Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 685 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 732 reviews
on November 16, 2013
***** UPDATED Jan. 11, 2014 **********

I had a couple of people tell me that they could not get their copter transmitters to connect. After playing with the sequence a bit, we found that on some copters (not all... go figure) the TX should be turned on and initialized BEFORE the copter gets to the gyro initialization process - which makes it even more important to be ready to set it on a level surface before plugging the battery in. Anyway, this sequence change seems to address the problem some of the copters were having. The instructions have been updated to reflect this change.

Now back to your regularly scheduled review...

*****************************************

I've been in R/C for 30+ years, and was very involved in R/C helis. This was my first quadcopter, and have enjoyed it very much. The hardest thing about this copter is getting it out of the box. Lots of cheap fun, and definitely a gateway drug to the hobby-grade multi-rotor platforms. But as many have commented, the instructions are horrible. So, I wrote this revised instruction manual when I gave these as Christmas presents.

Revised Instructions for QuadCopter -

The original instructions are written in horrible Chinglish, but you're welcome to read them if you want. Plus, they have pictures.

As a note - the instruction refer to the default transmitter control mode as "Mode 1", where the left stick controls the throttle&rudder, and the right stick controls the forward&aft, aileron left&right. In the real R/C world, this is called "Mode 2", (and most of us in thew US fly in this mode), so the folks writing the original instructions got it backwards. In any event, don't worry about it. It initializes in true Mode 2 so you don't need to change it... unless you're used to true Mode 1 - then you're on your own to try and use the original instructions to figure out how to switch it.

Batteries:

1. You'll need to charge the little silver rectangle LiPoly battery using the USB charger that's in the package with the replacement props. It'll take about an hour (or less). You can plug it in to any USB port or USB phone charger. I charge it while placing it on a plate since I don't always trust these Chinese charger/battery combinations to not catch fire, but I'm paranoid.

2. Install (4) AA batteries (not supplied) in the transmitter (TX).

Once the LiPo battery is charged, and the TX has batteries, you're ready to go.

Pre-flight:

1. There is no off-on switch on the copter. When you plug the battery in, the quadcopter is "on". Plugging it in snaps it into the red connector and two plastic latches that hold the battery in. These latches are semi-annoying and really over-kill, but they will keep the battery from flying out if you do a series of fast pirouetting spins. I'll leave it to you whether you want to snip the barbs off or not. You may want to wait to do so until you've flown it a bit.

Before you plug the battery in, you need to be ready to set it down on a flat surface quickly, because you'll need to sync the controller before it goes into the gyro initialization sequence. It's handy to have a table nearby to set it down, sync the TX, allow the gyros to initialize, and once you have a solid red LED on the copter (and solid blue on the TX), move it to its take-off and landing zone.(LZ) So, ready, set, here we go...

1. Plug the battery in to the belly of the quadcopter. The red LED on the copter starts flashing about twice a second. Set it down on a flat surface.

2. Turn on the TX. It beeps and the blue LED flashes rapidly. Move the throttle (left stick) all the way down, then all the way up (TX will beep), and then all the way down again. Now the blue LED will go solid "on", and red copter LED will turn off momentarily, and then start flashing much faster (it's initializing the gyros).

3. Once the fast flashing stops, the red LED on the copter will go to a solid "on". Now place it in the flat LZ area. BE CAREFUL NOT TO MOVE THE THROTTLE (LEFT) STICK WHILE YOU'RE MOVING IT TO THE LZ OR ELSE IT WILL COME TO LIFE ON YOU!

It's now ready to fly.

Flying the quadcopter:

A couple of things to know: The left stick is throttle (up and down), and rudder, or rotate left or right. The right stick is forward and backward, or tilt left and right. The white propellers are the front of the copter - you'll be able to see them as they spin - and the black props are the rear. They will mostly disappear visually as they spin.

You have to "fly the tail" on this because it will keep pointing in the same direction no matter which direction it is moving. It has no real rudder to keep it pointing forward as you fly it forward, which is a little strange if you're used to flying planes or helicopters (without heading-hold).

1. The TX has a silver button on the upper left corner (and another button on the upper right corner... but don't touch that button! ...for now). This left-side button switches the TX from low sensitivity to high sensitivity. The LCD screen on the TX shows this with an "L" or an "H". The TX always starts in low mode, but I find it's not responsive enough for my liking, so I press the button and switch to high ("H") mode. You might start in "L" just to get a feel first.

