Oil month Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

The Synonym Finder
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(3 star). See all 358 reviews
on March 6, 2018
There is a better synonym finder on line - Rhyme Zone Rhyming and Synonym finder is the best one line and better than this. I thought this would help when I was away from a computer but it cannot compare with the Thesaurus I have been using since I was 16. ROGETS International Thesaurus THIRD EDITION. Make sure that you get the THIRD EDITION it is the last one made the way a thesaurus was meant to be. BOTH in dictionary form and also grouped by meaning. If you are a serious writer, you cannot beat the THIRD EDITION OF ROGETS.
on October 15, 2017
I bought the Kindle version. While in general the book is useful and very detailed, Kindle is not the ideal format. When you search for a term, the software returns all instances where the term appears, instead of getting straight to the main instance. This makes it very difficult to browse it, because many terms are used hundreds of times in the book.
on December 5, 2016
I cannot find the NEWEST edition! What I was sent was an old hardback that looks nothing like the picture. You'll have to do a lot of research on ISBN numbers, etc. to ensure you get what you want ... and even then it's crapshoot. That being said, this is by far the most useful, complete "thesaurus" on the market.
on April 9, 2016
Even in this thesaurus, I don't seem to find what I'm looking for. It's not as good as Roget's International Thesaurus, which is much more detailed, and makes it easier to find things using the word lists in the index. It's comprehensive over all, but it could be better.
on September 20, 2016
I bought this reference book with the intention of using it for many years as I continue to write. It is easy to use and quite comprehensive for my needs. The deduction of 2 stars is because the book was shoved in a much too small box causing significant damage to the cover and crimping of the first 250 pages. Still usable, of course, but already looks as though I've been using it for 10 years. Bummer.
on October 27, 2012
I'm a writer. Words matter to me, and I take pleasure in revising and polishing until each word delivers the right point and emphasis, and a look for sentences in which the sounds echo the sense. I've tried many resources including "What's What," and "The Ultimate Visual Dictionary." I've found no one resource fully satisfactory. I want a word finder that is complete and very fast. I don't want to interrupt my thinking with word searches.

The strength of this book is its completeness and directness. However, that completeness comes at a cost; the print is small and the paper thin. When I turn from writing at my computer, I need to change glasses to read the print in Synonym Finder, and even then I find myself also reaching for a magnifier. Fumbling with thin paper is also slow. There are no thumb tabs for easy access as on my edition of Roget.

There is also no categorizing of meanings as in my old, hardcover Roget Thesausus, so sometimes I need to look up several words before I find what I want. In the end, it takes as long to find the word in Rodale as in Roget. There, all the words I need appear together, though I must start looking at the index. In Synonym Finder there is no index. The search is direct, but I need to look in multiple places.

For those who write at a computer as I do, the ideal solution would be an electronic word finder. There is one on my computer, and it is always the first place I turn because it is instant. It distracts less from the thought processes of writing and polishing. However, it is way too small to provide the richness of vocabulary that I seek. I've looked for other electronic word finders without success. This book would be perfect if it were electronic.. How could it be that nobody has filled this need? As it is, I'm still using my Roget and waiting for the electronic version I dream of.
22 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 24, 2014
This book is huge! It isn't good for a young elementary student (it was recommended). But it is thorough.
on December 25, 2016
Like the "hard copy" that I have had for years. This is much easier to travel with but an entirely new learning curve on use. No easy flipping pages.
on August 1, 2014
I opted for a used one and find it's somewhat outdated, but good enough.
on July 24, 2014