Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 721 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 775 reviews
on October 25, 2014
I bought three of these 11 months ago for my kids to watch during a road trip from Oklahoma to Canada and below is my review:
Battery Life: Plays for about 3 hours before needing a charge.
Quality of picture & Sound: Great picture and sound quality. Sound was loud enough even without headphones
Usabiliy: My kids ages 3-7 were able to operate the player with minimal help from me. It was great because they were able to change the dvd, stop, play, rewind, forward without my assistance.
Charging: The dvd comes with a car charger and wall charger. It takes about 2 hours to fully charge a completely drained battery.
Carrying bag and car headrest mount: The dvd comes with a carrying bag and a headrest mount but there are of very cheap quality and very flimsy. I bought a different headrest mount.
Overall quality: I first bought these 11 months ago and since then, one of them cannot close because the latch that keeps the dvd locked inside the player broke. The second one just stopped playing; the player was not reading the dvd and keeps saying "no disc" even when there is a disc inside it. My friend has the same dvd player and she too had the same problem, so I am guessing the quality of the player is not that great.
Overall: If you are looking for something inexpensive that works...then go for this one but dont expect them to last for long especially if you have kids using them . if you are looking for quality and durability...then I would suggest you invest in a more expensive player.
on April 14, 2015
I bought this for an overnight stay in the hospital. As I was unable to sleep post-op, I found myself watching roughly 14 hours of movies with very little break in between. It worked well and I feel good about its use long term. I only ran it off the plug and haven't tried the battery life on it. Picture quality was good as was the speakers.

Note: if you pause the movie and close the lid. Provided it stays powered on, you can return to the exact moment when you paused it.
review image
on May 18, 2016
This DVD player is excellent. I had a few problems with finding some of the features, finally succeeded (I'm a bit technology challenged); it definitely is a fine product. It is reliable and the visual quality of DVDs played on it is excellent. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to have a player for their children or themselves. High quality product.
on August 24, 2016
We ordered our first one about a year ago for a long road trip for our then 7 month old daughter. as she has gotten older and more interested in a few cartoons, we let her watch them sometimes in the car when we go places. Swapping the DVD player between our vehicles became somewhat of a hassle, so we decided to order a second one since the first one had exceeded our expectations. I looked through my order history and found the exact same one to order again. From the get go with the second one we ordered, we have been disappointed. sometimes it will not play "all episodes" on the DVD as selected, but the most annoying issue is that it randomly resets and goes back to the very beginning of the previews. it will do this 3 to 4 times in a 45 minute trip. at this point my daughter isn't old enough to express that it bothers her, but it is poor quality in my opinion and I know it will be an issue when she gets older, if the DVD player if lasts that long. which I don't imagine will be the case since it came to us in such poor working order. Another issue we have with the second one is that the volume does not turn up very loud at all. The first one we ordered we keep the volume turned very low or it drowns out the radio in the front. the second one we keep turned up to the max and can barely hear it in the front. I don't know what changed in the months between ordering them, but they need to change back to the way they were making them.
on March 4, 2017
Ever since we received this product, it randomly displays "Open" during use and then restarts the DVD though the DVD door was not opened. This happens at different times, sometimes an hour in, sometimes as soon as 10 minutes in. We were still within the 90 day warranty window, so we called Sylvania to find out how to get a replacement or have the DVD player fixed and they informed us that we would have to pay to ship it to them, pay to ship it back, and pay to insure the shipment back to us. The cost would be about 33% of the original cost of the product and not really worth it. We will stay away from Sylvania products in the future based on their poor customer service and "warranties".
on May 16, 2011
I got this portable DVD player for myself a few weeks ago and so far I am very happy with it. The color and appearance are great. The picture on the 7 inch screen is very clear. I haven't had any problems with skipping or anything. It is also very easy to use. My 6 year old daughter likes to watch it with the headphones when I'm using the big T.V. that way she can watch her cartoons and doesn't have to leave my side. And even though she has dropped it, spilled bubble blowing solution on it, and stepped on it, it just took a lickin and kept on ticking.
It would also make a great gift for someone who travels a lot or who is in a nursing home. And you cant beat the price. You definitely get your moneys worth with this Sylvania portable DVD player.
0Comment| 211 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2015
Big caution here - the item currently being shipped matches the image at the very top of the catalog page and NOT the detailed product description image further down on the catalog page. This reviewer was replacing a unit that is identical to the image on the lower section of the catalog page and must say that Sylvania really went CHEAP on the newer issue of this unit.

The unit now has several major flaws compared to the older edition of this model. First the outer case is extremely cheap in it's feel and construction. The larger circular button at the lower right section of the unit actually feels like it is a .59 cent dog clicker for training a puppy.
Beyond that issue the unit also no longer comes with a separate remote control but instead has a "virtual remote" that is both awkward to access and even worse to navigate. The indicated automotive adapter is also no longer included and apparently must be purchased separately if one is still even available. The product description indicates wide screen but the viewing area is more square than wide.

The functions of the buttons on the unit are odd in that they are different than any unit this reviewer has seen- enter is not the center of the large button where it is usually located but instead one must hit the double right arrow- this is just one of several "seems off" placement of function buttons.

The unit itself does play but mechanical noise is rather obvious and if you prefer quieter movies it would be a distraction in viewing experience. This unit is a pass in this reviewer's opinion which is sad as the earlier model was a nice unit that provided excellent service. The current model feels like it would be lucky to last six weeks. Think difference between an actual cell phone and a child's toy cell phone and you will get an idea of the quality of the unit presented on this catalog page
on April 11, 2017
Does almost all that it says it does EXCEPT one key thing:

I put a bunch of MP3 files on a DVD. While it allows you to navigate folders of MP3 files and play any MP3, you cannot fast forward or rewind while playing any MP3 file. You can stop/start/pause, but you cannot fast forward or rewind. So if you stop while playing a file that is 45 minutes long. You can only restart that file at the beginning. Very inconvenient.
on May 19, 2017
It's a simple DVD player: works well, durable, with decent video and sound quality. My biggest con is the volume control! In order to adjust the volume, you have to press and hold the stop or play buttons, and there are times when the stop button is pressed and ends your movie short, forcing you to start from the beginning and fast forward to where you were kicked off. Very inconvenient especially for those not accustomed! I could imagine it would be difficult for children or those of older age not accustomed. A simple volume dial adjuster would have been more feasible!
on April 11, 2017
This is not a fancy player with bells and whistles - it's very simple. The best features are the small size and very light weight. Cons: doesn't start where you left off when you power down; the onscreen remote is difficult to access and use; buttons serve multiple functions (e.g., the volume buttons are also the buttons that display the onscreen remote and stop the DVD - to adjust the volume, you hold the button down for several seconds when it then starts racing up or down so it's difficult to make minor adjustments); and the volume doesn't go up high enough sometimes (e.g., when you're watching a documentary and the person interviewed is speaking softly or when you're trying to listen to a commentary (might be better with earphones, but I don't use them)). It's fine for now, but I don't think I would buy it again.