2. Make sure you have a fairly large area to start with, preferably inside so the wind doesn't throw you off. An empty garage is a good place to learn how this flies.

3. Lift the copter up off of the LZ by raising the left stick. It will probably start to drift left or right, or tilt or turn. Set it back down by lowering the left stick and then use the trim tabs around the two sticks to correct the drift. Toggle the trim tab levers in the opposite direction of the drift you are trying to correct. Do this a few "beeps" at a time. Repeat the lift-watch-set down-trim process until it's fairly stable. Then you're ready to fly it around.

4. First step - Learn to hover it in one spot.

5. Second step - start moving backwards and forwards, left and right, and rotate left and right (with the left stick) also.

6. As you get more comfortable, you can begin flying it around. It will handle calm outside conditions, so outdoor flight is possible. Try flying easy figure-8 patterns.

7. The props are fairly resilient, but if you're about to hit something, chop the throttle and let it fall. It will do less damage that way and will probably survive the drop unscathed.

Acrobatic 360 flip:

Yes - It will do this with a touch of a button (remember that upper right button on the TX?) by holding down the button on the top right corner of the TX and moving the right stick left (or right, depending on which way you want it to flip - it will flip forward and backwards, too!). Make sure you are at least 4 feet above the ground when you do this, and keep in mind that it will continue to try and flip as long as you hold the stick to the right or left. It happens pretty fast, so be prepared to be startled.

That's it! Have fun!
66 comments| 185 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2012
Let me preface by saying that I own around 40 RC helicopter ranging from high end $3000 gassers to cheap $25 fp toys. This was my first quad. I bought this at the 49.99 price point and have no regrets even though they are now 39.99

This has been the best $50 that I have spent in a long time. There are so many things going for this kit, where do I begin.

The Good
-Incredibly durable. I have crashed countless times from goofing around and flying indoors and have yet to cause any permanent damage. Even though this is a cheap product they made good choices in durable materials.
-Very stable and easy to fly. My wife has no experience with helicopters, but I was able to get her to try this out in our living room.
-Stable in outdoor conditions. I was surprised at the ability to fly this in light-breeze conditions.
-Payload capacity. For fun, I strapped an iPod nano to the bottom to shoot video. This weighs 35 grams and the quad seemed to be able to handle it.
-It can do flips! Nuf said.

The Bad
- Not a whole lot to say but.....
-I had some glitching problems, but rerouted the antenna through the canopy, and they seemed to go away.
-Battery life is better than the similar sized fp helicopters but with as much fun as these are, it always seems short. Spare batteries can be had for about $7.

In conclusion, after buying one of these I bought five more at the new lower price and plan on giving them away as Christmas gifts this year. This product should be up there as one of the best toys of the year.
77 comments| 285 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2012
We were disapointed in this toy on Christmas morning. It was impossible to fly - it just went sideways as soon as it took off and nothing we did seemed to calibrate it sufficiently to hover. The instruction manual says "After charging the aircraft the light will flash for ten seconds. Turn on the aircraft and controller and wait for flashing lights to indicate the aircraft is ready for flight." What it fails to mention is that it is critical to place the "aircraft" on a flat surface at his time IMMEDIATELY after inserting the battery. The model then apparently is able to calibrate itself and will hover reasonably stablely. The online manual clued me in to our mistake (we were probably holding the model in our hands in an un-level position for the first dozen seconds after plugging in the battery)

"When insert the charged battery, quad copter will into automatic detection state (the indicator light flashing swift in the first ten seconds when power on) at that time, please place it at a level position, if not copter will fly inclined"

Plug in the battery, put it down right away on the floor or table top. This should be included in the printed instruction manual, the toy is worthless without this knowledge. But once you know the secret, it works quite well and I can recommend it.
2020 comments| 382 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2014
Sometimes it is crazy what 40 bucks will buy, this is one of those times. The syma helicopters are pretty cool, but this is way beyond those.
It is NOT nearly as easy to fly as their helicopters, so prepare to have more of a learning curve.

