, I now have front USB 3.0 connection for my Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 case and rear USB 3.0 ports for a mother board that doesn't have USB 3.0 I haven't tested speeds yet.

For easier installation, attach the 4-pin molex connector to the card first prior to installing the card into its slot on the motherboard.
on October 28, 2016
Great way to update an older system with only USB 2.0 ports -- USB 3.0 is so much faster. Probably is my imagination but some of the USB 2.0 devices plugged in to the USB 3.0 port seem to work faster.

This card also has the 19/20 pin header for use with a front panel adapter.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse