- Audio CD (May 27, 2008)
- Number of Discs: 1
- Label: Orfeo
- ASIN: B0018QCX8W
- Average Customer Review: 4.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,782,263 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)
Have one to sell?
See all formats and editions Hide other formats and editions
1. Symphony No. 9 in D minor ('Choral'), Op. 125: Allegro ma non troppo e un poco maestoso
2. Symphony No. 9 in D minor ('Choral'), Op. 125: Molto vivace - Presto
3. Symphony No. 9 in D minor ('Choral'), Op. 125: Adagio molto e cantabile - Andante moderato
4. Symphony No. 9 in D minor ('Choral'), Op. 125: Finale: Presto
5. Symphony No. 9 in D minor ('Choral'), Op. 125: 'O Freunde, nicht diese Töne' - 'Freude, schöne Götterfunken'
Top Customer Reviews
By Archaeologist on July 8, 2009
Verified PurchaseComment Sending feedback...
This recording of the 1955 is a live recording with the Vienna Philharmonic a few months after Karajan's taking over of the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra and also the Vienna Philharmonic following the death of Furtwängler. The CD booklet says that this recording is better than the previous one with the Vienna Philharmonic in 1947 (EMI) and the 1963 recording (DG). I don't think so, and this for two reasons: Karajan's reading of the 9th is a new way of conducting Beethoven's symphony, right, but there is no big difference between this one and the 1947 reading; the second reason is technical. The remastering of this recording is unfortunately inferior to the one by Furtwängler (also ORFEO) and it is not much better than the 1947 studio recording (EMI). For listening to it clearly, I had to put the volume almost to its highest. It has been recorded in a low pitch. So, the sound quality is not what one can expect from historical recording remastered with today's technology. But, this is a great reading of Karajan, and for the sake of its historical value, one should get it. So, just four stars, but don't be disappointed. It is poignant conducting.
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again