Pros
- it works outside
- the remote has an LCD screen that will show you what the control levers will do
- flies high and fast
- flips are fun
- crashes and keeps on going
- moves pretty well

Cons
-the biggest con is the way this battery works, you have to take it out to charge it and it is rather tedious to do so.
-the battery falls out crashes
-the start-up process is annoying and it seems to lose the binding to the controller to easily
-sometimes on start-up it calibrates itself wrong for what level is, even if you start it on level

--------------------
If you find this review helpful or not, please use the indicator. I have found other's reviews very helpful; therefore I am doing the same. In theory, if everyone would leave unbiased feedback good/bad it would help the manufacturers provide better products.
However, there is a higher than normal defective rate with this quad, and also A LOT of returns due to the poor user manual.

REVIEW:

Let me start by telling something the manual doesn't. HOW TO SYNC THE CONTROLLER.

The manual isn't very clear on how to bind the transmitter to the quad.

A. Put the battery in the quad and set it on a level surface to calibrate level flight and leave it there until after the quad LED starts to blink in rapid succession.

B. After you see the rapid blinks start on the quad, turn on the transmitter and watch its led blink for a few seconds.

C. take the left control and push it all the way up to the top, and then quickly back down to zero throttle. The light on the controller should now be glowing solid, as should the led on the quad. It should be ready to fly! Enjoy!

Now that the above is done. Let me tell you about the quad.

There are lots of people on youtube that are thrilled with this little guy, and rightly so! It takes little time to get to learn how to fly it.

Low and High Settings:
In low level or "L" you will have a tough time flying this in any wind outside. In "H" or High level you should be able to fly this no problem.

First try to learn to hover and control it inside in a large room on L mode. learn to hover, and move the quad around within say a 5 foot diameter inside. Learn all the controls and then take it outside.

Cons:

They make these cheaply(selling them for around 35 dollars), and there are some quality issues.

This isn't so much a toy for untechnical kids or adults because of the quality issues.

However, since there are some quality issues, as they slap these together cheaply, if you don't want to look at the board, or know how to solder, you are stuck! Look at the WLtoys 9X9 series.

MY USE:

I ordered an 808 #16 camera to mount on it, and use it as a video platform. In the future I intend to step up to one of the large quads like the Horizon Hobby 350qx, or the DJI phantom.

MY EXPERIENCE WITH RC FLIGHT:

15 years ago, I had a 60" nitro powered Trainer, with a .40 nitro engine, and two electric HobbyZone Firebird IIs. I really enjoyed flying the 2 channel firebird II planes.

I did enjoy those electric planes a lot, and it got me outside. After I became busy, I sold the two Firebirds, and whished I had kept them ever since.

MY CONCLUSION:

I am quite pleased with this. Despite the quality issues(cold solder joints) it works quite well. I think the toy is quite advanced for the money(3 axis stabilization, the motors shut off if the bind to keep you from burning them up, and the replacement parts are quite cheap)

Hope this helps!

UPDATE TWO DAYS AFTER OWNING THE QUAD.

After just two days, and about 5 flights, I have learned to hover this quadcopter in mild winds(say gusts of 5mph) outside, and keep it pretty stationary to maybe a 15 feet x 10 feet rectangle area, which pleases me. Gusts are the hardest to manage, because it is constantly changing.

I have learned to pretty easily keep the copter oriented to what direction I want it in so that I know which controls to push.

When the battery gets low in the quad, it slowed the propellers and landed landed,

UPDATE AFTER A WEEK OWNERSHIP;
To be honest, I had to come back and take two stars off the review. This thing is great while it lasts, but when it breaks after a week like it did with me, your going to wonder if you have a fine enough tip on your soldering iron to fix it.

You can get replacement parts for this pretty cheaply, a control board for 9 dollars, and motors for 2.25 a piece.

UPDATE AFTER A MONTH.

I ordered 4 new motors, and a control board form banggood. I replaced the bad motor, and the quad flies, and hovers like new again. I can now hover hands free at any engine speed. I have 3 other motors, and a control board, so I should be able to keep it running for quite a while.

I think I am just going to keep it. After everything I have done, I am somewhat attached to it now. I have made a custom carrying case for it, and it all fits in neatly so I can hike with it to a destination.

