Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Plus  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on April 8, 2008
EDIT: I would like to note that I've actually gone through TWO Sidekick LXs so far, with a third on the way in the mail. This is due to my bluetooth malfunctioning to such a degree that it can't be a fluke or occasional connection problem. I do not have high hopes for this third phone and I anticipate that I will also have to return the third one to swap for an equivalent but different brand phone just to have bluetooth functionality. If you don't use bluetooth, or don't mind a wired headset, this problem is irrelevant, but one of the main reasons I purchased an LX was because it did have bluetooth. I've not read online of anyone else having the same problem I have, so it is either a rare problem or I'm just absurdly unlucky. (and no, sadly, it isn't user error for me--I've troubleshooted this issue with TMobile quite a bit with no less than three bluetooth headsets from two different manufacturers)

Aside from that problem, the LX is a fine phone, and you can read my original review below.

My first Sidekick was the Sidekick II. I loved it! I skipped the Sidekick 3 because I heard a number of awful things about it. And now I own the Sidekick LX.

I actually purchased the Motorola Sidekick Slide first, because I liked the colors better and didn't see a real need for the upgraded Aquos screen. Big mistake. I was lucky and didn't get one of the ones with the notorious power-off problem, but it still had problems of its own. The MicroSD card, for instance? The Slide read it once, and then for some reason, it decided it couldn't read it anymore! Typing was uncomfortable compared to the SK2. I decided to go to the T-Mobile store and return it for a Sidekick LX.

Popped that same MicroSD card into the LX and it read it just fine!

I like my LX, I really, really do. But the lack of features really hurts:
-No Wifi support (Curve has this)
-No 3g support (Curve doesn't have this either)
-No A2DP Bluetooth support (you can't use bluetooth headphones to listen to your mp3s)
-The speaker on the phone sucks--when I'm using my phone directly (instead of my bluetooth headset) I have to turn the volume to the max to be able to hear who I'm talking to, and I have no hearing problems whatsoever!
-The camera REALLY sucks, I've not gone to compare yet but I remember my SK2 camera being better than this one!
-Very, very limited in what third party applications are available

There are some bonuses to the Sidekick LX:
-Cheapest data plan of all the T-Mobile data plans, and it gives you unlimited texting (the other plans do not), which is key if you're the type of person who sends lots of text messages.
-Terminal program (big selling point for me--don't worry if you don't know what it is, you probably won't need it)
-Big, clear screen
-Easy to use keyboard (it is larger than most smartphone keyboards and may be the best smartphone keyboard around)

Considering the price I paid for my Sidekick LX, I'm quite happy with the phone in spite of its flaws. There are a number of times I wish I had purchased the Helio Ocean or the Blackberry Curve instead. Unless the next Sidekick sports some of the more important features (3g, WiFi, A2DP Bluetooth) this will be my last Sidekick.

For text happy teens, however, this is the best phone on the market due to the data plan alone--unlimited text messages!
on April 2, 2008
What the SK3 should have BEEN & MORE!!!!!

This is a great DEVICE and really throws you in the social scene of TRENDY teens and early folks in there 20's. This device SCREAMS mainstream. The SK LX is everything the SK3 should have been and more. The SK3 had a washed out screen and ironically the SK2s screen and colors just POPPED while the SK3 was total dullsville. The SK3 couldn't even send picture messages and at one point i think mine started to not even accept picture messages. You get everything that was on the previous SKs accept this time the screen has been improved by 100% and its also a larger screen. You also get to send picture message but no camcorder or video message on this device. Which was a bit shocking, considering every standard cell phone has this feature i was a bit shocked that this one didn't have that. Perhaps maybe the SK4 will have it. You also get to record voice message that only last 20 seconds but you can send em to a friend for laughs. There is still no 3G service so your surfing the web at EDGE speeds and i live in NY and i haven't seen a slower browser then this one. There are certain times where its actually quite fast but i couldn't imagine trying to surf the web if i lived in Texas by the horses. Anyways this is a great buy and I love keyboard and as much I try to stay away from the SK I always find myself coming back to the device. Hopefully the next installment will fix all the flaws as the SK LX is just a cosmetic upgrade over the SK3. Real great device but for the price I would of liked to see a bit more new features added in.
on February 27, 2008
OKAY
THE SIDEKICK LX IS ONLY USEFUL TO PEOPLE WHO ARE INSTANT MESSAGE JUNKIES. TEXTING IS HORRIBLE, IT ONLY HOLDS 100 TEXTS INCOMING AND OUTGOING SO THERE IS ALWAYS A POP UP REMINDING U TO CLEAR IT OUT WHICH IS TOO OFTEN. THE INTERNET SUCKS PERIOD. ITS SUPER SLOW AND IT CAN ONLY VIEW CERTAIN PAGES. AND THE EMAIL ISNT THAT GREAT NEITHER IT CAN ONLY DISPLAY CERTAIN KINDS OF PICS.
ALL IN ALL THIS PHONE IS FOR KIDS WHO ENJOY INSTANT MESSAGING, AND MYSPACE ..ETC..
FOR THOSE USERS WHO PLAN ON GETTING IT FOR INTERNET BROWSING U WOULD WANNA GO THE OTHER WAY. I SUGGEST A PHONE PDA WITH MOBILE WINDOWS AND INTERNET EXPLOROR.
on January 24, 2008
I recently upgraded my sidekick from an ID to the new LX, and couldn't be more pleased. There were many things about the ID that frustrated me, such as a lack of camera and poor screen quality. The LX has a crystal clear sceen and a pretty good camera, considering it is still a phone. Of course the LX is pricey, but you will get what you pay for. I'm a sidekick girl at heart, and this was a great buy.
on February 28, 2008
Do not buy this phone. It is a waste of money. I see that the Sidekick Slide is not listed on Amazon probably because it is such a piece of junk.

I bought two Sidekicks at Christmas for my daughters. I was not told that unless i bough the additional $20 a month Sidekick package, the phones would not have the basic functionality available on other phones such as retaining contacts. THey also lose messages constantly.

When I talked to T-Mobile about this, the answer I received was basically, too bad. They didn't communicate that I would need the additional package but that's not their problem. So basically I paid them $440 for phones that are a piece of junk unless you are willing to increase your monthly bill by $20 a month per phone AND I am stuck in their two year contract.

I am seriously considering legal action.
on July 6, 2008
I LOVE MY SIDEKICK LX [BLUE] HAVE TO BE THE BEST PHONES EVER OUT THERE IT DOESNT HAVE VIDEO WHICH SUX BUT OTHER THAN THAT BECAREFUL CAUSE ITS ADDICTING LOLZ..CANT KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF OF IT
on April 11, 2008
WOW I LUV MY LX. BEST SK SINCE DA 2. I...I JUS LUV IT ITZ HOTTTTT, LOL!!!!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.