Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,450 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,535 reviews
on June 6, 2013
After an extremely thorough and detailed assessment of this Sylvania SDVD1332, 13.3" full tilt and swivel DVD player which includes a 1280 x 800 mega-pixel TFT-LCD screen resolution, I am confident it is a 5 star product. I was looking to purchase a portable DVD player for my kids to use on long drives in the car and for another option at home to view DVD movies, or USB and SD Card downloaded pictures, and music. After thorough consideration of multiple brands, options, features and sizes I decided that this Sylvania 13.3" DVD player was the best overall "value in quality" choice. The price is phenomenal for the screen size and features alone. The materials used to manufacture this DVD player was done for a reason: to make it ultra light, portable and easy to carry, move, handle, manipulate and to be light as a feather when holding it in your lap. ***This is not a blu-ray DVD player. ***This unit is not cheaply made. ***It is made with nice fit and finish. The function buttons are large, easy to see and simple push button type that are easy to navigate (use) and understand. For the screen size, options, craftsmanship, functionality, ease of use, portability, durability, additional included items and picture quality you can't go wrong with this purchase. Also, if it arrives in unacceptable condition you can return it or exchange it through Amazon. With Amazon Prime membership, you can get it delivered within 2 days for free.

The Amazon packaged box was sitting on my doorstep and delivered on time and as described (2 days from order to delivery). The shipping box was not damaged in any way. I opened this box and found the flawless manufacturer (factory) box inside with bubble wrap: Inside was a fully bubble wrapped DVD player, 110 volt wall outlet charger, vehicle power socket charger, audio/video out cable, plastic wrapped owners manual, and a remote control with a supplied battery. I inspected the DVD unit thoroughly for any damage and found none. My first reaction was "Wow" very nice color, clarity and screen size. I navigated through the setup procedures and the only function I changed was the "last memory" selection under the "general" options set up page. The factory default was "off" and I switched it to "on", so that a movie will restart at the exact place that the playback was stopped at during viewing. I bypassed all the previews by pressing the menu button and the main movie title page came on. I pressed play and the movie played flawlessly. I even picked the unit up, carried it around, rotated the screen back and forth, swiveled it around 180 degrees and layed it down flat (like a tablet) and reopened it and hung it from the wall using the two precut screw holes located on the back of the unit's base and the movie continued to play without any interruptions in picture quality (the DVD did not jump or skip). The picture quality was very nice, sound from the two small speakers, set to stereo mode (which is the factory default setting) was very good, and by using the RCA connections you are able to connect to an external AV source (TV and soundbar) which will allow you to increase the screen size or enhance the sound or both. The unit comes with the AV out-female RCA connections, but you will have to purchase the triple male-in RCA connections or an RCA-to-HDMI converter box and cable to complete this. The rechargeable internal Lithium-Polymer battery is rated at 2 hours with a full charge at max volume and max brightness, but in "optimal" conditions using the supplied ear buds (at reduced volume) and reduced brightness the charge will last closer to 2.5 hours. Due to the large screen size and when using the internal speakers at an elevated volume level this will create an exaggerated drain and deplete the internal battery more rapidly. To avoid this, the manufacturer includes the two alternative power sources which when plugged in will not use the power charge from the internal battery. ***Also, in order to actually recharge the battery you must turn the unit to OFF. ***The rechargeable battery will not charge when the unit is turned on even if it is plugged in to a secure power source (wall outlet or vehicle power socket). ***When the DVD player is turned OFF and plugged-in the charging indicator light located at the front lower right corner will illuminate red. When fully charged, took anywhere from approximately 3 to 5 hours, the indicator light illuminates green. ***The remote control sensor is located at the front lower right corner next to the charging indicator light.

++ Note: picture quality is excellent, but it is not and will not be as good as a Blu-ray DVD played on a BR disc player viewed on a 1080p HDTV format; however, with a pixel resolution of 1280 x 800 the clarity and quality of the screen is extremely nice, at all angles, for a portable DVD player. The colors are vibrant and the brightness of the screen is also very nice.

I tested the SD Card slot and the USB slot separately using an SD-Card (SDC) that was loaded with pictures and a USB thumb-drive also loaded with pictures. I pressed the mode button and this unit read each one without a problem and displayed the pictures in full screen. The navigation arrows on the DVD player and the remote control allows you to flip pictures that are saved upside down or sideways into an upright position and also flip pictures over to an opposite mirror image. Picture quality was good.