IF YOU WANT TO SEE A VIDEO I DID, TYPE Mark Daniel Imaging into google, and look for "3 Days of Hiking in Snowy Maryland" on youtube...

Mark :)
review image review image
on October 7, 2014
So, after much digging around online in the reviews for several quad copters in this price range, I settled on the Syma X1 and the Hubsan X6. Both arrived the same day so I was able to test both copters against each other with out any bias to one or the other.

If you want the short version scroll to the bottom.

The Syma is much larger than the Hubsan, the Hubsan is the size of a single propeller of the Syma.

Of the two the Syma is SIGNIFICANTLY more stable than the Hubsan in flight, making it the ideal choice for a beginner.
The Hubsan is incredibly nimble, even with out using the advanced mode. I highly suggest practicing in beginner mode before using advanced mode, the Hubsan is face seeking indoors. You have been warned.

The Syma on the other hand is not nimble at all in beginner mode. This is good for learning to fly but not very fun if you already know what you are doing. If you have any experience flying at all flying the Syma in beginner mode will actually make it hard to fly due to the extremely limited range of motion in beginner mode. In beginner mode the Syma will basically just drift slightly in the direction you input, even at full tilt on the joystick. I think you could get it to move in a more nimble manner if you just blew on it really hard.

Using the advanced setting on the Syma does make the the copter significantly fun to fly, not anywhere near as nimble as the Hubsan in it's beginner mode, but still very fun to fly. The advanced mode on the Syma will become mandatory after 2 or 3 flights.

The stunt mode button on both the Syma and the Hubsan are basically just suicide buttons. Unless you have a ton of room and are able to fly at around 5 meters above ground I would suggest not pressing the stunt button to make them do flips, especially with the Hubsan. The Syma can do a complete flip from a height of about 3 meters but will likely bounce off the ground at the end of the loop. Seriously, don't use the flip button on the Hubsan unless you have a ton of room, it will come for your face and it will want blood.

Due to its small size, the Hubsan is ideal for flying in a very small area. The Syma however is not ideal for flying in a very confined area, you can do it but it won't be as fun as the Hubsan since all you will really be doing is narrowly avoiding walls and obstacles and not doing anything crazy with it.

Both of the copters have held up extremely well with durability. After about 50 flights on the Hubsan and around 30 on the Syma nothing has broken what so ever. The propellers were hard to remove on the Hubsan, to the point that I thought it would break, the first time I cleaned some string and hair out of the motors. The Hubsan seems to be a magnet for any string or hair in your carpet, the Syma on the other hand I have yet to need to clean. Of the two I have crashed the Hubsan significantly more times in various ways on various surfaces. (carpet, tile, concrete, the empty bath tub, and one wall) I have crashed the Syma in almost the exact same ways I have the Hubsan. (minus the bath tub) However, I should mention that I have crashed the Syma significantly less times than the Hubsan, due to the Hubsan's high mobility.

Now for the batteries. The Syma has a larger battery, it takes around an hour and a half to get a full charge. The Hubsan will charge in about 45 minutes. (manufacture tells you 30 but 30 minutes is drastically under charged, even the charger will tell you its not charged at 30 minutes) For the flight time the Syma flies around 2 or 3 times as long as the Hubsan. (around 20 minutes if you don't go full throttle) The Hubsan will fly for about 5 to 10 minutes. (the reason for the large range is due to external factors, such as having the blade guard on, the camera turned on, taking the plastic body off, putting in a SD card, or using advanced mode, and many other small things) I would fly the Hubsan till it died, then while charging I would fly the Syma, then the Hubsan again because of the charge times and flight times. In an hour and a half you can fly the Hubsan about 3 times, maybe 4 if you under charge it, and the syma once. (hence the difference in number of flights I had on the two)

Finally the Hubsan I got had a camera, the Syma does not have one. The Hubsan's camera is horrible don't get the camera upgrade. For some reason it has a microphone in it that records nothing but the extremely loud sound of the motors. Resolution is horrible, so is its ability to adjust to different light levels. Seriously, save your money and don't get the camera option.

So, to summarize:

Both copters are fun and worth the money.
Hubsan is better for advanced flyers due to its high mobility.
Syma has the longer flight time but a very long charge time.
Hubsan is better if you only have a small area to fly (like a very small apartment)
Syma is the best option for a beginner or a child.
Hubsan camera is useless, don't pay extra.

