Symphony No. 9 with Claudio Abbado and Berliner Philharmoniker
|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
(Jul 31, 2007)
Top Customer Reviews
The documentary is followed by a simply magnificent performance of Dvorák's Symphony No. 9, 'From the New World', as recorded live at the May 2002 'Europe Concert' at the Teatro Massimo in Palermo, Sicily.Read more ›
For those unfamiliar with Dvorak and his Czech roots, you are in for a treat. In my uneducated way, I see him as a cross between Tchaikovsky and Mozart in his mastery of strings and woodwinds. His lyrical themes, particularly, in Symphony #9, come one after another. The Largo movement, as is stressed in the featurette, must be one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written.
I highly recommend this DVD to anyone with an interest in classical music. Once you've heard this symphony you will be hooked and will look, perhaps in vain, for others like it. Beethoven's 5th and 6th Symphonies are worth a try; along with Tchaikovsky's Symphonies #4 and 5. But if they meet Dvorak's #9, they don't surpass it.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
i play this dvd in my store almost every morning. great sound quality and great picture. i gave four other dvds by the same companyPublished on March 13, 2014 by paul
The same performance is found in "Europa Konzert From Palermo" togather with Brahms's violin concerto that I bought four years ago. Read morePublished on March 24, 2009 by N.Y.
Look for Similar Items by Category
- CDs & Vinyl > Classical > Forms & Genres > Symphonies
- CDs & Vinyl > Classical > Symphonies
- Movies & TV > Educational
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > DTS
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Arts & Entertainment
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Music Videos & Concerts
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Performing Arts
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Special Interests
- Movies & TV > Musicals & Performing Arts > Classical
- Movies & TV > TV