Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sylvania Re-chargeable LED Power Failure and Night Light
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports

on April 24, 2009
This is a great little product that does just what it says. However, the batteries only lasted for about 6 months. Now, if the power goes out or if they are unplugged to use as a flashlight they just go dead. They are not an expensive night light!

Also, you can only really use these in the vertical position (as shown in the photos) if your electrical plugs are vertical and the unit will cover both plugs.
55 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2010
We ordered a total of 16 units and within six months eight of them had ceased to function at all, three would only work when plugged in (the rechargeable batteries ceased to hold charge) and the others were returned new. A 50% + failure rate is a real quality issue. DO NOT purchase, as they will certainly become non operational before a year is up!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on July 24, 2010
I purchased several of Sylvania's night lights and thought they were great until the batteries became weak and died. I found it almost impossible to disasemble the light but I finnally broke it to see where the batteries were. The one battery is soldered in place but it is not made to replace the battery. It is nice but it will not last long if you can't change the rechargable battery. This is wrong.
on January 11, 2010
I purchased 3 of these (3pack) and am quite disappointed with the product(s). Of the 3 one will not charge as an emergency flashlight but can be used as a night light,another fails to turn off when there is adequate background light. The night light is far to bright and the fixture when in place prevents using the second outlet port. Maybe I'm spoiled by the nightlight that I purchased over 10 years ago that worked until quite recently. I certainly would not buy them again as there seem to be far better choices for about the same price..
on July 31, 2010
Purchased 9 of these in 2007 and plugged them in all over the house. We had a power failure last week that lasted for several hours. 5 of the 9 DID NOT WORK AT ALL. Ok as night lights but not very dependable for power failure lights. Less than a 3 year longevity is not very much considering the cost. Very disappointing. (I have a couple of a different type that I purchased in the 1980's and although not LED, they still worked!) I will look for another brand.
on April 10, 2007
As a power failure light, this product is excellent. However; the attached "night light" is much too bright for a night light. I had to used colored tape to cover the bulb housing to dim the light some. Otherwise, a fine product.
on July 18, 2011
Mine lasted about 2 months. I decided to take it apart to find that the internal rechargeable battery _literally_ blew apart! In other words, the battery exploded. Save your money...and maybe your house!!
review image
on June 3, 2007
I have three of these and I love them. The flashlight is of a useful brightness and the emergency light aspect will be worth its weight in gold the next time my power goes out at night. I'd been looking for these without success. Unfortunately I didn't find them until a day or two after our power went out for five hours the other night and they would have been really handy. :-( My neighbor has some and he said the flashlights ran the whole time the power was out without a problem.

The night light may be too bright for Movie Man, but I think it's just right. The plug is not polarized, so you can point the night light portion up or down, and I do both. Up in the kitchen and master bathroom, and down in the hall. The one in the hall is perfect for illuminating the hall at night so I don't need to turn on the light just to walk down the hall.

Absolutely a five-star product in my opinion.

Price tip: These are a little cheaper at Wally World and my neighbor says he got a 3-pack for even less per light at Sam's Club.
on November 10, 2011
I cant recommend these because of serious quality control issues that negate any ability to trust these in an emergency. See below for details.

I bought one of these as a test along with other similar models. The one I bought worked perfectly. The night light was just bright enough to see at night without being blinding. When the power went out (testing) the very bright flashlight came on and lit the room very well. As a flashlight it was very good casting a bright focused beam. Although I have never left it on to see how long it would last it did not dim at all after about 15 minutes of use. That should be more than enough time to address any emergency issues in a power outage and set up non battery reliant lighting.

However, I can not recommend these because of serious quality issues. After the initial success of my first one I bought seven more so that I had one in each room of my home and one at the top of each stairway. Out of the seven, four failed to take a charge at all and were returned and replaced. Out of those four, two failed to take a charge. They were returned for my money back. But there was more disappointment to come.

After three months I did a check of all six of the lights. Only four were still functioning as an emergency light when power was cut. The two that failed had the nightlight still working but the flashlight would not. So there was no way to know ahead of time that they would have failed in an emergency. Even the working ones had some issues. Two were going dim within two to three minutes. I do not think that is adequate time to address emergency issues so they were useless as well.

After almost a year only one is still working but I use it in the work room as a convenient flashlight not as an emergency light because I just dont trust it. (Sadly I dont know if it was the original one i purchased and liked so much.)

Bottom line is that this is supposed to be an emergency item but if it may or may not be still working when the emergency happens then it is useless.
on July 12, 2007
I love this item, I have four and all work perfectly, I even use them as flashlights from time to time. The greatest feature is that a light shines down as well as up. The only slight drawback is that they use one plug and blocks the other.