If you are a beginner or are buying for a child get the Syma,
If you know how to fly or are buying for a bored teenager / college student get the Hubsan.

Remember - the Hubsan wants your blood and will get it eventually, be careful.
on September 8, 2013
I have been flying helicopters for several years and I bought this as my first quad. I love it. It's pretty maneuverable. The forward/backward/left/right controls are a little sensitive but once it gets off the ground it works well. It is very reasonably priced and it looks cool too.I can recommend it. If you want to be able to fly it follow these tips:

Taking off
Push right stick to hover and
Push left stick any direction to go
Any direction.

There is A round silver button
On the upper right corner. Press
It and pull the right stick in any
Direction it will flip that way.

Landing
Try to land softly and don't go
Straight down. You have to ease
It down otherwise it will go straight
down and crash

Turning
Take the right stick and press
up and take the left one and press
Sideways.
Note:it does wide turns.
on August 6, 2015
I like this little bird. It's not good in wind but otherwise fun. I do suggest, however, that you avoid flying it around areas with sand. My son landed it on our sandy community volleyball court and the sand got in the motor gears. One grain of sand locks up the whole propeller. It took me 20 minutes, using a sewing needle, to clear grains of sand from between each gear tooth.

Also it's hard to tell which direction this thing is turned.

I much prefer my WL Toys V911 Pro heli. It's tough, decent in minor wind and loads more fun.
on May 18, 2014
This is my first quadcopter. I settled on this unit after reading great reviews and comparing prices with other similar models.

The short version of my review is this: this quad is a great value, is quite durable, and I highly recommend it.

Longer version:
The Syma X1 is great fun and will take a decent beating. It definitely has a learning curve for a beginner but spending an hour or two should gain you all the experience you need to have lots of fun.
As other reviewers have mentioned, the pairing process to the control unit is not straightforward, but once you have that figured out there aren't any other big issues with the unit.
One note on the controller: The trim adjusters may not seem to do anything at first, but keep nudging them in the direction you want to adjust and you'll note the LCD indicator changing to indicate the trim level. If the quad is listing one way or another it may take 5-10 nudges on the trim adjuster to even it out.

Plusses:
1. Impressive durability. I flew this into my fish tank by mistake. I immediately removed the quad from the water and removed the battery. After letting it dry, the quad continues to function with no apparent problems. I've also flown it into walls and ceilings more times than I can count with no consequences other than a few scratches on the rotors.
2. Great value. I have no experience with other quads, but for the price I paid for this, I am very impressed with how well it flies and the quality. Materials are not top notch, but the unit does exactly what I expected: responds well to my inputs and takes a beating without quitting.
3. Decent battery life. The small battery that comes with the unit will provide between 10-15 minutes of total flight time, depending on how often you are bringing it back to the ground to rest. I haven't tried the bigger 550 or 600 mAh batteries; that may be my first upgrade.

Minuses (minor):
1. The wire for the battery charger became disconnected near the point where it plugs into the battery. I can still charge the battery but the wire now comes out of the charging connector very easily.
2. The battery cage on the quad makes inserting and removing the battery pretty annoying. Another reviewer mentioned breaking off the tabs that hold the battery in; this may improve the ease of insertion/removal but I haven't worked up the nerve yet as I don't want to lose the battery.

If you are considering this quadcopter, I highly recommend it!
on July 26, 2013
The first one we got wouldn't hover in place due to a weak motor. It took a while to figure out that the copter was defective, rather than the pilot. Amazon return was easy, as always.

The 2nd one, from our local hobby shop, flies great! Real easy, works outside in MILD breeze, and has decent charge time. It can handle more wind, and fly longer, than my Blade MSR. And crashes far less, due to easy piloting. There is no TBE or 'pendulum on a string' effect with the quad. You really have to drive it into something to crash it, whereas with my MSR, going too fast or turning wrong at speed will send it careening out of control, as least for me, and I have 100 or so flights on that.

Removed one star due to the defect, and the 'dumb' charger, but functionally it's great. Hard to find a more fun toy for $40! I now recommend this for beginners, instead of a coaxial copter, as it's MUCH more capable and almost as simple to control. Something like the MSR is another level of speed, complexity, and coolness, though.