The playback of video on an original type SDC (slower speed and less memory capacity) worked; however, I would rate this feature/picture quality as just ok to good. (See specs below: SDHC and SDXC flash memory cards). I did not have movies and/or video downloaded onto a USB drive so I was not able to check this feature.

**UPDATE: 7/10/2014: This Sylvania 13.3" Swivel DVD player continues to work flawlessly after watching at least 125 to 150 movies. **It is not a Blu-ray DVD player. It has A/V out capability only, no A/V in (does support USB and SDC). ***NOTE: The volume returning to high is not a malfunction with this player. The volume remains at the users preselected level (from 0 to 20) IF THE PLAYER IS NOT TURNED OFF. If DVD's are exchanged and then restarted the volume remains at the preselected level. There is no internal electronic memory to lock the volume at a lowered level when turned off. This is a factory default setting and has not been an issue for me. ***If you use the on-screen ZOOM feature (remote) or the repeat/A-B/title search functions the 2x, 3x, 4x, etc., icons will remain on the screen in white and will not drop-off (disappear) until you return to standard size or no zoom or resume normal playback. ***This is an extremely nice product for the money. It reads and plays all types of media, but most impressively it is great for watching DVD movies.
**UPDATE: 3/24/2016: It still works, still charges up and holds a charge, plays DVD's like it was meant to and functions and operates as intended. It has been dropped several times on hard surfaces and the case pulled apart and the DVD lid hinge-pin and spring broke off, but after popping the case back together and using a piece of electrical tape on the rear part of the DVD lid it closes and opens by hand and then plays DVD's just as good as it did when it was first purchased. Great value for the purchase price!
**UPDATE: 8/16/2017: The SDVD1332 continues to work. The picture/screen resolution is still super nice. The built-in speakers still work like they did when purchased and all functions still work. It's still a great backup when a member of the family wants to watch something else besides what's playing on the big screen TV. It was well worth the purchase price and I would buy another one without hesitation. These are not made to be dropped, so treat them with care.
****These are some of the important specs for this player:
Supports: WMA, MP3, DivX, MP4, MPEG-1,2,3,4, VOB, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD, CD, VCD
Compatible with DVD+/-R/RW, CD-R/RW, JPEG formats
Supports USB 1.1, SD-Card (flash memory card) Note: The newer SDHC or SDXC high speed cards offer greater capacity than the DVD-host device can handle (over 4 GB for SDHC, over 32 GB for SDXC).
A/V out only: Must be a 3.5mm diameter, long plug/pin (17mm) design, 3 ring to RCA red, yellow, white. No A/V in capability.
Ear bud (head-phone)out connection x 1. Can use a multi-splitter to use more ear buds.
Includes Closed Captions: Designed as a descriptive text service for the hearing impaired, and can be added onto DVDs.
Includes Subtitles: Exists as a sub-image or video track that overlays onto the primary video when turned on.
Factory set to Region #1: U.S., Canada, Hawaii, Alaska, Bermuda and Caribbean. Is not region free.
Dimensions: closed (LxWxH): 363mm x 248mm x 45mm or 14.29" x 9.76" x 1.77"
Battery Type: Lithium Polymer (rechargeable internal battery) will last ~2 hours at max volume and max brightness. Approximately 2.5 hours at reduced volume (ear buds) and reduced brightness level.
There is an available extended battery that Amazon has that will increase play to 60-300 minutes. It must be an Auxiliary Battery for Portable DVD Players, that supports 9 Volts, (AC/DC Adaptor: DC-IN 9V, 0.8A, 110-240v, 50/60Hz) and have a "G5" connector plug-pin (12mm x 3.5mm x 1.35mm) included that will plug into the AC/DC charge port of the DVD player.
5150+ comments| 1,000 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2015
This DVD player breaks after about 5-6 months of use - I have gone through 3 of them and the only reason I kept buying them is the larger screen - I was hoping that the broken ones were the exception but the same thing happened with all 3 and I take very good care of my equipment. The bottons start to not function correctly - the play button turns the volumn down, the enter button turns mute on, etc. It is extremely frustrating and annoying.
44 comments| 184 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2014
My use is not while traveling, but to use individually by a shut-in. It is quite convenient to set a player beside the recliner and be able to change discs without having to have someone else replace discs in the tv player.
