Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 808 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 851 reviews
on February 5, 2017
We take lots of roadtrips. Namely a 6 hour trip to SC and back from VA every 3 weekends without fail. My 8 year old daughter would likely go crazy without this thing (and so would I!)! We've had it for several months now and it has never given us any trouble at all. I was hesitant buying it as other people said theirs just quit working. Also contrary to other reviews, it can be charged while watching movies, and the volume buttons on the player itself work fine if you hold them down like you're supposed to. It doesn't get left in the car to put up with extreme heat and cold, as none of my electronics do.
The bag it came with is rather flimsy and has torn, but I didn't buy it for the carry bag. It comes with all necessary connections, remote control, and even ear buds. I bought the Premium Multi Passenger Universal Headrest Cradle Car Mount for Apple ipad / ipad 2 / ipad 3 / ipad 4 / ipad Air and ipad Mini w/ Swivel Vibration Free Arm Extender (revised version - use with all 7-12 inch tablets) to go with it and hold it up for the children and it worked like a charm! I would recommend this DVD player.
on April 20, 2016
At first I was appealed by the fact that it can play movies and such from an external source such as USB or SD Card and it was advertised that " you can play all your digital entertainment on this via the included built in USB and SD Card Reader...Not only will this unit play all your DVDs and music CDs... you can play all your digital entertainment on this via the included built in USB and SD Card Reader". However this is not true. First the majority of my movies are MP4, and they aren't supported by this unit. another thing is that the USB doesn't support 3.0 USB, and only supports 2.0 USB devices so if you don't have a 2.0 don't bother. It will not ready the 2.0/3.0 supported USBs. Has to be only 2.0! I was lucky to dig through my office and find an old 1 GB thumbdrive that was still 2.0 only. Some of the other items downloaded that I have it says that it isn't supported when I plugged it in. Some other downfalls are the portable bag it comes with is a bit flimsy, and you cannot adjust the brightness, and the 'time' stamp that appears on the screen. But once you watch a movie or something you tend not to notice it. If you have headphones the volume is sufficient. To end on a more positive note, the shipping was fantastic and no issues with the package when it arrived. I have not tested the 5 hour limit of the battery.
on January 14, 2015
Nice size, but it has a major design flaw in my book, and that is that the "Stop/Play" and the volume (the ones most used) are controlled by the same two buttons! All kinds of buttons on this unit but the designers had to go and combine the two most-used ones. You go to turn the volume down, (which you have to do every time you turn it on because it has an automatic volume-reset which is too loud) and then you end up stopping the movie and have to start it again. Ugh! I really can't stand this. We bought this for our special-needs son and it gets a lot of use. It's a pain to have to be constantly dealing with this feature. Also, the unit itself runs really loud (again with the loud) like it really has to labor to just read a disc. Disappointed. Prbly should have returned it.
on May 22, 2017
I do like it. It's light weight, and the 10" screen is perfect. I don't like the buttons that operate the volume, the search buttons, etc. no matter the function of the keys they all seem to have a clicking sound each time you need to use one of them to perform a particular function and that makes for an annoying amount of noise.. But, I decided to keep the player, I think I can live with it for a couple of seconds. The price point was excellent. Hard to find these devices because modern technology has sort of left them behind, but I don't think they are going to fade into a dark hole anytime soon.
on January 23, 2014
I like the option to be able to watch a DVD any place I want to. The picture is great, but the sound could go a little higher. I also play CDs on it, which is great to take it anywhere to listen to music. I'm really glad I purchased this item.
11 comment| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2016
Excelent product, big screen, nice volume, very fast delivery, my son loves it !!!
review image
on November 18, 2015
Lasted 1 month beyond the 90 day warranty. Picture was great. Only thing I did not like was the weird volume buttons. Never dropped or handled rough, but the screen messed up where only 10% of the screen was normal. For $45 plus shipping, I can have the warranty dept."take a look at it". Yeah, right. Into the trash can it goes. Waste of money.
on February 14, 2016
This DVD player is just ok. Battery life is fine, plays DVDs with no problem and appreciate the swivel and fold flat feature. The biggest negatives are that the player has no resume playback feature and the buttons on the player and remote are chintzy. The resume playback is a feature you absolutely need if you are using this in the car. It means that you can hit stop or the player be turned off (or lose power) and will remember where the DVD left off once turned on again. I find myself having to FF through movies to get near the last scene viewed for my kid which is all the more annoying using the dual function buttons on the player or the tiny and cheap remote that is included. I wouldn't buy this brand again because it looks like all Sylvanias use the same remote and none of the portable players have resume playback.
on January 27, 2016
Pros:
This has a big screen - that's the best feature.

The speakers face off the front below the screen - that's a nice feature, too. Before this we were using an iPad to show our kids videos on trips, but the iPad has a rear facing speaker, so the volume was punishing the wife and me while the kid's watched a show.

The rotating screen is a plus

Cons:
The case - as everyone else has stated, you can probably make something more durable with facial tissue and tape.

The volume button - This is AWFUL. It is a shared button with other functions. Volume down is shared with STOP. You press the stop button and the show stops. You press and hold the stop button and the volume goes down. Maybe our unit lost some sensitivity, but the volume control was almost worthless after a few months and we always reached for the remote to turn the volume down. The buttons all over this thing are clunky.

This unit is pretty loud when it is spinning. I turned the screen around to its 180° position and had it rest on the console between the driver and passenger seat so that the body of the player was more stable and the controls were easier to reach. The kids could hear their shows well, but all we could hear up front has the hissing of the spinning DVD.

This unit has since been destroyed (not the units fault). I'm looking for another player and will not consider getting this one even though the price is nice.
on June 1, 2015
My player did not work when received. I took a look at what was going wrong and I found that there is a plastic tab that presses a button when the dvd tray is closed. The hinge is a little sloppy in the back right corner of the disc tray (where the previously mentioned button is located). In the same corner there is a lifting spring to automatically open the tray. That spring lifts the tray just high enough to prevent the player from fully pressing the button that tells the dvd player that is it is closed I am returning the player and going to try a different one. It is sad that something so is preventing the player from properly working If I apply pressure over the closed tray sensing button, the player will work.