I have owned several (10) portable players that we have shared with others. This 13.3 inch Sylvania is the best individual player we have owned. Our 10" Sony was an excellent machine, but with touch controls or remote it was difficult for unsteady fingers to operate. 7" players are O.K but really are too small for individual use.
This Sylvania 1332 is quite light and convenient to operate. It would probably be unwieldy to use while traveling, but sits on a side table beautifully. Other reviewers are critical of this low priced player. Don't expect Premium sound or picture for less than $400.00, but this player is perfect for us. The sound will not rattle the windows, but is very comfortable for individual listening. It is no problem to increase the sound when starting up a disc. I tried the SD slot for pictures only to find the slot was faulty. No Problem! I just plugged into the USB (Universal Serial Bus) to read a back up of hundreds of pictures. It took a little more time than my laptop to read the index of many folders, but we were soon able to select any picture we wanted to view. Unless one is wanting to edit or print a picture we found this was an excellent way to view memories while sitting on the couch.
I tried several discs and found any disc I put in worked. Even a large MP3 (several numbers) would read and play.
I really like the conhtrols on this player since using large unsteady fingers feel better on the controls. We didn't even open the remote since the machine will be typically within reach while being used. The remote buttons are too close together and unhandy for most seniors.
This is great for viewing DVD's. Again we have hundreds of movies so it is quite convenient to put one in the player and if I fall asleep I can readily replay the disc upon awakening.
This player is my first choice for most shut-ins but probably unwieldy for little children. I don't really need another player right now but I will watch the pricing and probably purchase another for a spare. Typically I can order from Amazon and have my product is a short few days. I find this light player is much more usable than my laptop and with less than perfect sound. I don't know anything about longevity but this machine feels quite sturdy for my use. I recommend this Sylvania 1332 for a good low priced player.
77 comments| 369 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2017
It's been a year since my purchase and the buttons on the PLAYER & REMOTE CONTROL ARE EVEN WORSE THAN BEFORE - they're not functioning correctly! Can't even SELECT function most times! The buttons just get STUCK! TOOOOOOOO FRUSTRATING AND ANNOYING. Best to avoid this player!
on May 31, 2017
Nice size dvd player. Picture quality is good. It's very light weight. Plastic device. Almost feels empty when you hold it.
My older dvd 7 inch portable player is very very heavy but it was made over ten years ago.( I think I relate solid and heavy to better quality.)
The door sometimes takes a couple of times to close. But it works.
on May 14, 2017
Arrived with dead remote battery, played only one disc before a "no disc" came on screen upon inserting a dvd. So I'll return this. Sorry we wasted each other's time.
on September 12, 2015
Device arrived in great working order and it was easy to use for the most part. I even saved the packaging it came in for future use. I think the little remote is pretty useless, but if you don't mind using the buttons on the device itself, it works well. The sound from the speakers 'echoes' a little, but all-in-all it's a great, lightweight device to play DVDs. I got it for travel so I could bring my favorite workout DVD, though it has many other uses. The CD player in my car (2005 model that I don't plan to replace anytime in the next few years) is busted, so this will work well for audio CDs on road trips. I truly wanted it to also play Blu-rays, but it does not. All the portable Blu-ray players currently on the market are either way overpriced or got terrible reviews, so I didn't want to risk the purchase. This particular device got loads of great reviews and for my main purpose was exactly what I needed. The 4-star rating was for two reasons: the useless remote & the sound echo, but not enough of an issue to make me not want to use it.
on May 13, 2015
I really wanted it to work because it is light weight and the screen size is huge. Unfortunately the DVDs would not always load. Plus when they did load player would freeze in the middle. Looks like a common problem according to other reviews. Glad I bought it from amazon which made it easy to return.
on December 9, 2015
Less than 4 months from the purchase date the selector buttons stopped functioning correctly. I called the manufacturer and asked if they could help and they said that they only guaranteed their product for 90 days. Pathetic. If I wanted anything done I would have to spend over $50 in labor and shipping fees since the product was now out of warranty. I will not buy a Sylvania DVD player again. I am very disappointed. The DVD player has been used seldom.
on December 16, 2015
Player lasted through perhaps 40 - 50 movies, and then started a very audible grinding sound while the disc was playing, making it impossible to enjoy watching a movie. The warranty was only good for 90 days, and this machine barely lasted six months. It worked out that I paid approximately $2.00 per play. Do not purchase without a warranty plan, or you may lose your money.